No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » here's your game balance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
 Author here's your game balance
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-27 08:36   
The OTHER reason for briefly disabling everything during/after a jump (although why people are including shields I'm not sure) is for synchronisation purposes.

It's surprisingly easy to have your first salvo do zero damage when you land on a target because the server lags slightly behind your client (network latency isn't something you can get rid of). While this isn't usually a huge problem it's exacerbated when you think you're right next to the target and trying to fire while the server thinks you're still in jump and several thousand GU away. Thus, the server thinks you're out of range and doesn't count your weapons as firing. You might THINK you're firing, but you're not since the game server is the final arbiter of events.

Similarly, this can cause strange things with cloaking. You hit cloak and you think you've cloaked, but the server thinks you're still jumping and ignores your pressing of the V key. You are now cloaked when you think you're uncloaked and uncloaked when you think you're cloaked which causes things like phantom ship models and visible diamonds marking invisible ships.

Hence, after a fashion this isn't exactly a nerf and more making what you think is happening and what is actually happening more consistent.

[EDIT] Darn it, Ninja'd by Pantheon.

[ This Message was edited by: Gejaheline on 2012-03-27 08:37 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-27 08:51   
I concur w Panth and Def.

We don't need knee jerk responses to non-issues. It may cause greater problems later. While we can understand the need for this game to at least give noobs a chance, going around "fixing" what ain't broken is prob the best way to break the game.

I'm good w the idea of increasing PJ difficulty. This should go some way into reducing the instances of PJ-alpha kills. In addition to that, the crew level idea I suggested can act as an incentive for ppl to not lose their ships unnecessarily as one of the crew bonuses is improved PJ accuracy.

And yeah. +1 to the post-jump weap n cloak delay. I've been cloak desync'ed before. It really sucks.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-03-27 08:56 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-03-27 09:27   
i too agree, +1-2 seconds of no fire after a jump (if you fire right after a jump it does no damage anyway) and decreasing PJ accuracy by a variable of even 200-300 would not adversly affect (too much) defensive PJ abilities, while limiting the offensive PJ.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-27 09:40   
instead of deactivating everything when coming out of a jump, would it be possible to basically just freeze the controls so shields, EWAR, and anything else that the ship has running is on, but you can't disable or enable anything for that 1-2 seconds? just and idea.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-27 10:10   
i like the random variable for a jump. in case of a jump going 20 speed, the variable is + or - 100 gu? sounds fair to me jumping at 20 speed u get over the distance gap within 5 sec. plenty of time for small ships to get out of range but not a great deal againts big ships.

i dont like the timer of 5 sec to shut all things off after a jump, this will make small ships immortal.

i do agree some stuff can use more skill factor, but i have no clue how/what. maybe make the jump variable dependant on the place ur jumping at. an enemy infested place gets a bigger jump distortion because of all the magnetic fields n such?

this would also allow for more specifity in electronic war. A jumpdrive aiming assistant (land where u aimed at), a jumpfield stabilizer (no 1 sec system shutdown after jump), you name it
[ This Message was edited by: The Maniac on 2012-03-27 10:12 ]

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-03-27 12:23   
I like the 1-2 second disable after jump to fix desynch, I can't count the number of times I jump a transport next to a planet and unload troops only to see the pods appear 1k GU behind me and get PDed by an AI. 1-2 seconds should also be plenty to get out of the way of someone trying to PJ kill you unless you're in an Interdictor field, in which case you should be expecting to die if you're in a Scout or Frigate.

Also like the PJ inaccuracy based on speed, but maybe you could also consider adding another modifier for the distance of the jump with longer jumps being more accurate than shorter jumps? I'm hoping it's only forward/backward inaccuracy though and not to the side, otherwise that could easily result in planet collisions.

Airwolf^
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-27 12:28   
After returning from a long time away from Darkspace and eager to read up and test the new features I find the game very different. Both still has it pro's and cons. But overall improved. Combat is more common and more players, more AI.

Bombing isnt as fun... or as prestige worthy as it used to be, neither is construction (spent a few hours in scenario). Supplying i found to be alot more difficult than it used to be, Prestige didnt really match for how much i repped, and somehow supply ships die extremely quickly now so most of the prestige i do get is lost. Unless i sit out of combat entirely and jump onto damaged ships that have survived, but usually by that time they have made their way to platforms or a station.

So it really left me with combat to try out which is obviously my favourite and im usually quite good at it. It's a lot of fun... slightly more tactical and people are more braver, i also was receiving a lot more kills than usual. But even though during this particular battle i obtained about 10 kills and a lot more ships damaged, my 4 deaths completely erased all that hard earned prestige and then some, same in pretty much every faction i went.
So basicly anyone that can afford to loose prestige and not aim for promotion can be free and happy to do as much combat as possible.
But for me... (struggling to get to Admiral) combat was fun... but left me overall 1000 prestige out of pocket.

I really enjoy some of the changes... and not so much the others, but it looks like obtaining prestige is now ridiculously hard, especially if you happened to get blown up.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-03-27 14:21   
Quote:

On 2012-03-27 12:28, Airwolf^ wrote:
After returning from a long time away from Darkspace and eager to read up and test the new features I find the game very different. Both still has it pro's and cons. But overall improved. Combat is more common and more players, more AI.

Bombing isnt as fun... or as prestige worthy as it used to be, neither is construction (spent a few hours in scenario). Supplying i found to be alot more difficult than it used to be, Prestige didnt really match for how much i repped, and somehow supply ships die extremely quickly now so most of the prestige i do get is lost. Unless i sit out of combat entirely and jump onto damaged ships that have survived, but usually by that time they have made their way to platforms or a station.

So it really left me with combat to try out which is obviously my favourite and im usually quite good at it. It's a lot of fun... slightly more tactical and people are more braver, i also was receiving a lot more kills than usual. But even though during this particular battle i obtained about 10 kills and a lot more ships damaged, my 4 deaths completely erased all that hard earned prestige and then some, same in pretty much every faction i went.
So basicly anyone that can afford to loose prestige and not aim for promotion can be free and happy to do as much combat as possible.
But for me... (struggling to get to Admiral) combat was fun... but left me overall 1000 prestige out of pocket.

I really enjoy some of the changes... and not so much the others, but it looks like obtaining prestige is now ridiculously hard, especially if you happened to get blown up.

Combat is easy if you don't die, which is pretty easy if you're careful.
I got most of my pres for admiral from combat(I hate supplying, I love building but it gives little xp, and bombing is meh).

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

Airwolf^
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-27 14:31   
yeah admiral... prestige is dime a dozen in combat. but VA its a lot more difficult :/

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Page created in 0.014703 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR