No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +6.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Resource converter on supply ships
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Resource converter on supply ships
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-12 19:58   
A device that would come standard on both Normal and Heavy supply ships.
While active, it would gradually process resources in cargo into supply units, up to the maximum of 1500.
On long expeditions, you needn't built supply platforms (though they are nice), just give resources to your supply ships.

Any suggestions, alternatives, or potential exploits that can't be worked around?
If you don't like the idea, can you explain why?

Radiance
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-11-12 20:22   
Seems like a fine idea....
But what is the resource to drone ratio? That's basically the only potential cause of a problem or exploit.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-12 20:33   
Quote:

On 2011-11-12 20:22, Catastrophe wrote:
Seems like a fine idea....
But what is the resource to drone ratio? That's basically the only potential cause of a problem or exploit.

I have been giving that some thought, I was hoping some of you might be able to give some ideas of a reasonable ratio.
Considering that ships hold resources in stacks of 5000, a 1:1 ratio would be too low I think. Maybe 1 supply for every 5 resource units?
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2011-11-12 20:35 ]

µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-12 21:17   
this is a Great Idea maybe make it so supply ships use resources as supplies to repair directly from the support ships cargo instead of drones.

Email µOmniVore
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-12 22:08   
I like, but the conversion rate would either have to be really slow (so it wouldn't really matter how many resources you have) or it would have to be really resource hungry (so you would run out very quickly).

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-13 04:22   
Quote:

On 2011-11-12 22:08, Incinarator |SoT| wrote:
I like, but the conversion rate would either have to be really slow (so it wouldn't really matter how many resources you have)

I think this is the best solution.
on the other hand, it's nearly impossible to run out of supply drones anyway, as it takes ages just to get rid of all your drones. Maybe do it like this: the moment you run out, you start converting every 20 seconds, you convert 10 rescources for 50 drones. Think of it as they have the space to start converting when it's empty. How they do it when they filled it nearly up is up to you.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-13 11:09   
1500 supply is just about enough to repair a dread and a half. After that, you'll need to find a supply platform or a depot, both of which use resources, the latter needing a constant supply to keep running.

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-13 12:06   
You could also rework the system. Supply platforms and depots need recourses, but the supply ship suddenly uses supply drones?
Instead of supply drone slots, change them to conversion slots or something. These slots will then eat up recourses instead of supply drones. A supply ship with dual supply drones will simply eat up recourses twice as fast and repair twice as fast as usual. But it will only eat up recourses when it's repairing someone else just like repairing now.

This way, ally's can actually help by carrying some recourses along with them, and when the supply ship asks they can give them some.

Drawback is that you cannot resupply your supply drones by closing in on a supply platform. On the other hand, you can probably carry a load more recourses worth of supply droones then you used to, so you can last longer anyway, and you can use the spoils of war (other ships shot down) to replenish yourself.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Radiance
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-11-13 13:34   
I think the conversion rates need to be somewhere around 5 res for 1 "tick" of repair. Or maybe even 10:1.
We are, after all, talking about a mobile supply line that is very hard to break.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-13 19:00   
The idea is wonderful, but it would completely change the supply chain dynamics and require a great deal of testing and work. Honestly, I doubt the devs have time to worry about what is a relatively small part of the game.

Demigan
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2011-11-14 03:34   
Quote:

On 2011-11-13 19:00, Incinarator |SoT| wrote:
The idea is wonderful, but it would completely change the supply chain dynamics and require a great deal of testing and work. Honestly, I doubt the devs have time to worry about what is a relatively small part of the game.

It wouldn't completely change the supply chain dynamics. Instead of one supply ship being able to resupply by jumping to a depot or supply platform, you have to carry rescourses. You can change the conversion rate so that a full cargo is only a little bit more then 2000 repair drones (so not to undercut the heavy supply ship who normally carries 3000 repair drones).
With the spoils of war you can last longer, and still maintain repairs, without ever having to return to a supply platform or depot, drawback is of course that you have to risk yourself a bit to collect the spoils of war.

As you said, it's only a relative small part of the game, so why not change it?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-11-14 06:44   
good idea. so suppies would also have to get a bit more armor, a bit, or no? and scanner to find the spoils at all, since they arent visible until you get close.

we need more devs

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-14 08:37   
a supply ship does more then drop resources on someone, it actually repairs them. to convert resources to reps, there needs to be a device added to the ship that takes care of the conversion.

Once this device been implemented it can also b used to recharge damage control and ahr, and why doesnt it refill weapons while we at it?

where do we end up? all ships get refills from resources, supply ships are useless, so the modifications get revoked.

I mean, wouldnt it b cool to have a ship with auxillery solar panels to recharge its energy systems, but while the panels are out ur shield/armor layers are down or something? well because theres a huge balance shift that needs to be corrected

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2011-11-14 09:07   
Quote:

On 2011-11-14 08:37, Pinky & The Brain wrote:
to convert resources to reps, there needs to be a device added to the ship that takes care of the conversion.

where do we end up? all ships get refills from resources, supply ships are useless, so the modifications get revoked.

pinky the thread is about only supply ships receiving this device. when they have resources they can recharge their supply drones (only) by converting resources to supply drones.

the thread is about making making resources useful for supply ships. +1 to it.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2011-11-14 13:29   
yes but its about the baby steps leading to it. when taking one step forward, one should consider the next 2 steps....

supply ships do need some activity outside of staying alove though...so once we all agree it will be confined to the supply its not bad..But I said the same thing about ai and confinement...

so i just say -1

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025827 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR