Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Reactives, Actives, and shield transfer.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Reactives, Actives, and shield transfer.
Don Karnage
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 12:43   
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but please only do so if you really actually know, ie, having access to the game code.

As of version 1.673 (Release)
Please state if the following are true or false:

[] Reactives resist damage to everything but EMP.
[] Reactives repair faster than Actives.
[] Reactives have slightly less than half the HP of Actives.
[] When transfering shields, it does so by raw HP, and not percentage.

I bring this up because it has been said many times that putting reactives on the outside of a border cruiser is a deadly mistake.
Players have said that when transfering power, it does so by the percentage, and not the raw HP from one gadget to another.

However, unless I'm wrong, putting reactives on the outside should be the better choice, because then the improved damage resistance will come into play, while the inner actives can feed them more HP.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 15:52   
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 12:43, Don Karnage wrote:
As of version 1.673 (Release)

Release version is vastly different then beta version right now, but I can answer these
Quote:

[] Reactives resist damage to everything but EMP.

Yes.

Quote:

[] Reactives repair faster than Actives.

Yes

Quote:

[] Reactives have slightly less than half the HP of Actives.

This is a loaded question. Reactives, in release, have half the raw hp of active shields. They do, however, have a 80% damage rating against all weapons except EMP (which do 120%). However, the effective health of a reactive shield is EXTREMELY less then an active shield. You can view a graph of this here...obviously the larger numbers are for active shields

Quote:

[] When transfering shields, it does so by raw HP, and not percentage.

Correct.

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2012-06-10 15:54 ]

Don Karnage
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 19:57   
If all of this is true, then it IS better to put reactive shields on the outside.

If you assign a number to your inner and outer shield layers, you can push or pull shields to the inner or outer array.

So because the reactive shields have better resistances overall, and because active shields have more raw HP to better withstand a powerful attack, it would then be better to use reactive shields on the outside.

Actually, using all reactives might be just as well, because between your 50% higher rate of repair, and taking 20% less hp damage, these shields should really shine in extended situations where you can avoid taking any significant blows.

(Note that all of this will be obsolete once the new defence changes are implemented. In that case, it may end up being better to put skirmish shields inside active shields, depending on the situation.)
[ This Message was edited by: Don Karnage on 2012-06-10 20:00 ]

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-10 20:04   
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 19:57, Don Karnage wrote:
If all of this is true, then it IS better to put reactive shields on the outside.

If you assign a number to your inner and outer shield layers, you can push or pull shields to the inner or outer array.

So because the reactive shields have better resistances overall, and because active shields have more raw HP to better withstand a powerful attack, it would then be better to use reactive shields on the outside.

Actually, using all reactives might be just as well, because between your 50% higher rate of repair, and taking 20% less hp damage, these shields should really shine in extended situations where you can avoid taking any significant blows.

(Note that all of this will be obsolete once the new defence changes are implemented. In that case, it may end up being better to put skirmish shields inside active shields, depending on the situation.)
[ This Message was edited by: Don Karnage on 2012-06-10 20:00 ]

the reason why you put reactives on the inside is because of its regen. so basically while your actives are taking damage you route the reactives to the actives and boost there HP back to full and while u do this ur reactives are quickly regening to repeat the process
after the update the Border will probably use the Skirmish on the inside beccause of tis raw regen power

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-06-10 23:38   
shh, dont let the "veteran" border cruiser pilots know the better way to use border cruisers...

while some players deduced that actives over reactives is a good combo, other players like the =Wolf= squadron (when they were ICC) practiced use of reactives over actives.

wonder how many people will NOT be using auxilliary shield generators when they are beefcaked... same with chitin.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-10 23:54   
I very much doubt you will see anyone using aux shields outside of maybe trying them once or twice. Being limited to one arc and not being able to choose which arc they cover means they're still a bad choice, even if they have been buffed considerably.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-06-11 02:07   
having decent to good regeneration and no weaknesses, i expect many icc players to use it. absence of energy drain only makes it better i believe.

and whats the problem with them not covering a desired arc? its not like that icc ships have any arcs without some form of shields.

one can always shunt power to the rear shields in assault and strike cruisers.

Botji
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-11 06:32   
Depending on how the energy will be in next release... as it is now a border cruiser cant go full speed and fire without draining energy wich if im not mistaken has a few aux gens, if you remove those I think the energy drain would be a killer.

Borders should stay away from close combat right? without speed you cant keep range and without energy you cant use speed :/

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-11 07:32   
ICC is not complicated at all.

Nope.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-11 08:54   
All of this could probably be avoided if border cruisers were given 4 heavy shield variants that have twice the stats of regular shields.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-11 08:54 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-06-11 10:01   
already takes an armada to kill my bc.

You want to make it stronger?

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-11 11:19   
Quote:

On 2012-06-11 08:54, Fluttershy wrote:
All of this could probably be avoided if border cruisers were given 4 heavy shield variants that have twice the stats of regular shields.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-11 08:54 ]

why is that. thats a horrible idea(for the BC) i might like that idea though having a heavy shield. but 90% of the time the Shields are OFF to give a negative sig

GunsOfHonor
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-11 11:19   
Quote:

On 2012-06-11 10:01, Defiance*CO* wrote:
already takes an armada to kill my bc.

You want to make it stronger?

Oorah

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-11 14:44   
It wouldn't make it stronger you derps.

What I'm saying is you give the Border Cruiser 4 shield gadgets, and no armor.

That's 4 shields instead of 8.

The thing is, those 4 shields are twice as good as normal shields, so it would be exactly the same as 8 shields, except for the inside/outside semi-exploit.

I'm fine with the way it is now, though. The added complexity makes it more interesting

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-11 14:45 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-11 14:48   
Quote:

On 2012-06-11 02:07, Brahmastra wrote:
having decent to good regeneration and no weaknesses, i expect many icc players to use it. absence of energy drain only makes it better i believe.

and whats the problem with them not covering a desired arc? its not like that icc ships have any arcs without some form of shields.

one can always shunt power to the rear shields in assault and strike cruisers.

Because you're giving up an aux reactor for it, that's the reason they don't use power like actual shields. Again, if they were full arc they might be worth using, but having an extra shield on a random arc to keep an eye on and manage isn't something I'd expect a lot of people to want to bother with.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023368 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR