Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Is there an introduction for newbie manual?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Is there an introduction for newbie manual?
gcw2011
Captain

Posted: 2012-01-08 03:58   
This seems to be a good space adventure game, but I can't find any short and clear intro for new comers. Please help!

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 04:07   
Quote:

On 2012-01-08 03:58, gcw2011 wrote:
This seems to be a good space adventure game, but I can't find any short and clear intro for new comers. Please help!

the wiki should have some good info, you can also find the manual and read that as well. Both are located in the sidebar to the left.

gcw2011
Captain

Posted: 2012-01-08 04:33   
Thanks for the hint. I can only find technical reference details in the manual. It's hard to feel any excitement reading the differences between 10 ship types. "Dark Space for dummies" is what I am looking for at this stage. Please don't ask me to click and understand all the small icons on the screen before I can have an idea on what's fun about DS.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-01-08 04:48   
when you have launched a ship ingame, you can press F1 for basic description of the many parts of current screen mode. default screen mode is 'tactical'
F2 (navigation) and F3 (planets, unnecessary for new people) toggle screen modes.

darkspace guide for dummies, v1.0 -> http://www.jack-online.co.uk/darkspace/wiki/index.php/Starter_guide

the best way to know the game is to talk to other people. (down with the electronic machines, living organisms forever!)

and welcome to the game

gcw2011
Captain

Posted: 2012-01-08 06:55   
The starter guide should be the first page to be presented to new players. Very few people like to be treated as machine and digest technical manual. I was very close to drift my attention away from DS, thanks for your direction I will give DS another try.

woodburner
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 07:45   
One Little tip for new players

Stay out of the MV and play in scenarios unless you want to be Dread Foder

Once you have grasped the game and moved up a few ranks thens the time to come to the MV

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-08 08:31   
Quote:

On 2012-01-08 07:45, woodburner wrote:
One Little tip for new players

Stay out of the MV and play in scenarios unless you want to be Dread Foder

Once you have grasped the game and moved up a few ranks thens the time to come to the MV

Kinda true, I stayed in scen until I became a Captain, however let me say that if you're flying a scout and do it right, you will almost never become dread fodder. A destroyer maybe. But frigates/scouts no.

Also, the wiki link on the left has no link to the starter's guide(at least on the front page)!

[ This Message was edited by: nonexistent on 2012-01-08 08:34 ]

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 11:55   
I am curious if the devs can make a small, maybe 2-3 system server just for noobs, labeled "Tutorial" that automatically starts you on a training course to learn how to play Darkspace. Considering the number of new players that we are receiving, I believe it would be worth the loss of time that you could be doing other things. Darkspace is extremely noobie unfriendly.

apate
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-08 13:09   
Quote:

On 2012-01-08 11:55, Incinarator |SoT| wrote:
I am curious if the devs can make a small, maybe 2-3 system server just for noobs, labeled "Tutorial" that automatically starts you on a training course to learn how to play Darkspace. Considering the number of new players that we are receiving, I believe it would be worth the loss of time that you could be doing other things. Darkspace is extremely noobie unfriendly.

I agree that this would be a great idea.

If an entire server cannot be spared, perhaps turn the newbie cluster into a tut cluster instead? A tutorial for this complex a game really is needed, and no one except dataphiles will want to read the manual.

Email apate
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-01-08 13:16   
Quote:

On 2012-01-08 13:09, Athenian General wrote:
Quote:

If an entire server cannot be spared, perhaps turn the newbie cluster into a tut cluster instead? A tutorial for this complex a game really is needed, and no one except dataphiles will want to read the manual.

I always thought that the manual was interesting.........

Anyway, how about linking the starter's guide to the DS homepage?

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-08 16:48   
i love you compromisery:)

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 16:59   
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 13:16, nonexistent wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 13:09, Athenian General wrote:
Quote:

I always thought that the manual was interesting...

I still remember the first day I played this game, I upset cause it didn't give me a hint - even pressing F1 didn't help - and I nearly quit. Then I read the Manual but until now, I still believe it's too long and fuzzy for a user. Right before I un-installed DS, I had met Challanger in Ursa Minor when he came to teach skills. I guest DS should have had more players if we would have a step-by-step Tutorial.

Making Tutorial is clearly the best method to introduce the game. However, it seems like Tutorial is definitely a Mission. Mission had been planned long time ago but then it was dropped. I wonder how long will it take for us to have mission on discussion again.

I trust Missions will make DS level up to a grand generation.

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2012-01-08 19:25   
The Tactics and New Players forum here has some quick hints to things. I also have some basic videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ChallengerDS#p/u I know I need to add more but it will get you started.

Email Challenger
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2012-01-08 21:21   
theres a lot of stuff out there for newbies, but it isnt well bundled or presented on first login. thatd be an easy fix, putting something on the homepage?

we could really use with a tutorial though. there used to be that scripted tutorial you ran on your own computer, but it wasnt very good, and then i hear it exploded.

[ This Message was edited by: Lark of Serenity on 2012-01-08 21:22 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-01-08 21:43   
i suggested something like this some time ago

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=51471&forum=1&12

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.029391 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR