No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » fighters
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author fighters
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-23 14:30   
Quote:

On 2012-03-23 12:16, BackSlash (R33) wrote:
They're due for an upgrade.

can't wait to see what you guys come up with. The dev team has been really cranking out new content/fixes lately.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 19:45   
Quote:

On 2012-03-23 04:23, Talar wrote:
I personally think that quiet a few classes of ships are underpowered.

When i think of a carrier it inspires fear.
A super-carrier (Btw it should be renamed to mothership) Should do much more then that.

I think that the carriers should have some sort of bonus or extremly damage to larger ships. something that is size specific.

In other words, carriers should be able to rape a dread, but have a very hard time with smaller ships (like frigs etc) and should have to rely on their lazers etc (not fighters) for those.

Carriers should also get some more defense, in this game alone when i see a carrier i think "BEEF ITS WHATS FOR DINNA"

The previous comment is great!

Giving fighters torps would give carriers that Umph they need.

torps are pretty easy to dodge, for smaller ships anyways, and do that high damage needed to make carriers feared.

Maybe you can make the fighter torps very slow. and give the fighters a smaller range, but a slightly higher HP.

That way they are in combat log, Pd takes atleast 4-5 hits tell they die.

This way fighters play more a "bomber" role on dreads, stations then a sort of "anti-missile" support role.

[ This Message was edited by: Talar on 2012-03-23 04:23 ]

Carriers are just that. Transport for fighters.
They're not and were never meant to be front line capships.

Look at modern day US Navy supercarriers. They don't sail into battle directly or alone. A carrier requires a fleet of support vessels to protect it. The real power of a carrier lies in its fighters.

IMHO,
- DS fighters needs more punch and function.
- And the carriers need to carry either more fighter wings/groups, or each fighter group needs to be comprised of more fighters.

In punch, I mean the fighters' weapons. It could mean more variants of fighters, but personally I would keep the current fighter lineup but give each of them 2 types of weaps and make the weaps more powerful.

Eg, weaps
Bombers - bombs and beams (PD/anti fighter)
Fighters - cannons and torps
Interceptors - beams and cannons

Functions; besides attacking a target, fighters could perhaps
- Have a CAP mode
- Be able to be reattack another target after the primary contact is lost
- Reassignable target
- Automatically defend themselves from other fighters/ships if they approach their flightpath

What the carrier ship needs is perhaps a new control screen. Call it the CIC screen, where the pilot can actually control his fighter groups as in a RTS styled mapscreen.

I dunno if this can be easily coded or not, of course. Just a suggestion.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-25 22:27   
I always thought that the current AI order system could be extended to fighters and it'd work perfectly. Launch fighter wing, select it, right click on target and it attacks or defends the target based off the already existing ai code.

Would work out well, in my opinion. Problem is getting it all to work, of course.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 22:48   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 22:27, Fattierob wrote:
I always thought that the current AI order system could be extended to fighters and it'd work perfectly. Launch fighter wing, select it, right click on target and it attacks or defends the target based off the already existing ai code.

Would work out well, in my opinion. Problem is getting it all to work, of course.

Sounds good.

But would that mean that anyone on your faction can control your fighters? Or only the mothership itself can do that?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-25 23:10   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 22:48, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

But would that mean that anyone on your faction can control your fighters? Or only the mothership itself can do that?

Only you could, like AI you get from ally enhancements.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 23:39   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 23:10, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

Only you could, like AI you get from ally enhancements.

Cool idea. I like it.

If you had a separate CIC screen, it would be even cooler. But I guess that would just be fluff, since you can control them from F2.

Seriously, if carriers are gonna be more effective, fighter groups will have to be bigger, or they are gonna have to carry more fighter groups. Plus, you need to strengthen their weaps too.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-25 23:57   
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 22:27, Fattierob wrote:

Sounds good.

Agree.

But does it mean you have 24 allied ships for free?

The only problem with fighter is they don't stop the rain of cannons even when the mothership gone away. It's very annoying but most players don't call their fighters back when they're no longer needed. I really hope there is a limit of range between the mothership and fighter so that you won't get easy prestige or stupid FF in thus case.

Since fighters keep longer distance to the target, the number of fighters stay almost constant and shall reach 24 in the best case. It's like 24 ships are flying in screen. I have no problem with missles but when more than one command class station appear in game, well, heavy graphics task indeed. I hope fighters shall be closer (350gu) to target so that you can PD them with Heavy beams. I think PD fighter with Heavy beam is a fair trade.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 00:14   
Whenever fighters get overhauled, they're probably be shoved into fighter wings so instead of six individual fighters you'd have 1 group of six fighters.

Then again, it's all in up in the air (except that something needs to be done eventually) and it's a major thing that needs to be changed so it'll probably be a while before they're touched.

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 00:22   
I love the talk of revamped fighters.

And, afaik, beam fighters for all factions have no falloff, right?

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-26 01:24   
That would be a really sweet system frob.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-26 05:35   
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 00:14, Fattierob wrote:
Whenever fighters get overhauled, they're probably be shoved into fighter wings so instead of six individual fighters you'd have 1 group of six fighters.

Love you.
But that will change the ship layout... Quite tons of works.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-03-26 17:01   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 00:22, Kaepora wrote:
I love the talk of revamped fighters.

And, afaik, beam fighters for all factions have no falloff, right?

Correct.

Email Jim Starluck
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-26 21:54   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 00:14, Fattierob wrote:

Then again, it's all in up in the air (except that something needs to be done eventually) and it's a major thing that needs to be changed so it'll probably be a while before they're touched.

Consider increasing the size of the fighter wing (and their cumalative firepower), and increasing the number of fighter wings per carrier. A seagoing supercarrier carries 100 fighters. I'd imagine a 1200 to 1500m, long starship should be able to house more than 500 fighters?

Since each fighter wing will be treated as a singular entity, the CPU usage should go down. The size of the fighter wing should have no impact. So this should allow for more fighter wings.

How about fighter wings comprising of 12 fighters? So an Agincourt can be refitted to carry up to 10 fighter wings/bays with 5 reloads. That should make it 12 x 10 x 5 for a total of 600 fighters.

With up to 3 wings per bay launched at any time (as per current fighter/mine limits), an Aggie can have up to 30 wings operational at any moment. A total of 360 fighters out in space.

Carriers will then be a viable force again.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-03-26 21:57 ]

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 22:59   
How would PD work against fighter wings?

And pulse waves?

Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-03-27 01:04   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 22:59, Kaepora wrote:
How would PD work against fighter wings?

And pulse waves?

This idea has been discussed before, i think the best way i've heard of is each wing would have "HP" that would relate to how many fighters are in the wing, as pd takes down "HP" it would reduce the number of fighters in a wing. A pulse wave would just kill alot at once.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022023 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR