- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Evellon
16th - faudin
14th - moriens

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » Tutorial server ~= return to scripting?
 Author Tutorial server ~= return to scripting?
Andre_Skow(FF-34)
Commander

Posted: 2012-05-07 14:22   
Now that we have a local server again, will we be able to make the fleet actions and maps that I've heard we used to be able too? Because it could allow us to make some epic trailers etc

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-05-07 14:37   
Doubt it. Last I heard, that conflicts with plans to go straight MV, as far as I'm aware, that hasn't changed yet.
The local server that is used by Tutorial is built in, and its simply how that was initially created in the first place. I don't see a server.exe. So as far as I can see, no. A dev will likely give a more affirimative answer.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-05-07 14:53   
The client runs the tutorial directly via the -tutorial command line, and since there is no server communication, it doesn't require a server. The client can simulate everything the server can do, so in essense, all you need is the same data set.

Unfortunately, the editor allowed some smart people to run their own servers and edit peoples ships (giving them thousands of cannons, for example). Whilst this may sound fun, all it did was dilute the playerbase, and we don't want that. It would require a significant amount of work to fix the editor (we don't even use it) for public use just to make maps, and there are far more important things to be done.

Feel free to make your own maps via the Player Submitted Maps section of the forum, which details exactly how you can design a map for us to use (Dres Kona is one such player made map).

Subtilizer
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-05-07 16:18   
Quote:

On 2012-05-07 14:53, Pantheon wrote:
Feel free to make your own maps via the Player Submitted Maps section of the forum, which details exactly how you can design a map for us to use (Dres Kona is one such player made map).

*Grins"
Oh but i ought to contribute to the thread, the spreadsheet solution isn't the most how can i say this... simple way to get it done. Due to having to guess the size of planets and do distances between objects(the orginal dres spreadsheet was horrible if i recall.)

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-05-07 16:21   
Quote:

On 2012-05-07 16:18, _SRM_Kenny wrote:
Oh but i ought to contribute to the thread, the spreadsheet solution isn't the most how can i say this... simple way to get it done. Due to having to guess the size of planets and do distances between objects(the orginal dres spreadsheet was horrible if i recall.)

thread is now off topic, but if you think you can improve on it, with what's available, im listening.

Subtilizer
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-05-07 16:45   
Quote:

On 2012-05-07 16:21, Doran wrote:
thread is now off topic, but if you think you can improve on it, with what's available, im listening.

Well mostly knowledge, eg: what would the size of said gas planet and small/med/large thing is, its not truly worth the time to make a tool just for this lone purpose considering that at most it'll have only a few meaningful uses.

That and im trying to remember the math that I used to calculate distance(So i can add it to said spreadsheet) as to ensure the radius s of the two don't at worst overlap and that there's decent space between them.

Basically just making it as simple to use so if ever copy-pastaed into the resourcer(or whatever that magic dev tool you have is called.) it'll require less work on it and be closer to what the person who thought it up wished it to be and moreover that the ideas which spawn these player made maps are simpler to realize.

TLDR:
1 Is it possible to know the radius's (approximately) that these planets would be assigned(if given small/med etc).
2 I suck at math and cannot remember how to calculate distance between two points.
3 Is resourcer the name of that dev tool?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-07 17:15   
Quote:

On 2012-05-07 16:45, _SRM_Kenny wrote:
1 Is it possible to know the radius's (approximately) that these planets would be assigned(if given small/med etc).

Just use some numbers and say "I'm guessing that small = 15 gu radus, small is 25, etc" and that should be good enough

Quote:

2 I suck at math and cannot remember how to calculate distance between two points.

sqrt( (object1.xpos - object2.xpos)^2 + (object1.ypos - object2.ypos)^2 + (object2.zpos - object2.zpos)^2 )

you know, http://www.purplemath.com/modules/distform.htm

Quote:

3 Is resourcer the name of that dev tool?

yeah

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-05-07 17:28   
if we put the stuff for a map idea do we have to make a map of it some program

and if so what program

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-05-07 22:20   
Microsoft Excel works last time I looked at it. The .xls file comes with everything set up already, so you just enter the planets and the distances and such. Go to the map submission forum and check the pinned post. Should be there.

Page created in 0.014105 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR