No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Ship Names
 Author Ship Names
TheDarkhelmet95
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-03-27 23:29   
I wanted to change my name to match my ship starting with ICS. Someone said that its against the RoC. So I looked through it and I didn't find anything on names.

Just wanted to know if it could start with ICS.

Note: In the future can we name our ships?

Email TheDarkhelmet95
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-27 23:43   
I asked Sard and he asked Doran (and then he asked his second removed roommate's cousins .. nevermind) and the ruling is basically:

As long as you don't get mistaken for an AI, you're fine. If it becomes a problem they (the mods) will just ask you to change your name

As for "naming your ships", that's a feature planned and hopefully coming in soon

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-03-28 00:41   
Quote:
On 2012-03-27 23:43, Fattierob wrote:
I asked Sard and he asked Doran (and then he asked his second removed roommate's cousins .. nevermind) and the ruling is basically:

As long as you don't get mistaken for an AI, you're fine. If it becomes a problem they (the mods) will just ask you to change your name

I asked LobbyGhost, it said Doran was the name of a superb bot...

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-03-28 00:46   
Qn:

When shipnames is implemented, the game will automatically prefix the names of players' ICC and UGTO ships with ICS and UWS, right?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-03-28 00:52 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-03-28 10:20   
Quote:

3.1.6 Accuracy / Deception / Privacy
Likewise, using official game resource names without prior explicit permission is expressly forbidden.
This includes server names.

AI names are traditionally covered under this clause too.

Now then, in it's current implementation, the still-in-beta ship naming feature still lists you-the-player's name above whichever ship name you've set, which clearly diferentiates you from an AI ship.

So for example, "ICS Exathra Transport" wouldnt be kosher, but
"[ESF]ICS Golden -={k1ng™}=-[d00d]©{th3 0n3}*!69!*-(RaR)-[420]-XXVIII-®(©0013r th4n y0u™)™™[0159]*FA*®-{l33t}-{suK It}-©hAmP™ GothThug {D?}
ICS King Hell God Emperor Dreadnaught of Death And You Cant Fly It Yet"
would teeeeechnically be fine, but we could reasonably (and probably will) still ask you to change it.

And on that note, should you commit an act of aggrivated HERPDERP and think that a roc-breaking ship name is a good idea, you can expect to be warned, you will be expected to change your name right this instant if not sooner, and if you dont, expect to be kicked and expect your ENTIRE GARAGE to vanish, no subsitutions or refunds.

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2012-03-28 11:14   
Question:

According to those three images with the silhouettes of the ship types, it states on the ICC one that the name prefix of ICC-ships is "C.S.S." (Conferderate Star Ship).
Why do the ships in beta have ICS as the prefix?

TheDarkhelmet95
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-03-28 11:29   
what about a name that is'nt taken by an AI? I was going to do "ICS Explorer"

Email TheDarkhelmet95
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-03-28 12:03   
Quote:

On 2012-03-28 11:14, Thernhoghas (RO) wrote:
Question:

According to those three images with the silhouettes of the ship types, it states on the ICC one that the name prefix of ICC-ships is "C.S.S." (Conferderate Star Ship).
Why do the ships in beta have ICS as the prefix?

Before the Farstars war the UGTO ships used the prefix "TVS" for "Trade Vanguard Ship". This reflected the fleets primary purpose of an anti-piracy role.

With the breakout of the Farstars war, the UGTO ships had their prefixes renamed to "UWS" - United Worlds Ship. This was largely a response to the Farstars ship prefix of "CWS" - Colonial Worlds Ship. The farstars used captured pirate vessels as well as their own so the designation was important to them, but didn't matter to the UGTO (pirates and rebels are two likes alike).

With the Farstars eventual defeat and swallowing up into what is now the ICC, the ICC decided that any old ships could still bear the "CWS" prefix or the military-sponsored "CSS" Prefix (Colonial Star Ship), but any new ships produced would use the new ICC prefix - "ICS" for Intersteller Confederate Starship.

The UGTO haven't changed as much as the ICC did, so they still use the old UWS designation

tl;dr: slight history retcon + making history

Thernhoghas
Grand Admiral
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2012-03-28 12:46   
Quote:

On 2012-03-28 12:03, Fattierob wrote:

slight history retcon + making history

Thanks for clearing that.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-03-28 14:17   
Quote:

On 2012-03-28 00:46, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Qn:

When shipnames is implemented, the game will automatically prefix the names of players' ICC and UGTO ships with ICS and UWS, right?

As it was last implemented in Beta it won't add them automatically, but you can add them yourself. Just remember that the game doesn't recognize spaces by default, so if you just type in ICS Shipname, your ship will only be named ICS. In order to get it to recognize spaces, either put the whole name in quotation marks--i.e. "ICS Shipname"--or replace any spaces with underscores--i.e., ICS_Shipname. Either one works.

The system may or may not get changed prior to release, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Email Jim Starluck
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-03-28 16:06   
Faustus has reverted all ship name changes currently and is working on a framework to support such things ( aswell as UI improvements to support such things ).

Page created in 0.018748 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR