No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » BOARDING
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author BOARDING
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-27 19:10   
Quote:

On 2012-03-27 18:09, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 14:30, Pantheon wrote:
We don't inflict prestige penalties so as to give people a chance to capture you back.
If the ship leaves the war zone and flies into a gate, then the user will not lose any prestige.

This is a bit unfair: killing a ship definitely plus prestige of the killer & minus prestige/durability of the victim. But capturing a ship doesn't minus any prestige/durability of the victim AND you can't confirm the success of capture even when you assure your infantry will defeat victim's one.

I think if you leave the a chance for people to capture it back, then that is an opportunity to defend/offend a certain target, which definitely leads to an interesting combat race. I believe players are not happy at all when most of the times red inf only damaged ship internal gadgets. They take risk, and they try to capture occasionally but the result doesn't like expected; it's just mad and upset. But I bet both sides are eager to rescue or terminate the CAPTURED ship when they read this topic. Therefore, I suggest you make capture always succeed when red inf conquer the ship.

As NPC AI has been increased, I don't think CAPTURED ship is easy to kill. So please let the race begin frequently by guaranteeing inf capture at 100%.

I'm struggling to understand anything you said - I also don't think you quite understand how it works by the sound of things...

Having your ship always capture if there are no green inf is an absolute no-go for incredibly obvious reasons that anyone with an interest in a balanced and non-frustrating game would see.

If you're not happy that your infantry don't capture the ship all the time - think how frustrating, annoying and unfun it would be to have a 100% capture rate for the player flying the ship. The game has been in such a terrible state in the past because of suggestions that only take into account the fun the person using a device or game mechanic. ALWAYS take into consideration the people on the receiving end.

So no. There will be no 100% capture rate (I really hope you're trolling).

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-28 02:49   
Quote:
On 2012-03-27 19:10, BackSlash (R33) wrote:
I'm struggling to understand anything you said

I need the held from someone who can comprehend me and write in an appropriate way for you to understand. Is there anyone that you could introduce to me?

I'll try to improve English later.
Quote:
ALWAYS take into consideration the people on the receiving end.
(I really hope you're trolling)

I'm not trolling. I'm serious and enthusiasm in suggestion post. My English is just too poor to express thoroughly.
Quote:
If you're not happy that your infantry don't capture the ship all the time - think how frustrating, annoying and unfun it would be to have a 100% capture rate for the player flying the ship.

My bad. I didn't read Manual carefully and I read it too long ago.
The first time I read 7.8 Boarding and Capturing Vessels, all I noticed and remembered was "the only way to capture a ship is by boarding inf on it". During playing, I always hear question & answer like this:
- Q: What's the point to board inf on a ship?
- A: To capture it.
or
- Q: How to capture a ship?
- A: Send inf on it. Your infantry must defeat all the ship's infantry in order to capture it.
Nobody says full details as 7.8. No one askes about system damage. They always insist on capturing.

The true and only purpose to board inf on a ship is to capture it. That purpose is so strong that everyone almost forget everything else. The kidnapper thinks "I'll capture you", the victim thinks "I'll be captured"... Is there any victim thinks "How worse is the system damage" or is there any kidnapper thinks "I hope the system damage will be nice"? Most players don't take light capturing part; that's why they're used to asking for extra inf from nearby teamate. They don't notice system damaged.

Assuming a kidnapper continuously board inf on an empty victim. This is the facts:
  1. First capture fails: kidnapper - sigh; victim - serenity
  2. Second capture fails: kidnapper - upset; victim - amusing
  3. Third capture fails: kidnapper - frustrating; victim - annoying

How frustrating, annoying and unfunny it would be to not have a 100% capture rate for both the player flying the ship and the player capturing the ship!

Excuse me but I don't understand the incredibly obvious reasons that anyone with an interest in a balanced and non-frustrating game would see. My thesis is:
  1. When a ship hull reaches 0, it's destroyed. The dead man should be annoyed but not frustrated.
  2. Same as 1, when red inf successfully conquer a ship, it's captured. The victim should be annoyed but not frustated.

Now I know the game mechanics by reading the 7.8 section in Manual. I don't struggle by all means to have it 100%. I just want to speak as a player, I find this mechanics is not really exciting. The evidence lays in Ships Captured page. The number is not as high as other rankings because capturing is about pure luckiness and thus player is not interested in it. I hope the ratio of capture, somehow, adjusted so that difficullty of ship capturing is more acceptable.

P/S: If you don't understand my essay, please leave me an offline message. I'll try to modify a better document or seek for the help from who willing to rewritten.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-03-28 02:53 ]

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-03-28 05:44   
Kluth Trannies.... Kluth Trannies Everywhere...

[Insert Woody and Buzz lightyear meme.]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-28 06:07   

Fortunately for you, most Kluth players prefer pew pew to boarding.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-03-28 17:42   
It makes sense that capturing is hard... the ships would have internal defence systems, even when empty to kill enemy infantry (think things like turrets in the corridors). The inf need to fight through those turrets and any enemy inf. Then they need to fight to something crucial to the ship, like engines or the bridge.

Its very unlikely that would be successful because you would have a few companies of soldiers fighting the thousands that would crew a dreadnought and the ships defences.

[ This Message was edited by: Loyalty *TO* on 2012-03-28 17:46 ]

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-28 20:08   
Its not like star ships are defended by air marshals and the TSA. They have something that actually works.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-28 20:29   
I recall a hard sci-fi RPG sourcebook discussing boarding actions saying something along the lines of "if the players are attempting to board and capture an enemy warship, a lot of them will die."

Think about it. The crew of a warship won't be 100% marines, but they'll all be trained and armed and they will outnumber the boarders by some large margin. They will be defending a ship designed to be easily defended with strongpoints and chokepoints at vital locations. If the attackers are REALLY unlucky they'll have heavy weapons in prepared positions at strategic positions that you won't be able to flank.

The corridors will not typically have anything in the way of cover. Your marines are probably very well-equipped but if you advance too hastily you'll get blown away by prepared positions that are WAITING for you to run around the corner. If you advance too slowly you'll get surrounded and there's only so much armour can do when you're in a bad position. If you use heavy weapons you risk breaching the hull or damaging something vital which could prevent you from flying the ship back home once you've captured it.

Good luck, troopers.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-28 22:59   

I wonder if in future, there will be extra features or functions that boarding troops can be given.

Besides the planetary ATTACK, DEFEND, RAZE, perhaps troops can have a second set of orders for boarding like CAPTURE, DISABLE (disable JD, Engines, gens), and DESTROY (set ship for SD)

Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-03-29 04:01   
Friendly troops on your ship should have a significant advantage when getting borded then.

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-01 04:44   
Quote:

On 2012-03-28 20:29, Gejaheline wrote:
I recall a hard sci-fi RPG sourcebook discussing boarding actions saying something along the lines of "if the players are attempting to board and capture an enemy warship, a lot of them will die."

Think about it. The crew of a warship won't be 100% marines, but they'll all be trained and armed and they will outnumber the boarders by some large margin. They will be defending a ship designed to be easily defended with strongpoints and chokepoints at vital locations. If the attackers are REALLY unlucky they'll have heavy weapons in prepared positions at strategic positions that you won't be able to flank.

The corridors will not typically have anything in the way of cover. Your marines are probably very well-equipped but if you advance too hastily you'll get blown away by prepared positions that are WAITING for you to run around the corner. If you advance too slowly you'll get surrounded and there's only so much armour can do when you're in a bad position. If you use heavy weapons you risk breaching the hull or damaging something vital which could prevent you from flying the ship back home once you've captured it.

Good luck, troopers.

Add onto that automated anti personal turrets.

Those are always fun to encounter.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.023017 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR