Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Gunships
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Gunships
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-03 22:59   
Gunships.
Pros:
They have excellent energy economy, being able to fire non-stop at full speed.
The cannons have a good range and hit smaller targets up close.
Its cannons are well rounded, so it can hit a target constantly.
They can effectively target 2 or more ships to utilize all available cannons.

Cons:
The damage output tends to really suck.
They tend to have mediocre laser arrays, so are vulnerable to missiles.
Their range advantage is difficult to maintain against enemies that can cloak and match speed, or who are able to repeatedly jump into close range.

So my question is, what the hell are gunships good for? They just seem all-around lousy. The downsides seem to outweigh the benefits, and it's fairly easy to stay out of their mid range sweet spot, and into a range at which you can easily dodge, or up close to a range where you can do more damage than they can muster.

How often do you see players using Battle Cruisers, Shells, Gunship Destroyers, Battle Dreads, and so on as opposed to direct close-range assault ships?

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-03 23:15   
Quote:

On 2012-06-03 22:59, Fluttershy wrote:
Gunships.
Pros:
They have excellent energy economy, being able to fire non-stop at full speed.
The cannons have a good range and hit smaller targets up close.
Its cannons are well rounded, so it can hit a target constantly.
They can effectively target 2 or more ships to utilize all available cannons.

Cons:
Their range advantage is difficult to maintain against enemies that can cloak and match speed, or who are able to repeatedly jump into close range.

So my question is, what the hell are gunships good for? They just seem all-around lousy. The downsides seem to outweigh the benefits, and it's fairly easy to stay out of their mid range sweet spot, and into a range at which you can easily dodge, or up close to a range where you can do more damage than they can muster.

How often do you see players using Battle Cruisers, Shells, Gunship Destroyers, Battle Dreads, and so on as opposed to direct close-range assault ships?

As icc i have often killed close range ships that are attacking planets or even at there planets also there brilliant vs luth dreads icc CD can kill a luth station with ease... then again your playing luth so for you they are pritty useless kinda like barbwire toilet paper..
[ This Message was edited by: RogueAvenger[CMD] on 2012-06-03 23:33 ]

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-03 23:21   
I'm not QQing, rather, I would like to hear how you and many other players who have more experience manage to utilize gunships to their full potential.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-03 23:31 ]

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-03 23:29   
Quote:

On 2012-06-03 23:21, Fluttershy wrote:
I'm not QQing, rather, I would like to hear how you and many other players who have more experience manage utilize gunships to their full potential.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-03 23:21 ]

i never said you was i was mearly stating there usefullness in response to your queston.

there more a ship you want to roll when you have a support station around as there weak vs close range ships but with a SS they can beat close range ships up close with the supply of the station also dont forget you have a jd also so when your enemy jumps you no doubt your jd is ready [or close to being] jump 1k-1.2k out and start to attack them they then cannot escape if your luck you'll kill them before they can escape.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-03 23:37   
Short jumping seems to be a risky maneuver, it can bring you out of a safe area (such as close to an SS, near platforms, or a planet) and out where you're away from allied support and vulnerable with a discharged jump drive.

When doing this, the enemy can very easily take advantage of your decision and jump right on top of you.
It's like jumping your EAD onto a ganglia and then having 3-4 others uncloak and bombard you.

Jumping through an allied dictor is usually the best action as far as i know, but it's usually going to be planetary since it's unrewarding for a player to fly one.

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-03 23:43   
Quote:

On 2012-06-03 23:37, Fluttershy wrote:
Short jumping seems to be a risky maneuver, it can bring you out of a safe area (such as close to an SS, near platforms, or a planet) and out where you're away from allied support and vulnerable with a discharged jump drive.

When doing this, the enemy can very easily take advantage of your decision and jump right on top of you.
It's like jumping your EAD onto a ganglia and then having 3-4 others uncloak and bombard you.

Jumping through an allied dictor is usually the best action as far as i know, but it's usually going to be planetary since it's unrewarding for a player to fly one.

you miss-read in a 1v1 situation or even big battle when 1 enemy point jumps you you then short jump and attack them they cant then jump you again for a while now in a 1v1 this is perfect in a bigger fight its a 50/50 you might be jumped by other ship's chance's are though the'll be more focused on your stations or close range ships leaving you to get into a perfect flanking possition

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-04 00:08   
gunship beats assault ship.

Dont beleive me? Raise your hand if you have seen ftl boarder cruisers in action

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-04 02:45   
Assault ships have greater raw damage output, but using them to their full potential will drain their energy fast--they don't have very good staying power. A smart pilot will ration his energy use, but this limits his firepower.

Gunships, on the other hand, have superb energy economy. They'll be able to continue fighting long after an assault ship would've exhausted its energy reserves, and they'll be able to do so against more distant targets as well.

Each type of ship has its advantages. Personally, I tend to fly Assault ships when fighting K'luth (with their ability to decloak-attack-and-cloak, you really *need* to be able to do a lot of damage in a short time), but gunships against UGTO (don't have to worry about them disappearing on you).

Email Jim Starluck
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-04 05:55   
quite frankly, if you dont understand what gunships are good for, that means you didnt spend enough time in one while ranking up. This means, most likely, that you joined during the "pres buffet" that was happening a while back. We said then that it would ruin that crop of pilots from understanding the game correctly, and to me, this is validation of that opinion.

Gunships are good for standoff fighting, and working as a wing to an assault ship. The latter is seldom seen anymore, but it is still a valid use nonetheless.

Personally, I like gunships when I am alone or with low numbers vs higher numbers, because of the speed, manuverability, and annoyance factor.

Ignore a gunboat and see what happens. It takes a little time to get to hull, sure, but if you work with others or even ai, and fight in a pack, they can have the ability to frustrate an enemy, and outright kill him if he gets complacent.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-04 06:10   
Quote:

On 2012-06-03 22:59, Fluttershy wrote:
Gunships.

Cons:

This is really an opinion. Sucks in relation to what? I dont get in one expecting to do dread damage therefore I dont think the damage sucks at all.

Quote:

The ICC can still use pulse beams. The other two factions dont have them, of course, but that is where the speed and manuverability comes in. Duck and weave, pd kills some the first pass, they kill rest as the warheads circle back. I do this all the time.

Quote:

Yeah, so is every other ship to a point. The gunship is less vulnerable to this than a dread is, more so than a frigate is. That is simple game design. A dread who point jumps you can be out sped and outjumped because you are faster and recharge faster than a dread does. If the enemy has a cloak, so what? Cloaked ships cant hurt anyone, and while he is cloaked you are recharging jd and not taking damage from him. This seems win to me, I dont see where there is a problem. He uncloaks, and deals more damage than I can handle, then use the jump. Cant jump yet? well, die. It happens. At least it isnt 500 pres out the window, right?

Quote:

On UGTO I have two combat ships. Ironically, a gunship and a battle dread. The others are an engy, a tranny, and a bomber. I flew krill and gunboat dessie on Kluth as well, but the only enhanced combat ship I have in the garage atm for luth is my beam siphon.

By the way, I bet every player in the top 25 are adept at using virtually every ship in their armada. Wolf always made a point of training so that were adept at all ships in ALL 3 FACTIONS. They all have a use and a counter.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-04 07:05   
Gunships are by far the best ships in my opinion. They're well rounded, have excellent range, accuracy, and energy requirements. And their damage doesn't suck at all personally, considering how much potential you have per shot.

Its much, much harder to truly waste a cannon shot per energy, rather than say a torpedo or a missile.

In a capable person's hands, a gunship is extremely deadly and much more survivable than its assault counterparts, and the longer you are able to stay alive in a battle using cannons, you can far outdamage what an assault ship is capable of doing.

-Ent

Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-06-04 07:17   
I used a combat desie to hull bladerunner in his EAD once. If you know how to fly them gunships are pretty much the best in the game IMO, especially if you have 4 or 5 of them

Alzek15
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-04 07:55   
I remember when i was in my carrier dread and kratas and hada uncloaked behind me. I was tough enough(no really good enh) to turn around and broadside(cuz thats where most of my guns are) them to pieces, hada died and kratas was trashed. So for those who think 1-2 mandis can destroy a little gunboat carrier i have one thing to say, come at me bro.

Email Alzek15
The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-04 08:24   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg3Eby8fPt8&list=PL88B750C33BA606D6&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 06:10, Azreal wrote:

By the way, I bet every player in the top 25 are adept at using virtually every ship in their armada.

Enterprise is 26th ='P
[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2012-06-04 08:25 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-04 08:27   
Gunships seem fine when the game is just ICC vs UGTO, since they can always see the enemy, but when K'Luth are as common as they have been, it just feels like they lack the capability to deal with an enemy that can cloak and attack and do a great deal of damage from short range.

They lack that sheer firepower that EADs can use to discourage a direct offensive action from the k'luth.

Another consideration is just how powerful QSTs are.
Compared to the 7 cannons and 1QST that a battle dread can fire, how much damage can the 4 QSTs on a EAD do in comparison?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026237 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR