No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Radical New Idea To Better DarkSpace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Radical New Idea To Better DarkSpace
Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-06-06 13:16   
Use a DarkSpace banner with a link to click, if that is legal.
Use this banner for every account and every Forum,Chatroom, Blog etc.

Make fancy DarKspace Grafittys with the Darkspace internet address in your hometown, everywhere. Dont worry its legal.

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-06 14:01   
If we were to just smack a big poster in say a forum signature, advertising DarkSpace, on another forum people would think it's a cheap game as it can't get "good" advertising. Basically, people don't like advertise signatures and/or banners on their forums. Plus, the admins of that forum would probably ban if they see such advertising.

If people have time, perhaps they could write amateur reviews of the game on such forums instead of just sticking a big banner on their signatures and linking the site. I actually wrote such a review on a small forum once, and people didn't actually take it seriously.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-06 16:15   
Darkspace has always attracked strange people, most people will find the learning curve to steep even though their first impression is that it all looks to simple...It takes time to appreciate some parts of the game.

For me when i first started i got shot a lot, i didnt understand anything, but i found it funny to buzz around and see dreads talk in /y with taunts. Biggest reason i didnt quit was the help from other members. The willingness to teach a new player some tricks, then test it out first chance an enemy comes in.

I think ads and posters are capable of attracting new people, but helpfulness will make em stay. People asking for a reward system like tutorship: the reward is a new player that fights well and talks to you

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2012-06-06 16:38   
Yeah we all have to do our part to make any newbies feel welcome.

Don't scream at them or call them n00bs just because they did something newbish. Talk to them. Tell them the better way to do what they are doing or why what they are doing is a bad idea. Make them feel free to ask questions without being laughed at or anything.

How many of us have stayed around because we have made friends here? Most likely a good bit of us.

When trying to recruit new people, tell them why you enjoy the game. Also that even tho the game is old, it is constantly being worked on and updated.

And finally, one of my most favorite recruiting arguements is: Because the playerbase is not real big, that means that every ship and person playing is important. What you do WILL affect the game. It's not like a MMO with thousands of people playing it where you are a speck in the system and nothing more.

Abbot
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-06-06 20:07   
Would love to be able to fix the game but i dont have the knowledge and obviously niether does anyone else including the devs and mods otherwise we would not be in this situation.
We need full time devs not part time and if that means paying for it then so be it

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-09 01:42   
Let's not let this topic sink into oblivion and be forgotten, shall we?

Anyway, the devs are busy enough. We, the players who want this community to grow, should just get out there and spread the word. Perhaps we could make some sort of "Bettle Royal Livestream" when everyone has time? But for that to work, a good sepectator mode would be needed. Perhaps some sort of overhead view. But, for this to be a "Battle Royal" we would need a lot of people. The site we livestream on would matter as well, most of these livestream sites are so massively used, the livestream would and up the same as the youtube videos, unnoticed.

Abbot
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2012-06-09 05:44   
Sorry but that would never happen although big events have taken place in the past. We just dont have the players now.
As far as 'the devs are already busy' - well thats my point exactly, we need full time dedicated devs and not people that just work on this in their spare time.
By the way i do appreciate what work the devs do put in i just think it should be a full time job for any game to be successful

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-09 07:06   
On 2012-06-06 04:54, HeadHunter111 wrote:
Also, I have offered this game to a couple of friends interested in space shooters and such, and they all said the same thing: "The graphics seem a bit... old..". then when I try to give them the excuse that it's an 11 year old game, they said they don't wanna try it.[/quote]
Graphics is vital to the first impression, yes. It makes them want to try the game.
But what keeps them play the game is the game mechanics - which DS has a lot to improve.

Look on armorgames, there are many top popular whose graphics are poor, such as World Domination series. But thanks to its addictive mechanics, it's been running for multiple versions with that ugly visual!

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-09 07:50   
I get so mad when people don't even give the game a try because of graphics

Come on, really? This game already has nice graphics, and anything more than we have currently would just be fluff.

I think, though, we *could* use a more intuitive HUD.
Some of you like the simplicity of it, however, having it better displayed would help a lot for some people.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-10 11:41   
It'd be nice to see improvements to DarkSpace graphically, but those aren't possible for players. This thread is focused around what we, as players, can do to promote DarkSpace.

I submitted a screenshot to Massively once which gave some publicity, but it's hard to represent DarkSpace itself with just that. I'm mostly hoping we can breathe some fresh life into this game before it, well, goes the way of the Dodo.

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 12:59   
Alright guys, I offered this game to a friend a couple of minutes ago and he said it looked boring. I asked Why, he said that
"The interface doesn't look that good... seems boring."
"I looked at the site. It looks kinda boring..."

That is what he said. I tend to agree a little about the interface and site. They do look a little too.. 2004.
Anyway, this topic is about how we, the players, can help the community expand as was pointed out in the previous post. So, let's keep those ideas coming, shall we..

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2012-06-10 13:00   
First off yes the graphics compared to other games does come as a negative hit for new players. However the thing we need to express to new players is that;

1) The playbase is smaller and allows for more help in learning the game
2) Smaller playerbase = Better bonds between players and more common respect for one another
3) Sandbox effect. What you do REALLY impacts the game. We have a smaller player base unlike EvE etc which has millions. So here the impact is massive unlike a flea bite in other games.

We need to advertise the PLAYERBASE, not fluff up the graphics etc. The graphics are fine and makes the game run smoother. All that fluff can lead to instabillity issues that other MMO's sometimes face. We have a large variety of ships to fly, and a dev team that interacts with the players and constantly takes player feedback respectfully. These are what make Darkspace a good game to play.

Just my .02 cents worth.

-Duo

Email UnknownWarrior
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 15:46   
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 12:59, HeadHunter111 wrote:
Alright guys, I offered this game to a friend a couple of minutes ago and he said it looked boring. I asked Why, he said that

can you ask him for more specifics? What exactly looks boring to him?

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 16:11   
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 15:46, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 12:59, HeadHunter111 wrote:

can you ask him for more specifics? What exactly looks boring to him?

Actually, I did in fact try to ask him. He seemed AFK and after 10 minutes logged off.
I am part of other online communities, and I oftenly ask people "Why do you think it's boring". Most of them say the interface looks older than the game graphics. They say it just looks plain and boring.

I think that people have become addicted to flashy menus and good looking interfaces that they immediately think that a game that has such a plain interface must be boring. I did try to argue with them, but hey it's their opinion.

I think the interface is fine. It gives the game that feeling of it being tactical. A true MMORTS.

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 20:16   
what if Fautus or Pantheon makes a Facebook page maybe an AD on facebook and the way we all can pitch in is post on all the forums that any of us we are active on and if any of us know people who can get the games name out more than just forums talk to them
i try to do what i can just as much as the next guy but we need more

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027345 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR