Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Anything that's not a dread isn't a "real ship"?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
 Author Anything that's not a dread isn't a "real ship"?
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-08 08:21   
quit bringing up realism.

Look, here is the problem with having one type of ship that's many times better than another.
ONE PLAYER IS OPERATING IT.

See that tiny lil scout? One player.
See that gigantic unstoppable station? One player.

are you seeing the problem here?

But since you did bring up realism, little frigates and patrol ships don't have nearly as many crew as a city sized dreadnought, and if players were crew, then it should take a dozen players to operate a dread to a scouts 1.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-05-08 08:25 ]

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-08 08:40   
Realism in any game is typically very, very far away from actual realism. This is because cool things aren't real. Any argument for realism s just an appeal to emotion.

What happens is, things in the game are continually changed based on what is thought to be fun and reasonable. Players overwhelmingly prefer Dreadnaught based combat. There is so much of the game that revolves around player thoughts is amazing. Let me be clear, if the majority of players really wanted more variety, we'd have it.

And of course, big F has the final say on everything anyways.

I think more incentives to fly smaller ships is nice, and when we have Marshal and CM ships players will have to grapple with this thought: If these small ships beat my Dread, are they are not just as entitled as I because of the Rank/Badge requirements are even more?

Its interesting from just specatating on player interaction.

-Ent

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-08 08:52   
I understand the entitlement that comes with ranks and badges, but I do not agree that it should give you something that's just plain better.

So what happens is a player gets better skill-wise, but also get better by having more options, bigger ships, and enhancements.

New players will come into the game to have themselves getting crushed beneath clashing titans.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-05-08 09:42   
Quote:

On 2012-05-08 08:08, Fluttershy wrote:
Why would you limit new players to roles that really need a fair amount of experience to do properly? Minus supply.. which is just plain boring.

It's not a limit. It's an advice. You're free to enter combat. Just prepared to get stomped. 

But then you'll come onto the forums and QQ abt getting stomped... and start asking for silly things like making frigates and destroyers powerful enough to take on dreads. Life is unfair. Deal with it. 

So it's yr choice. Supp n grind up. Or fight and die. But FFS stop yr persistent whining. 

Quote:

On 2012-05-08 08:40, Enterprise wrote:
Realism in any game is typically very, very far away from actual realism. This is because cool things aren't real. Any argument for realism s just an appeal to emotion.

What happens is, things in the game are continually changed based on what is thought to be fun and reasonable. Players overwhelmingly prefer Dreadnaught based combat. There is so much of the game that revolves around player thoughts is amazing. Let me be clear, if the majority of players really wanted more variety, we'd have it.

I think what Azreal meant was "make sense". A game may not be necessarily realistic semantically speaking, but it has to make sense somewhat. You know... Be "realistic". 

Would it make sense to give an ensign a dread, while those who have ranked up scouts? Just an example... A poor one.... as provided earlier by Flutt.  The answer is right there in yr face. NO. 

It isn't "realistic", and it sure as he'll doesn't make sense why putting time into the game doesn't bring you more options or better equipment.

It's the same as enhancements. Why should some guy who didn't spend any cash or creds be given or entitled to better enh or power-ups than me?

To clarify, I am one of those players who want better small ships not because I really care about whinging noobs or lowbies like Flutt. No. I want better small ships because I want variety. I want to see mixed ships in a fleet.

And better ships do NOT mean more powerful small ships. I mean ships outfitted to perform their roles well. The ICC Strike Cruiser is a good example. It performs well against dreads and stations, bringing heavy firepower to the table with manueverability to dodge return fire. But if any cruiser or Dessie jumps in to pursue it, the game is up.

But without better small ships, I would rather stick it out in my dread until they become available. It's a vicious cycle, sadly. That's why I hope Jack, Frob and Jim has an ace up their sleeves on the weap n def balance as well as the new weaps. 

Quote:

On 2012-05-08 08:52, Fluttershy wrote:
I understand the entitlement that comes with ranks and badges, but I do not agree that it should give you something that's just plain better.

So what happens is a player gets better skill-wise, but also get better by having more options, bigger ships, and enhancements.

New players will come into the game to have themselves getting crushed beneath clashing titans.

What entitlement? The only thing in DS that comes with ranks are bigger and better ships. 

Enhancements come from credits purchased thru cash. It's in a diff league altogether. 

So to answer your question bluntly: YES, RANK SHOULD GIVE YOU SOMETHING THAT'S PLAIN BETTER. 

Earn your rank by grinding your way up either thru supping, building, bombing, or fighting. Everyone goes thru it. I did.

If you think it's too rough and tough then click on LOGOFF. 

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-05-08 10:06 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-08 10:06   
Quit attacking me. I'm not a noob, I don't suck, and I can fly dreads.

Maybe I'm, I dunno, sympathizing for new players?

Maybe I want variety in the game?

This is a tactical conquest game, no unit should be all-powerful. Especially when each unit requires 1 whole player, the most limited resource in DarkSpace.

I guess you are in favor of "the good old boys" having the fate of the entire MV grabbed by the balls, and everyone else is just a lowly useless pawn.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-05-08 10:09 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-05-08 10:20   
i think this thread has run its course.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Page created in 0.019137 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR