No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +9.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » [1.672] Pre-release shakedown
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author [1.672] Pre-release shakedown
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-26 21:45   
Quote:

On 2012-02-26 19:28, Pantheon wrote:
Will look into making this better somehow. We did have a timer in the top right, but Faustus removed it because it looked tacky. If anyone has a suggestion...

Something like this?

But only on the screen border, and it's gotta be bright red and noticeable. Currently, I think the screen border does pulse red (I think, because I really don't notice it) when you're attacked.

Or maybe what Bumshot said...

Green border when OOC, Red flashing border when in-combat.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-02-26 22:01   
I hate that glowing border (personal opinion). There's a more elegant way to do this.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-02-26 22:52   
Quote:

On 2012-02-26 21:45, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Currently, I think the screen border does pulse red (I think, because I really don't notice it) when you're attacked.

Indeed it does. Forget if it activates on proximity or when under fire... Either way its handy in a small ship (provided you don't get blasted before you get out)

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-02-26 22:52   
I propose that the enemy does not know the state of your ship. (in combat/out of combat)

1st step. Change the name. In combat and out of combat describe the state of the ship... but we need to give those states names.

2cnd step. make a small gfx to go on the hud in a noticable, but out of the way location... (maby one of the corners.. i uno.

3rd step. Make SFX for entering combat, and out of combat state.

You guys like?

No defiance is not demanding this.
No this is not set in stone, nor am i going to rage if its not done.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-27 01:30   
Quote:

On 2012-02-26 22:01, Pantheon wrote:
I hate that glowing border (personal opinion). There's a more elegant way to do this.

So... Timer. Rejected.
Glowing border. Rejected.

What else can be done?

How about a RED ALERT icon that flashes in one corner of the screen when in combat?

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-02-27 01:53   
one other thing that can be done is to put bright 50-100 gu long neon lights on the ship, pointed at many angles to the outside.

when not in combat, they are off.
when in combat, they are on and emit a cone of white light (which randomly turn towards enemy hostiles or incoming projectiles).

obviously cosmetic effect, visible to players only when under 300 gu distance.

and these lights can be used in other situations also, ex- when sending or loading transport pods, when using scanner, when loading enhancements, when flying near the dark side of a planet (that would be awefulsome), when in nebula (lack of them nowadays), when flying near asteroids (mister spock get me a sample of those meatballs)

[ This Message was edited by: Compromisery on 2012-02-27 02:26 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-27 03:04   
Quote:

On 2012-02-27 01:53, Compromisery wrote:
one other thing that can be done is to put bright 50-100 gu long neon lights on the ship, pointed at many angles to the outside.

when not in combat, they are off.
when in combat, they are on and emit a cone of white light (which randomly turn towards enemy hostiles or incoming projectiles).

obviously cosmetic effect, visible to players only when under 300 gu distance.

and these lights can be used in other situations also, ex- when sending or loading transport pods, when using scanner, when loading enhancements, when flying near the dark side of a planet (that would be awefulsome), when in nebula (lack of them nowadays), when flying near asteroids (mister spock get me a sample of those meatballs)

[ This Message was edited by: Compromisery on 2012-02-27 02:26 ]

Way to pimp your ride..... bro,

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-02-27 03:35   
I survived a Siphon in beam range with a BC . I even survived long enough to just fly out of beam range, AFTER flying over the siphon. I only took 1% hull from that weird leak. I was shunting power from reactives to actives.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-02-27 03:49   
one other thing what can be done, is that you press f2 twice to exit whatever menu you where in, and you are back to normal view. look around 360 degree, determine if its safe or not, and go back to ur usual screen...

rlly, flashing red borders, alerts...if u look in normal view u also see if u get shot. them flying bullets are a hint...

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-02-27 04:23   

I noticed signature fluctuations when using ECM in cloak. Sometimes it leads to being detected while cloaked. The AI starts shooting at me.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-27 05:40   
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-26 00:17, chlorophyll wrote:
Thin white ring is really hard to see. Sometimes I believe I see the white ring but I can't log into SY.

Will look into making this better somehow. We did have a timer in the top right, but Faustus removed it because it looked tacky. If anyone has a suggestion...

The problem rises because of 2 timers.

When a ship jumps out of combat to the shipyard. A dialog line says: "You have to wait X seconds (counting down)..." where X is the SY-ship-type (SST) timer. Obviously it's incorrect and hence the player is confused. The actual time is N + X, with N is the time left to be out-of-combat.

My suggestion is about removing the X and only keeping N. Both of them postpone the ability to use SY, but N serves a wider cases. So why should we keep X?

With X removed, when a ship which is still in combat uses the SY, the dialog says:
"You must be out of combat to use the shipyard.
Out of combat in N seconds (counting down)"
When ship is already out of combat (N=0), no dialoag appears, ship logs immediately. This may help OOC timer more popular to who don't know about it.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-02-27 06:25 ]

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-27 05:59   
focused and narrowband ecm cannot be aimed at a manual point.

when i aim 3x focused eccm on an ai ship, 1 sec later (literally, the ai stinger travelled 40 gu) it was cloaked. after it cloaked the eccm deactivated. the ship stayed within 200 gu range during this process. not very usefull against cloaking. only usefull against ecm on an uncloaked ship. same story for narrowband eccm.

1 normal eccm ping doesnt make cloaked ships within 250 gu show up. parasite or stinger.

i tested the eccm types in the ugto command dread.

also, the orbit command didnt work on the planet ida untill i manually got withing 250 gu range. the ship slowed down to 0 gu/sec (command dread) but didnt went into orbit.

then beta crashed cause i alt tab to much:)

came back, tried a covert ops scout with 4x eccm. there was no difference in ai cloaking with or without running eccm, they just uncloak when reaching almost 100% armor. maybe covert ops scout not the best one to test with...

the kluth ai worker didint cloak even if its about to die. think it has something to do with the fact i didnt dmg it armor, i just shot the rear.

so the new eccm works as they describe. against cloaking ships need to continiously run eccm to force someone nearby out of cloak. the longwave eccm seems very usefull to defend against cloaking, where the normal eccm is more on the offensive, to get a luth while he's out of energy.

the focused and narrowband eccm however, seems uneffective unless they can be used on a manual point. i'd say make the focused one useable on a manual target in space.

on a side note: beacons seemed to affect enemy ai cloaking behavior a whole lot, more then any amount of eccm i used.
[ This Message was edited by: The Flying Dutchmen {I hate Schotsmen} on 2012-02-27 06:26 ]

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-27 09:26   
I was running a full makkar BC and using actives on the outside and reactives on the inside. I was taking full nest alphas at point blank range and i was easily able to absorb it and carry on flying around in circles. I pulled my Tank AD and did a test vs a laser ehs siphon. I easily out tanked its DPS and ended up with only no shields and only 25% armor off the first frontal armor plate. the siphon was hulled in almost all arcs and was forced to flee. These were just two tests that I did and I'll try to run more when I find time. Please devs make sure that you are 100% satisfied with the release. It was very frustrating after the last update and hotfix because those issues that caused us to be nerfed should have been picked up in beta and addressed before release. I would rather not see such an extreme hotfix again.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-27 10:10   
Disabling the red border except when building/in nav screen would be a great thing.

Personally, I think an elegant way to denote out of combat is to make it appear at the top of the screen in simple terms. Like "Battle stations" if you're in combat (no, this doesn't mean you're facing Battle Stations) and "Cruise mode" if you're just, well, cruising.

Maybe make it a state you can change, à la point defence mode and shields on/off? Putting your crew on battle stations/active alert takes 3 seconds or so and you cannot put them on regular duty until x time passes/no more enemies are detected within x range, and shifting back to non-combat takes some time as well.

This would additionally add a surprise bonus attack for people who're recovering and get hit: admittedly you don't want to get hit while recovering, but making it so you can't willy-nilly change makes it something tactical as well, and refusing to go on rest while enemies are detected nearby avoids its application as an in-combat mechanic.

EDIT: Naturally, when the crew is on regular duty, you don't get to activate your weapon systems/PD. Not sure how much it'd affect the gameplay, to be sure, but it seems like a neat thing. Alternate things are weapon systems don't reload and PD doesn't function while on regular duty (since no one's manning the lasers or cannons), or other penalties to make it distinctly uncomfortable to not have your crew on battle stations.

Right now, crew's at full alert at all times.
[ This Message was edited by: Gesellschaft on 2012-02-27 10:12 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-02-27 23:41   
Quote:
Quote:
While being built, platform receives resource but doesn't add it to its own resource when complete.

The others are most likely caused by latency issues with beta being on a much, much slower server than release.

I had already discovered the issue in release before I checked again in beta. In release, I pressed R while building, then sent resource to platform. The platform received but not counted the resource into its own when completed. In beta, it occured again. It's a bug, not latency.
Quote:
Quote:
I bombed a planet with SY without capturing & deactivating any structures. 6 hours later I came back, that planet hasn't fully recover.

The others are most likely caused by latency issues with beta being on a much, much slower server than release.

Latency throughout 6 hours? The planet recovered automatically and controlled by the server, it is not latency. The problem came from the new feature. Allow me to paraphrase again.
Quote:
Quote:
Structures doesn't pause even when the technology falls below their requirement.

Intended - check the dev log for more details.

When a planet is bombed, several structures deactivate, including the tech lab. It is much better that the high tech structure like hydrid II or mantle, dico disabled to save worker/power to essential structure like bio, variance. Sadly, they don't stop and the critical resource are sharing equally. Fattierob said he tried to put a certaintly urgent order of distributing resource to essential structures. Last time I checked, it was like 1/2 of everything (excluding dome) functioning and 1/2 disabled.

I know the feature purpose is to prohibit planet sabotage. But it impacts heavily on caring the planet. Example:
- You accidentally upgrade something that draws more than available resource, a random structure may deactivate and unlucky if it's a bio or variance or tech lab. A chain of deactivating occur unless you scrap infantry or the being-built structure. Great punishment for mistake.
- You bomb & capture a planet. You need the planet focusing on recovering worker/tech but you can not manually select which pause and which function.
- Plague. Helpless.

In a transient thought, this feature is nearly an extreme solution, which abandon the responsibilty of majority to report and of staff to keep track of status.

To prevent sabotage, getting rid of switching faction in 2 minutes is the key. The server should remember the faction of an ID until it resets. This way, a player may have numberous characters with dynamic IP to sabotage. But the vandals are minority.

Btw, a little feedback on web interface. We have duplicated sections: Support & Submit Ticket. The support has the introduction but lacking form to submit. Submit Ticket has form but doesn't have the introduction. Merging them would be nice, with the new ticket right under the support introduction.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-02-28 03:18 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022488 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR