Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What's the point of the MI?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author What's the point of the MI?
Don Karnage
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 08:04   
I've only seen these ships in action a few times, but the few encounters I did have were extremely irritating (if anyone even cares...)

I hate to complain, but;

Firstly, they have deceptively thin armor. I look at a cruiser and I could have sworn it had no more than 3 rings of armor. But it seems their armor has an incredibly strong resistance to damage, or it just regenerates very well, because I shot one for several minutes and never did get into the hull, eventually it crashed into a planet I was circling around.

Secondly, that planet murdering death beam.
What is the point of this? These Longheads and Legions jump as far in as Paul, making their rounds pummeling every shipyard in the MV.

I've tried to stop them, but they're too tough, they just jump in, kill the planet, and fly in circles I'd expect from a scout while murdering every frigate, destroyer, cruiser, and transport on the scene..

EDIT:
Also, the other day, when we had a combat destroyer, heavy cruiser, combat dreadnought, and an assault dreadnought in orbit of an interdictored planet, a legion jumps in and NUKES the entire population before we even got their frontal armor down.
This of course made the interdictor and defenses shut down and gave the K'luth free reign into and out of the area around the planet we were trying to defend
[ This Message was edited by: Don Karnage on 2012-06-08 08:16 ]

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-08 08:50   
The MI are mostly a PvE race... the majority are found in Procyon but they have one uncapturable planet in Borealis. Their Ships are faster, have very good armour, semi-guided torpedoes that can shoot 2ks away and the infamous planet killing beam.
The regeneration is fast because they have K'luth auto repair systems and some of the ships have the cloak (thankfully they don't cloak smartly). By the way if you see a stat that looks like an enormous golf ball... run.
Typically it takes a couple of ships and/or very good pilots to take Longheads and Nodes down.

EDIT: the number one thing for a smaller ship vs MI is stay out of beam range at all costs (this can apply to most small ship vs larger ship fights) and dodge the torps. They fly quickly, but don't turn that well.
Edit of the edit: making the AI ram planets is a popular tactic, and very effective for MI.
[ This Message was edited by: Loyalty *TO* on 2012-06-08 08:55 ]

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 09:21   
The problem with the MI is that they have a very very poor payoff for the grief and difficulty.

The MI are difficult, but in a way that is just plain irritating.

You can bring an entire fleet of support stations and EADs, but even then, there is no reward for it, you don't get better enhancement drops, and you don't get any extra prestige over other AI.

Just think of the MI as guardians of the fun, Sentries that run around and gather up the last remaining scraps of fun in DarkSpace by making your experience as annoying as mechanically possible (because they're machines, right?) and hoarding it all in Procyon where there's 3 nodes ready to jump you with their 20 heavy chemical laser death beam if you even dare to try and retrieve it for the betterment of all.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-08 09:27 ]

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-08 11:40   
Quote:

On 2012-06-08 09:21, Fluttershy wrote:
The problem with the MI is that they have a very very poor payoff for the grief and difficulty.

The MI are difficult, but in a way that is just plain irritating.

You can bring an entire fleet of support stations and EADs, but even then, there is no reward for it, you don't get better enhancement drops, and you don't get any extra prestige over other AI.

Just think of the MI as guardians of the fun, Sentries that run around and gather up the last remaining scraps of fun in DarkSpace by making your experience as annoying as mechanically possible (because they're machines, right?) and hoarding it all in Procyon where there's 3 nodes ready to jump you with their 20 heavy chemical laser death beam if you even dare to try and retrieve it for the betterment of all.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-08 09:27 ]

For once, I actually agree with Fluttershy.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 12:09   
Quote:

On 2012-06-08 08:04, Don Karnage wrote:
I've only seen these ships in action a few times, but the few encounters I did have were extremely irritating (if anyone even cares...)

I hate to complain, but;

Firstly, they have deceptively thin armor. I look at a cruiser and I could have sworn it had no more than 3 rings of armor. But it seems their armor has an incredibly strong resistance to damage, or it just regenerates very well, because I shot one for several minutes and never did get into the hull, eventually it crashed into a planet I was circling around.

number of rings dont say anything about their armor-strength
mi-ships have tons of armor (and/or high resists) because some time ago players farmed them for easy pres, and some said theyre too weak so they all recieved a huge buff
befire the buff, proc was usually under luthcontrol and mis rarely made it into planets orbits before they were shot

Quote:

Secondly, that planet murdering death beam.
What is the point of this? These Longheads and Legions jump as far in as Paul, making their rounds pummeling every shipyard in the MV.

same reason like their armor buff... mis were too easy so they got a new tool of mass destruction

btw, their normal lasers dont do that much damage... they have jutst a sick amount of them... some time ago i counted the beams on a capped node... was something around 12 or 16 i think

best way to fight a mi who isnt slowboasting to nuke a planet: get behind them, get close and try to get them between you and a planet...
havent fought them a while, but last time they try to turn to attack you and most likely they just plow directly into said planet

mis nukeing a planet dont react to anything afaik

oh, and when a longhead heading your way, start dodging... their 2500gu-torps hurt

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-08 12:39   
Grab a transport and keep unloading troops on them until they cap. That's the most effective way to deal with a Longhead that's slowboating it's way to a planet.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-06-08 13:55   
I hear your complaints... I will see if I can make them a bit more rewarding to fight.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
No other option
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 14:39   
http://darkspace.uservoice.com/forums/154971-general/suggestions/2807750-get-rid-of-the-longheads-all-mi-in-sag

It is their shipyard killing that annoys me the most.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-08 14:43   
Quote:

On 2012-06-08 13:55, Faustus wrote:
I hear your complaints... I will see if I can make them a bit more rewarding to fight.

-F

Thanks a lot

Can you stop the SY-killing too? I don't want them to be a pres farm, just not as annoying.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-08 14:49   
The players say MI is tough in an irritating way (fast regenration, death beam, extreme maneuver); they don't say the rewarding from killing MI is bad.

Why do people keep killing MI? You guys should capture and exploit its death beam.

No other option
Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 15:09   
Quote:

On 2012-06-08 14:49, chlorophyll wrote:
The players say MI is tough in an irritating way (fast regenration, death beam, extreme maneuver); they don't say the rewarding from killing MI is bad.

Why do people keep killing MI? You guys should capture and exploit its death beam.

People kill the Longheads hoping that it will not get to the shipyards once again. Capturing them takes too long and is not certain and they come way too often to try to cap every one of them.

We play this game to fight against other people, not to stand an often unsuccessful guard over our shipyard planets against AI that will come again and again and again...

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-08 17:28   
sy deathbeam does make it rather difficult to capture proc.

Why not random planets. Instead of only sy ones

Lol. Indeed more reward for fighting the buggers would make things better.

seyyah
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-08 17:44   
just be happy that they don't entirely glass planets... wait... actually full glassing also had good points....
but its a good thing to find an enemy AI at dead hours of DS to keep you company....

former Roukanken

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-08 18:40   
Flat out glassing planets would be better than just killing the population. At least that way they can be rebuilt into something worthwhile without having to lose pres from scrapping.

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-06-09 00:38   
The MI are fine except in there home system. Went there with 5 hives and a colony and had to retreat because of 40 mi frigates. frigits aren't hard to beat but 40 and then 2 Lh show up and bring there lil node buddy with them. was fun but eventualy we had to with draw without capping anything. would like to see fighting Mi lil more rewarding though.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024150 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR