No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » here's your game balance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author here's your game balance
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 06:49   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 05:48, Fluttershy wrote:
It just feels like everything is too far apart on the scale.

What small ships lack in armor and hull, they supposedly make up for in speed, maneuverability, and jump drive recharge.
But there's a problem.
Point jumps, Dictors, and Beams all counteract those benefits.

Beams are incredibly OP, they nuke small ships in half an alpha.
Even a cruiser can't sustain an alpha from a siphon and get out without hull damage, even if they spread it out over 2 arcs of armor. ONE ALPHA!
2nd alpha will undoubtedly kill them.

You do realize that the increased beam damage affects everyone, not just the small ships. In the past versions, dreads could pound each other for a couple of minutes before one of them bit the dust.

These days, we're looking at 30 secs or less. So the beams do affect the big ships too.

Here's a protip:
If your small/medium ship managed to survive the first Alpha...
CONGRATULATIONS!! Pat yourself on the back. But make it quick.

Because the next thing you wanna do is hit SHIFT-J!!

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 05:48, Fluttershy wrote:

I'm getting tired of having our supports blown up left and right by cowardly little hit and run attacks. Seriously, make supply ships able to tank some hits, increase their size, and slap some armor on those things, they're worth 100 prestige if you die in one, so having them lead a binary existence like they are is complete BS.

Killing support ships is a viable tactic. Lemme give you a scenario.

You're up against an Uggie EAD with +48% def enhancements, and he's having a Heavy suppie ship following him around. What are you going to do?

A) Take him head on or from the side?

B) Or take him from the rear, but put that supp ship between you and him first and nuke the little runt before continuing on the EAD's rear end?

That suppie is a force multiplier. If he's around, the EAD is gonna tank whatever you dish out and get repped faster than you can say "WTF! What the fahoormajalmahamadahaldaliya?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOzQRTo6lc

Next.

Yes, you can bring up the idea of having more durable suppies. But a heavier suppy also means more mass, and less speed/manuverability.

Let's take a Dreadnought sized suppie.

It has bugger all for weaps... It moves at 15 gu/s, turns like a sloth. And its armor is only as good as either an Agincourt or a Command Dread. Plus... the JD recharges SOoooooo slowly.

Do you want to fly a suppie like that.... knowing that you're now a fatter target (more pres for killing you), and can't run or evade an EAD or Siphon on your tail?

Think about that for a moment. Then get back to me.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-25 08:13   
Kenny: Having thought about that one, I'd go for the dead-sized supply ship because fighting to survive in a slow ship is better than already being dead in a small supply ship thanks to the first volley.

As for the topic of being outnumbered, I actually agree with Brutality; smaller ships are fantastic at surviving massive dreadswarms when flown correctly.

Last night someone was complaining something along the lines of "Wow, an assault dread against a dessie has about as much effect as scouts fighting an EAD."
This is missing the point. Dreadnaughts and their massive amounts of firepower are useless if you can't hit the target and a small, jinky destroyer at a distance is rarely going to be hit. UGTO destroyers have the added advantage that they can fit reflective armour to resist the occasional beam and ion cannon hit, leaving gauss cannons as their primary vulnerability.

If you're being steamrolled by superior numbers what you should NOT do is try to slug it out in dreads. Take some smaller ships, single out one enemy ship, and pick away at it until it dies or runs away and then move onto the next one. If they're capturing your planets they're going to be slowed down significantly if their ships keep having to withdraw.

And I've complained about the fact that beams and point-jumping are super-powerful, but at the same time... You're in a destroyer or a cruiser. It's possible to survive a couple of hits (I've been alpha'd once or twice and lived, even with -16% defences) and even if you die or get heavily damaged it's not particularly devastating and you can get back into the fight in moments.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-03-25 09:45   
I believe, as does Fattierob, that beam damage was based on an incorrect metric. We'll be looking at those after the defence changes.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 10:14   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 08:13, Gejaheline wrote:
Kenny: Having thought about that one, I'd go for the dead-sized supply ship because fighting to survive in a slow ship is better than already being dead in a small supply ship thanks to the first volley.

Personally, I'd still rather have the existing suppies.

1) If you die in them, you still won't lose as much pres as you would in a dread-class vessel

2) I can run faster than a dread. Jump sooner than a dread. If a dread PJs me, or decloaks next to me, I shift-J and get out of the combat zone. I'm not talking short jump. I mean... run.... like hell. Then come back later after my JD recharges (which is still much sooner than a dread)

BTW.... UGTO Heavy Supps can survive a full alpha by a Siphon.

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 08:13, Gejaheline wrote:

As for the topic of being outnumbered, I actually agree with Brutality; smaller ships are fantastic at surviving massive dreadswarms when flown correctly.

Last night someone was complaining something along the lines of "Wow, an assault dread against a dessie has about as much effect as scouts fighting an EAD."
This is missing the point. Dreadnaughts and their massive amounts of firepower are useless if you can't hit the target and a small, jinky destroyer at a distance is rarely going to be hit. UGTO destroyers have the added advantage that they can fit reflective armour to resist the occasional beam and ion cannon hit, leaving gauss cannons as their primary vulnerability.

If you're being steamrolled by superior numbers what you should NOT do is try to slug it out in dreads. Take some smaller ships, single out one enemy ship, and pick away at it until it dies or runs away and then move onto the next one. If they're capturing your planets they're going to be slowed down significantly if their ships keep having to withdraw.

And I've complained about the fact that beams and point-jumping are super-powerful, but at the same time... You're in a destroyer or a cruiser. It's possible to survive a couple of hits (I've been alpha'd once or twice and lived, even with -16% defences) and even if you die or get heavily damaged it's not particularly devastating and you can get back into the fight in moments.

Exactly. Nimbler ships is always best in those situations. However the TS, I believe, is talking about winning a fight against dreads with his cruisers... or even dessies, given equal numbers. Honestly, I think that's a pipe dream. It just ain't meant to be.

Unless you want to bring back CL2K Claws.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-25 21:47   
the original topic was just me throwing a fit because some players get to fly tactically significant ships, while other players are just little pain in the butts.

and no, your 8 blue enhanced cruisers don't count, because newbies are more than likely to be in a stock ship with the possibility of a few minor enhancements.

And then, as was stated, is that supports, such as engineers and supply ships, are incredibly vulnerable.
And why? Why should non combat ships be sitting ducks?
Supply ships take the resources of a destroyer, but have the durability of a frigate.

I would very much be in favor of a supply ship that's tough enough to withstand an attack and call for support. Right now they're just a complete joke.
Look at them, they got one shotted by a kluth dessie.
The guy who was flying supply for us got pissed off and hopped in a cruiser instead.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-03-25 21:49 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-25 23:35   
Quote:

On 2012-03-25 21:47, Fluttershy wrote:
the original topic was just me throwing a fit because some players get to fly tactically significant ships, while other players are just little pain in the butts.

and no, your 8 blue enhanced cruisers don't count, because newbies are more than likely to be in a stock ship with the possibility of a few minor enhancements.

Define tactically significant.

In a battle vs Kluth:
- A beacon scout IS a tactically significant ship

In all battles:
- An interdictor IS a tactically significant ship
- Support ships tailing and repping dreads/stations (riding atop the dreads using G-shadow) are tactically significant

What you're going on about is the lack of firepower. If that is the case, then I'm here to tell you that you probably can't do anything about it.

Your solution is to rank up and get the larger ships... or at least, more ship options. Until they relook the defenses and beam power, you'd best stay clear of enemy dreads. The game is like that. Firepower scales with ship size. Surely you do not expect your frigate to pack almost the same firepower as a dread right?

Likewise for the enhancements. They cost credits. Credits are purchased with cash. The cash paid for the credits go towards the maintenance of the game/server.

If the enh didn't mean anything, or did not bestow any benefits over noobs who didn't purchase any, then there'd be no point in buying it. And the game will not receive funding to go on.

That said, I proposed a limit in enhancement stacking so that you do not get +48% behemoths. A 4-stack limit should see max +24% in one area.

Quote:

On 2012-03-25 21:47, Fluttershy wrote:

And then, as was stated, is that supports, such as engineers and supply ships, are incredibly vulnerable.
And why? Why should non combat ships be sitting ducks?
Supply ships take the resources of a destroyer, but have the durability of a frigate.

I would very much be in favor of a supply ship that's tough enough to withstand an attack and call for support. Right now they're just a complete joke.
Look at them, they got one shotted by a kluth dessie.
The guy who was flying supply for us got pissed off and hopped in a cruiser instead.

Ah... look at my scenario painted for Geja.

Even if the devs made a heavier suppie ship, it will still be a primary target. A dread suppie might die even faster than a normal suppie as he's gonna be the primary target for 3 to 4 dreads shooting at him.

Everybody loves to kill a defenseless target. That part, you cannot control. It's human/player nature.

And NO. You cannot have the standard suppie now with more durability or armor without speed/performance penalties. If they're gonna be more durable, they're gonna be bigger and slower.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 06:59   
Well, I'm really loving those ships with the FPS equivalent of teliporting onto someones ass and firing 20 shotguns at once at point blank.

Does that make sense to you? That's what it is.

You don't have to aim, you just slow to 0, press J, and mash the **** space bar.

It's 2 clicks short of a INSTANT WIN BUTTON
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-03-26 07:04 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-03-26 07:32   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 06:59, Fluttershy wrote:
You don't have to aim, you just slow to 0, press J, and mash the space bar.

ill give it to you on that one...

suggestion :- devices cannot be activated or deactivated while in jump
suggestion :- devices cannot be activated 5 seconds after jump aborts/completes.

+1 to nerfing pointjump
+1 to nerfing immediate cloaking after jump
+1 to fluttershy for grasping the main issue at hand
[ This Message was edited by: Toby D Syded on 2012-03-26 07:33 ]

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-26 09:14   
Its not like every single dread in the game can one shot stuff dude. The assault ships are the only ones capable of doing this. now because of the weapon nerf and focus on slow moving torps and ion cannons rather than a ton of beams,it takes more than one salvo to kill stuff as a smaller ship can move to dodge the torps. The same cannot be said for the siphon which has lots of dps but energy issues to keep it in check. The Ead is the king of the battlefield point blank because of it has the highest DPS alpha of any dread in the game which is fine because it maneuvers very slowly. The missile ships, while powerful like an SS, have a hard time hitting moving targets. The only time I'm able to one shot a supply is if its sitting stationary and makes no attempt to move. As soon as the target starts to move, anything under a dread is hard to hit. Hope some of this makes sense. As to latency, depending on my isp's load I get around 100-300 ping. While its hard to jump out in a scout if you aren't on your toes, anything destroyer hullsized or larger I can always can escape. Whats your average latency?
[ This Message was edited by: Brutality *XO2* on 2012-03-26 18:41 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 15:01   
Nerfing point-jump to disallow firing weapons or activating any devices for 5 seconds sounds like a good proposition.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-26 15:43   
pj range is alrdy randomized by 50gu...just a stat is a big target

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 17:05   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 15:43, Furiosity wrote:
pj range is alrdy randomized by 50gu...just a stat is a big target

Incorrect. The calculation is as follows:

Assume two ships of the same size, both are 10 gu in radius. The ships are 1000 gu apart (that is, the center of the ships are 1000 gu apart). Ship 1 is traveling at 7 gu/s, ship 2 is stationary
The calculation is as follows:

Jump Distance = Distance - ((ship1's radius + ship2's radius) * 2) - (Ship1's current speed * 30)

= 1000 - ((10 + 10) * 2) - (7 * 30)
= 1000 - (40) - (210)
= 750

Player 1's ship will exit 750gu from the target.

Their is no random modifier as of right now to these calculations.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-26 21:45   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 09:14, Brutality *XO2* wrote:

Its not like every single dread in the game can one shot stuff dude. The assault ships are the only ones capable of doing this. now because of the weapon nerf and focus on slow moving torps and ion cannons rather than a ton of beams,it takes more than one salvo to kill stuff as a smaller ship can move to dodge the torps. The same cannot be said for the siphon which has lots of dps but energy issues to keep it in check. The Ead is the king of the battlefield point blank because of it has the highest DPS alpha of any dread in the game which is fine because it maneuvers very slowly. The missile ships, while powerful like an SS, have a hard time hitting moving targets. The only time I'm able to one shot a supply is if its sitting stationary and makes no attempt to move. As soon as the target starts to move, anything under a dread is hard to hit. Hope some of this makes sense. As to latency, depending on my isp's load I get around 100-300 ping. While its hard to jump out in a scout if you aren't on your toes, anything destroyer hullsized or larger I can always can escape. Whats your average latency?

Why are you even bothering to explain things to him??

He just wants the game made easier for his current rank.

Once he gets to GA or Marshal, he'll once again want the game tailored the other way.... beams powered up to one shot the sun!

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-26 23:03   

Quote:

Why are you even bothering to explain things to him??

He just wants the game made easier for his current rank.

Once he gets to GA or Marshal, he'll once again want the game tailored the other way.... beams powered up to one shot the sun!

Can always hope he will understand it

Kaepora
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-26 23:06   
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 07:32, Toby D Syded wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-03-26 06:59, Fluttershy wrote:
You don't have to aim, you just slow to 0, press J, and mash the space bar.

ill give it to you on that one...

suggestion :- devices cannot be activated or deactivated while in jump
suggestion :- devices cannot be activated 5 seconds after jump aborts/completes.

+1 to nerfing pointjump
+1 to nerfing immediate cloaking after jump
+1 to fluttershy for grasping the main issue at hand
[ This Message was edited by: Toby D Syded on 2012-03-26 07:33 ]

I like this.

And lots complain about not being able to track kluth. This isnt a game changer, it just actually makes them slightly more killable.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025784 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR