- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Evellon
16th - faudin
14th - moriens

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Missiles Arming
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Missiles Arming
GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 00:13   
I was reading a post a couple days ago
and one of the Dev's i think it was pantheon said missiles minimum range is the arming distance for the missile so how does the gangila fire at 200gu and still do damage when it hasnt traveled the arming distance
did i misread or is this meant to be this way

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-05-05 03:56   
Gang has other weapons than its missiles, and those are what are doing the damage. Missiles won't do damage inside their "arming" range.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-05-05 05:00   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 00:13, Fatal Devil Dog wrote:
I was reading a post a couple days ago
and one of the Dev's i think it was pantheon said missiles minimum range is the arming distance for the missile so how does the gangila fire at 200gu and still do damage when it hasnt traveled the arming distance
did i misread or is this meant to be this way

Quote:

In the Missile bug thread, Fattierob wrote:

AR Missile: 85 GU/s * 1.5sec arm time = 300 gu
IT Missile: 70 GU/s * 3.0sec arm time = 210 GU
Harpex Missile: 70 GU/s * 6.8sec arm time = 430 GU
Peregrine Missile: 120 GU/s * 2.8sec arm time = 336 GU
Raptor Missile: 110 GU/s * 3.4sec arm time = 374 GU
Sparrow Missile: 115 GU/s * 3.1sec arm time = 356.5 GU
Linear Drive Missile: 95 GU/s * 4.8sec arm time = 456 GU
Shrould Missile: 100 GU/s * 2.1sec arm time = 210 GU
PSI Missile: 115 GU/s * 1.75sec arm time = 201.25 GU

ganglias (and all other kluth missile ships) can shoot missiles at targets as close as 200 gus.
apparently IT missiles can also shoot at 200 gu range. interesting...

this may probably be being looked/reviewed upon..

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 07:15   
Please remember that it's the "traveling" distance that is more important, not the raw number between two targets. If you have missiles that shoot straight up or straight down and they exist long enough to arm as they turn themselves back into the playing field, they can hit stuff that is very close to your ship.

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 10:51   
Y on EARTH or DS either one.
y do u have the most powerful (tactically) missile in DS at a 100 gu arming distance not to mention that since the PD system is bugged u cant even Shoot them before they hit u

Airwolf^
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 12:27   
most powerfull missiles are Harpex, and by god i love them... if only they did have an arming distance of 240gu *drools*

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-05 12:40   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 10:51, Fatal Devil Dog wrote:
y do u have the most powerful (tactically) missile in DS at a 100 gu arming distance not to mention that since the PD system is bugged u cant even Shoot them before they hit u

I dont think you grasp the factional weakness/strength part very well....A GANGLIA daring to fire that close is putting itself in a lot of danger, because it has screw-all worthless armor. Also, its close in weapons are not really all that good. In short; a Ganglia @ 200 gus should be a snack for anything above a dessie, and even more so if it is in an enemy gravity well generator.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 14:23   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 12:27, Airwolf^ wrote:
most powerfull missiles are Harpex, and by god i love them... if only they did have an arming distance of 240gu *drools*

Air i said tactically not damage wise and 240 vs 100 one volley of harpex takes virtually the same as one volley of shrouds but u cant see shrouds thus Y on Earth do they have a 100 gu arm thats stupid if you cant barely see them and if your in laser range firing on a target say 150 gu and he can lob missiles y ur lasers charge thats stupid move the arming distance OUT

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 14:26   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 12:40, Azreal wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 10:51, Fatal Devil Dog wrote:

I dont think you grasp the factional weakness/strength part very well....A GANGLIA daring to fire that close is putting itself in a lot of danger, because it has screw-all worthless armor. Also, its close in weapons are not really all that good. In short; a Ganglia @ 200 gus should be a snack for anything above a dessie, and even more so if it is in an enemy gravity well generator.

i dont understand were u get that the GANG can OWN anyship cause he just lobbs missile at him since the PD sytem is shot ur shields drop instantly dont say its a weak ship when a hulled gang with me shooting at him can fire missile and make me lose the battle cause of the 100 gu arming that NOT weak the Gangs is OP or the Shrouds are OP and of course you'll say im QQ'ing or not a Long time player or the dev's will say something to make me sound stupid but its ur comment is a joke

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-05 15:27   
shrouds n harpex do AoE damage. when u pd it, it still dmges u a bit. especially with pulse beams since they have shorter range. Also in my case i see missles just in time when they 50 gu near, cause of latency. everything happens a sec later and i have to take it into account.

once u see the missles 50 gu in front of u they alrdy hit u. That u cant see the missles means there isnt enough time to render em. they where fired, u pd-ed some, the others hit. we all know theres 1,5 sec after firing shrouds, where they cant be seen. no matter how many eccm u got. so at rlly short ranges, its ture, u cant see the missles fired and u wont see urself pd-ing. but u are.

dont use pulse beams vs shrouds

[ This Message was edited by: Bang! on 2012-05-05 15:31 ]

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 15:32   
shrouds have a small AOE they dont take down ur shields amor and hull u

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-05 18:23   
still wainting for the
"but the ganglia have also a cloak" card

the gang *might* have the smallest minimum range of all missile ships (along with the hive, luths only 2missile ships) but luth missiles have also the smallest maximum range of all missiles

correct me if im wrong, but afaik luth missiles cant shoot at targets >800gu while icc can shoot up to 1500gu

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-05-05 18:46   
The Psionic missile have falloff, and I believe the Shroud was supposed to - not sure why it doesn't.

All weapons are being looked into towards the end of May (or whenever myself and Fattierob have time to sit down and look at them), this includes falloff values and damage - that includes Shroud missiles.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-05-05 20:23   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 18:46, Pantheon wrote:
The Psionic missile have falloff, and I believe the Shroud was supposed to - not sure why it doesn't.

All weapons are being looked into towards the end of May (or whenever myself and Fattierob have time to sit down and look at them), this includes falloff values and damage - that includes Shroud missiles.

Question: Why are missiles subjected to falloff? Perhaps I can understand the PSI is, since they're mental projections of the Kluth.
But the shroud is regular hardware like the rest of the missiles, barring the neg sig. If so then they shd all have falloff. But as I said, why shd missiles have falloff??

Missile ships use range to do damage. Putting falloff into missiles defeats that purpose.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-05-05 20:26 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-05-05 21:38   
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 20:23, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-05-05 18:46, Pantheon wrote:

Question: Why are missiles subjected to falloff? Perhaps I can understand the PSI is, since they're mental projections of the Kluth.
But the shroud is regular hardware like the rest of the missiles, barring the neg sig. If so then they shd all have falloff. But as I said, why shd missiles have falloff??

Missile ships use range to do damage. Putting falloff into missiles defeats that purpose.

I believe the entire reason they have short activation ranges is due to the fact that they were supposed to have falloff.

K'Luth aren't designed for long range warfare, never have been designed for it. Unfortunately, I've never really been a position to stop what had happened prior to me becoming head of the dev team, which has lead to situations like this - long range K'luth.

You can give any roleplay spiel you like, but the truth of the matter is, that long range K'Luth ships simply don't work (even if you take away the fact that we don't want them). They have EXTREMELY high survivability due to cloak and range, and they deal very high damage whilst doing so (and may I add, the missiles have base negative signature).

This has never sat well with me with any ship or faction, you should never be able to do a lot of damage and couple it with high survivability/saftey, and this is what some K'Luth ships to. It's one of those situations which is only enjoyable for the person flying it because of the fact they know they have a decreased chance of dying, and can pump out lots of damage whilst doing it. On the flip side however, it's not enjoyable for the receiving party(s), and I don't like forcing frustrating situations onto players, as it usually causes them to log off.

They may well be changed in the future to something else, but for now we're probably going to go with the falloff system to balance long range K'Luth ships. It's very difficult to take something away once it has been given, as you'll always upset someone, so I think the best middle ground would be to allow the ship to be potent at short range (as is designed for all K'Luth ships) and allow them to function at long range, but with decreased potency.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024957 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR