Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Resource sub-types
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Resource sub-types
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-05-09 23:50   
I'd totally be down with having mining, trading, and building more important because of resource types, but when you consider not every planet will have every resource type it starts to turn into a nightmare of a mess. If there's only 1 or 2 planets in a system that has a needed resource type you'd have to decide whether you want to only put a few mines/factories on it and add a lot of defenses, or load it up with mining structures and risk having to recapture it constantly.

Of course, you'd have people building things like Shipyards or offense 2s on them or have them turn into AI builds that nobody wants to fix because they lose pres for scrapping. As much as I'd love to see more depth besides "spawn, jump, mash spacebar until you die, respawn, repeat" even I have to admit there would need to be several changes to facilitate proper implementation.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-10 00:27   
Quote:

On 2012-05-09 23:27, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-05-09 19:40, Enterprise wrote:

It would be pretty easy to make planets important, actually. The problem is that players don't really want them to be important, because then they actually have to worry about losing one. They actually have to care to have that planet on their side. They would actually have to work to make sure their faction had the resources to spawn ships, and would use the amount of ships their faction could support wisely.

But its more fun and entertaining to just spawn anything and throw it at the enemy.

Its because of this I have the realization that the only reason players prefer the MV is because its a.) easier to spawn the ships they want and b.) the ships they want are much more powerful.

If players really, really wanted important planets, they'd have them. History has shown otherwise.

So what do you think the effect would be like if all those resources sub-types were reintroduced as key elements in construction and shipbuilding?

Everytime you wanted to spawn a new ship (non gate-spawnable), you'd have to take into account the SY planet's res. Everytime one of your garaged ships got destroyed, respawning them would entail the same costs.

I think that combat would be a bit more scarce, since people might be afraid to lose their ships for fear of not being able to respawn. But the other activities like mining, building, transporting may rise in support of the economy needed to keep the war effort running.

There are many space MMOs (in fact, most) that are like that. Building and trading are in the forefront as much as combat.

The question is, what is the Dev team's vision for the game?

Good question. But I'm not one to speak about Darkspaces vision. I have my own, personal vision, yes. But the offical vision is not my part to play.

If it were me? I'd cut the amount of planets in the MV by half.

I'd reintroduce resources in that every planet has an upkeep, and mining and factories contribute to meeting that. Upkeep would be determined by the structures on the planet.

Different types of planets would make different types of resources. Like older days, you would need to have to capture several planets to get the resources you need. If the resource system were tweaked, you could have mines be the structures the generate resources, but factories would multiply the outright amount of resources the planet has, instead of the mining output. So you could have mining planets, that trade to factory planets, who trade to Shipyard planets. Barren -> Ice, Arid, Desert, Ocean -> Terran. The resource cap on planets now already lends to that mindset.

I'd make every ship spawn cost resources. Ships would become blueprints, and they would need to be constructed every time. Docking becomes decommisioning. I'd limit Shipyards to Terrans only. I'd make Depots available only on factory worlds. Interdictor bases would take an incredible amount of resources to build and maintain.

I could go on and on, but I doubt other people like such a game.

-Ent

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-05-10 01:53   
Quote:

On 2012-05-09 23:50, Talien wrote:
I'd totally be down with having mining, trading, and building more important because of resource types, but when you consider not every planet will have every resource type it starts to turn into a nightmare of a mess. If there's only 1 or 2 planets in a system that has a needed resource type you'd have to decide whether you want to only put a few mines/factories on it and add a lot of defenses, or load it up with mining structures and risk having to recapture it constantly.

Ah there, you see. You just described a scenario where planets meant something. You would fight tooth and nails to capture and defend it because you knew it has the resources that you need to build the ships that you need.

Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2012-05-10 02:20   
I have long been an advocate for important planets. It gives meaning to the combat in DS. I miss the old days were how much ground you gained or lost was a big deal.

Not only that, but I would have the planets be even harder to capture and also to take longer doing so. Wouldn't mind seeing the number of systems in Sag doubled while keeping the same amount of planets in Sag that we currently have also. In other words: more but smaller systems.

[ This Message was edited by: Silent Threat { Vier } on 2012-05-10 02:26 ]

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-10 04:01   
i liked how u needed factories to build lvl 10 weaps, but at the same time u felt u rlly cant hurt someone properly with standard weaps vs lvl 10 outfits. this will give a huge bonus to the factions that can maintain resource levels on a planet. but easy to screw with by just spawning as enemy and buying up all the weapon upgrades.

for any kind of implementation of extra fun, it seems we first need a code of honor, or a brilliant way to stop pathways of screwin around.

that requires time. i myself dont have a clue. maybe make fleets obligated, with a standard fleet where all players begin. u can only change fleets once a week/month, instead of join/leave fleet. then only way to screw around is with multiple accounts. why not allow multiple accounts, but limit em by saying u can only use one account per week. an ip-track built in the server can do that.

hmm ok i might have a small clue...well after these changes in formentioned paragraph, we can implement economy changes. extra complexity does sound fun. depends on the general age of players this game aims at.

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-05-10 07:55   
Unfortunately, the problem with 'important planets' is that with the current playerbase, there are usually times when nobody is on to defend them, which makes speed-capping easy(take ICC atm, we would have been fine if the server hadn't been reset, taking most of the huge defenses with it).

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-05-10 13:40   
Quote:
On 2012-05-10 00:27, Enterprise wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 23:27, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
So what do you think the effect would be like if all those resources sub-types were reintroduced as key elements in construction and shipbuilding?

I think that combat would be a bit more scarce, since people might be afraid to lose their ships for fear of not being able to respawn. But the other activities like mining, building, transporting may rise in support of the economy needed to keep the war effort running.

If it were me? I'd cut the amount of planets in the MV by half.

Different types of planets would make different types of resources. Like older days, you would need to have to capture several planets to get the resources you need. If the resource system were tweaked, you could have mines be the structures the generate resources, but factories would multiply the outright amount of resources the planet has, instead of the mining output. So you could have mining planets, that trade to factory planets, who trade to Shipyard planets. Barren -> Ice, Arid, Desert, Ocean -> Terran. The resource cap on planets now already lends to that mindset.

I'd make every ship spawn cost resources. Ships would become blueprints, and they would need to be constructed every time. Docking becomes decommisioning. I'd limit Shipyards to Terrans only. I'd make Depots available only on factory worlds. Interdictor bases would take an incredible amount of resources to build and maintain.

I could go on and on, but I doubt other people like such a game.

I dreamed a dream. In that dream, I found your vision very close to mine.
Not long ago, as I stated the game, in 1.5x specific ships come out from certain planet type: terran - station, arid - dread, etc... then the ship-cost-per-build appeared and that feature no longer existed. Somehow it's a loss of pleasure in the game, because when you have to fight for a certain planet, you set a goal and you're definitely happy when the goal is archived.

I believe that some structures/ships should only available due to planet's types or resource sub-types in order to bring joy to game. And I agree with Ent that the number of planet should be cut down by half. Planets is not precious when there are more planets than players in a system!

Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-05-31 09:28   
It would be nice if certain planets would be crucial and worth fighting about, but on the other hand it would skip the ballance of power once a faction denys acces to important recources the weaker faction will stay weak not being able to spawn capital ships etc etc.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2012-05-31 11:34   
nice debate. i all down for more rts style of DS. but its true that wouldnt be ok with current playerbase.

might i suggest make another server where there would be 3 uncappable planets with sy and all who hunger for spawn-fire-kill-die-repeat could go knock themselfs out in there. but still...playerbase. if there were more players, then yes, this would be excelent idea that would be a sin to ignore.

do we have tutorial program? i head something about it, but im not sure.
anyway in order to achive this awsoem style of play we need more player. for that we need good advertisment wich is not really that big of a problem, but keeping the players is.... so perhaps a good tutorial program, that will help new players to learn the basics and gain some initial press ya know...to pull them in.
drifted a bit off topic...but i hope ye get my point

Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-06-03 19:02   
1 question: if they do implament some form of ip tracking, what about ppl that share a single external ip number......???? sorry if this is too far off topic........

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking
R.I.P. sean connery
R.I.P. adam west

Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.026511 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR