No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » savings
 Author savings
Alzek15
Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-25 14:06   
i got an idea, ive been hearing about the cost of bandwidth and i had an idea. why dont we just get rid of the pirate/mi servers, replace them with a dedicated system in sag and save money on two less servers?

Email Alzek15
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-25 15:01   
While we're at it, why don't we remove all servers but Sag, all systems but one, and have three uncappable planets for all three factions. Ships cost nothing to spawn.

They can fight in the middle around an inferno planet, which has a PvP zone around 5kgu in radius.

-Ent

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-25 15:38   
awesome! fearies fly around spreading pixiedust,
dancing leprechauns stomp stations and dreads,
and all will be well

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-25 16:09   
Quote:

On 2012-04-25 14:06, Alzek15 wrote:
i got an idea, ive been hearing about the cost of bandwidth and i had an idea. why dont we just get rid of the pirate/mi servers, replace them with a dedicated system in sag and save money on two less servers?

Everything runs on one server. Each system is locked to a dedicated core running at 2.7 Ghz (soon to be 2 Ghz, but newer architecture, so roughly the same).

Moving them to their own 'dedicated system' does nothing, as each system runs on one core .

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-04-25 16:16   
Servers & Bandwidth, why do people always read the second first?
Quote:
On 2012-04-25 14:06, Alzek15 wrote:
idea,
bandwidth
idea.
pirate/mi
servers, replace
dedicated
two less servers?

Anyhow The servers you are thinking about ar not just physical servers. Multiple 'constellations' run on the same physical server.
Each constellation having it's own CPU Core.
So to cut your answer short; we can't really save money from just downing two parts of the MV. DarkSpace uses Windows Dedicated machines and those just come at a steeper price compared to for example a linux one. And it is hard to virtualize high preformance demanding windows applications then it would be for a linux application.
There has been works in the past of porting the DS servers to linux, and we all hope Faustus will one day have those finished so we can move to a bit more cheaper server rentals. But until this is done we will have to make due with what we get. There is always other ideas of how to save costs, cutting down on the server is one, but this will limit our future expandability options.
Are there other options to try? yes, heck Faustus had already tried to run darkspace over a dedicated (T1?) internet line from his basement.. err i mean Home office. That is not the limit as there may be more options to try, but the Faustus said he will always try to keep DS alive. So he will due what must be done, should it be done. And lets not forget that the game has continued to run for 11 years including all the ups and downs, should tell enough.

To close this reply:
Lets not forget ourselves.. the players, Staff and anyone else who might be relevant.
We all like to thank each-other for our continued support for DarkSpace. Faustus just had to ask for some additional donations, and just look at the other thread, We reply.
One for all, All for DarkSpace!

E

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-26 18:46   
hang on a moment - if all the servs run on their own core,

could we chop off a useless, never used server(procyon, anybody?) and then dedicate 2 cores to the MV? could fix some of this lag stuff and make, for example, nice missile tracking codes not as mutch as a problem.

Princess Celestia
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-26 20:02   
Quote:

On 2012-04-26 18:46, iwancoppa wrote:

could we chop off a useless, never used server(procyon, anybody?) and then dedicate 2 cores to the MV? could fix some of this lag stuff and make, for example, nice missile tracking codes not as mutch as a problem.

dont you know that procyne is in the MV?? more or less cut it off and throw into sag is what your saying.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-04-26 22:13   
Quote:

I don't know the specifics of how the servers are set up, but i know we have a 8 core dedicated machine. and we got 8 servers. that + other servers are unaffected by a server that was running at around 80% load (old figures from before the planetary defense changes)
But theoretically yes we could. But in Practice, DS is not written for Multi-core. So i do not know if we could. Using multiple cores requires multiple threads, and i don't have any idea if we could split up the tick calculations.
So yes&no.
Faustus does everything to keep the game running optimal as possible. he even re-checks every code change the other coding-developers make. And if he finds that the new code is, inefficient, harmfull, or just poorly written; he will revert the change, give feedback to coder on how to adjust, or just plainly adjusts the code as efficiently as possible for us. He puts in a lot of work with the checking to make the game as smoothly running as possible.

E.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-26 22:25   
Quote:

I don't think you understand how it works...

We currently split up the entire Metaverse into segments, which you better know as constellations. Each constellation is housed on its own process, which containts the map data, and the links to the other process servers.

The current process services are as follows:
Andromeda
Cassiopeia
Lacerta
Procyon
Rogens Rift
Sagittarius
Scenario
Ursa Minor

Each server is locked to its own core, so shutting down Rogens Rift and Procyon will do nothing. All of the processing done for Sagittarius is done on its own core, and none of the other processes can affect the load on that core.

The reason the missile intercept code has to be simplistic is because it's not a simple roll-based simulation. It may not have much of an impact when there are 10-30 missiles flying about, but we have to make sure we're covered if we have 100+ flying about too, which is why it can't be too taxing.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-04-26 23:55   
Quote:

On 2012-04-26 23:54, iwancoppa wrote:
Hmm.

allthough it probably wouldnt be terribly efficient, could 1 constellation be shut down and the missile tracking offloaded to a seperate executeable that can be ran on the spare core?

No.

Plus I should probably mention that all the constellations other than Sag run at about 10% utilisation or below. Sag is the only server that stays above 40%.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-04-26 23:55 ]

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-04-27 06:06   
Quote:

On 2012-04-27 05:48, iwancoppa wrote:
Hmm.

allthough it probably wouldnt be terribly efficient, could 1 constellation be shut down and the missile tracking offloaded to a seperate executeable that can be ran on the spare core?

Eledore already stated that Darkspace is not written for multi-core... Having the missile tracking in a different server would require the same communication as a multi-core system.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Page created in 0.014261 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR