No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Mines
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Mines
GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 14:24   
So recently i've been having some fun in the Minelayer Destroyer and i've realized that mines can hurt a ship VERY BADLY.
but the mines are still hampered severely so could we remove the Drop limit on mines and can we make mines Un PDable unless u have some kind of ECCM on (last time i checked in manual it said Mines have a low sig) so i mean y can anyone just PD them. mines are awesome so i wonder would it be possible to remove these hampers on the mines

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-28 15:02   
Quote:

On 2012-04-28 14:24, Fatal Devil Dog wrote:
So recently i've been having some fun in the Minelayer Destroyer and i've realized that mines can hurt a ship VERY BADLY.
but the mines are still hampered severely so could we remove the Drop limit on mines and can we make mines Un PDable unless u have some kind of ECCM on (last time i checked in manual it said Mines have a low sig) so i mean y can anyone just PD them. mines are awesome so i wonder would it be possible to remove these hampers on the mines

Mines are limited for a reason.

Excessive mine spammage = eventual one hit kills on any ship. Gate mining used to be a fun past time, though wormholes pretty much get around it now.

It would be nice if mines had a much bigger AoE so that despite their terrible ability to actually directly hit a target, they can still do damage.

-Ent

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-28 15:07   
i thought AoE got toned down cause then the mines where to strong if u compare its fp to other ships of same class. i think less aoe forces ppl to do daring manoevres with the mining vessel in order to get a large percentage of mines to hit. This makes the minelayer a ship with its own special playing style.

If anything, i think an extra rear shield or armor plate would be better, to encourage flying in front of someone and drop those mines in his/her face

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 15:55   
Quote:

On 2012-04-28 15:07, Furiosity wrote:
If anything, i think an extra rear shield or armor plate would be better, to encourage flying in front of someone and drop those mines in his/her face

THIS is, why mines were nerfed

Imho, instaed of placing multiple projectiles you can shoot down, minelayers should place a single object with some health, that deals damage to enemy-ships nearby and are only detectable to scanners

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 17:04   
Aoe dosent need a buff sure WH can avoid them but only 4 ships have WH devices and unless u got that u going through a gate most likely
okay forgot the drop limit just fix the freaking Sig for them
u and i both no that mines are crap cause they just get PD'd that wouldnt be OP cause u just need ECCM period. thats all Fix the SIG PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 17:08   
Mines are a double edged sword to balance and they're probably not going to be touched for a while.

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-04-28 18:56   
I think I wrote a long post about mines somewhere, but it basically boils down to the fact that mines are either totally, utterly useless or insanely overpowered, and would need substantial refactoring to sort them out.

TL;DR: It's somewhere on the to-do list.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 20:58   
I have one suggestion that may help, it's more or less based off the way mines work in Allegiance.

Have each mine behave as a "field"
The launcher will only be able to deploy one field every several seconds up to a maximum.
The faster an enemy ship flies through the field, the more damage they take.
If a ship goes very slowly, they wont take much damage. If a ship plows through at full speed, they'll regret it.

This should allow it to actually serve its function as a device for shaping the battlefield.

These fields could be set to be inactive for several seconds, and have a 'density' that causes them become less effective as enemy ships use up the field.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 21:15   
yeah, that was the plan that we came up many moons ago when we thought about it. make it an AOE field of damage.

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-28 23:56   
Alright so the idea is to make mines have a bigger AOE now this dosent solve the fact that mines are just PD'd no point in making a bigger field if they just PD'd unless u going to make the AOE more than the range on laser ?

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-29 00:04   
The fields couldn't be PD'd, They'd stay there until they wear out, expire, or are deactivated by the one who placed it.

If they could be shot at, perhaps shooting them should diminish the field and eventually make it vanish altogether.

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-29 01:46   
Quote:

On 2012-04-29 00:04, Fluttershy wrote:
The fields couldn't be PD'd, They'd stay there until they wear out, expire, or are deactivated by the one who placed it.

If they could be shot at, perhaps shooting them should diminish the field and eventually make it vanish altogether.

thats stupid making them Un PDable with be stupid just make the sig low and u'd need an eccm to see them
and they cant just vanish there Mines not casper its there or not if its shot boom its gone
simply make the sig low where u cant PD without ECCM
or take out the drop limit. the AOE idea is nice but like i said Its stupid if they just get shot

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-29 01:51   
[quote]
On 2012-04-28 15:02, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:

Excessive mine spammage = eventual one hit kills on any ship.

enterprise i can one shot ships with missiles. to my knowledge mines and tier2 missiles are similiar in damage so when i can one shot small ships its same thing but mines are hard to do it with. its not like the whole team will run mine ships if we do this i mean they still suck
People have to hit the mines and u dont have that many mines to begin with enough to mine one gate and to cover the whole gate a ship can break the mine field without much damage

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-04-29 02:17   
[quote]
On 2012-04-29 01:51, Fatal Devil Dog wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-04-28 15:02, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:

Excessive mine spammage = eventual one hit kills on any ship.

enterprise i can one shot ships with missiles. to my knowledge mines and tier2 missiles are similiar in damage so when i can one shot small ships its same thing but mines are hard to do it with. its not like the whole team will run mine ships if we do this i mean they still suck
People have to hit the mines and u dont have that many mines to begin with enough to mine one gate and to cover the whole gate a ship can break the mine field without much damage

Trust me when I say, there are names that the oldest Darkspace players with us still remember. They are the names of players very, very good at killing other players with mines when they were unlimited and powerful.

At least with missiles you have a chance. Trust me when I say, that the entire reason mines are limited now can be attributed to just how good you could be with them.

Missiles will not one hit kill any ship... I'm talking about minefields that could destroy a station and everything that came through with it.

Big difference.

-Ent

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-04-29 02:35   
Everything I say gets so misunderstood...

When I said it couldn't be PD'd, it's because there would be nothing TO PD, it would be a field, a big disk that damages you when you fly through it.

The way I envision it, it's a little disk about 200gu's across, similar to how an interdictor disk is, but textured with mines or something.
If you fly through it slowly, you will get through it without much damage.
If you fly through it fast, you'll take significantly more damage.

It may be wise to work out a way to prevent or discourage overlapping minefields. This way you can't just instakill someone going through a gate.
It will behave as an attrition weapon like planet defenses, not an easy mode lay-and-pray device.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021553 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR