No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Grouping being used to grief newbies
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Grouping being used to grief newbies
[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-19 19:36   
Quote:

On 2012-06-19 18:58, Persistance wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-06-19 18:26, Doran wrote:
clearly its unreasonable to think that the people who DO know better would perhaps pass along that bit of information to the people who dont.

god forbid you self-named vets encourage newbies rather than discourage them, educate them rather than decimate them. nobody to fight in the metaverse and AI are just annoying? well hey, thanks for contributing to a newbie-friendly environment.

you, the collective community and/or player base, are a very big part of the reason why darkspace is in the shape it's in today. and you can take that any way you like.

This. So much.

There is something very interesting you can give to newbies who are doing newbie things. It's called advice. Most newbies usually really want to learn.

2nded i agree totaly ive seen so many newbies that have asked a simple qwuestion and got back "PAHAAHAHAHAHA NOOB GTFO" personaly i allways try to help new players and answer questions and or give advice even if it is not asked for some times people might not knoe or want to ask is it so hard to be nice to new players? often the'll listen and save your ass later on when u ask for help.

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-06-19 20:52   
Quote:

On 2012-06-19 19:36, [UWS]RogueAvenger[CMD] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-06-19 18:58, Persistance wrote:
Quote:

clearly its unreasonable to think that the people who DO know better would perhaps pass along that bit of information to the people who dont.

god forbid you self-named vets encourage newbies rather than discourage them, educate them rather than decimate them. nobody to fight in the metaverse and AI are just annoying? well hey, thanks for contributing to a newbie-friendly environment.

you, the collective community and/or player base, are a very big part of the reason why darkspace is in the shape it's in today. and you can take that any way you like.

This. So much.

There is something very interesting you can give to newbies who are doing newbie things. It's called advice. Most newbies usually really want to learn.

2nded i agree totaly ive seen so many newbies that have asked a simple qwuestion and got back "PAHAAHAHAHAHA NOOB GTFO" personaly i allways try to help new players and answer questions and or give advice even if it is not asked for some times people might not knoe or want to ask is it so hard to be nice to new players? often the'll listen and save your ass later on when u ask for help.

Report that kind of behaviour. People pushing away potential customers, gamers, and possible friends isn't something we look kindly upon.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-19 20:58   
Quote:

I do explain why grouping is bad if a new player tries to invite me to a group or asks if there's any groups that can invite them, unless I'm overly busy. Even then I'll at least tell them groups are a bad idea until they learn more about the game.

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-19 21:56   
You should include how people are treated in the lobby, or anyware.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-06-19 23:01   
To anyone thinking this is just me QQing, it's not.

As I've said before I learned the hard way that grouping is very risky.

When I first started I was under the same assumption that grouping was nothing but a beneficial thing.

That is over and done with for me, I'm never grouping again.
But the problem still remains. Many MANY times I have seen a newbie get demoted because of the actions of another player.

I end up hearing that newbie complaining later on, or never seeing them again.

Think about the children! XD

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2012-06-20 03:20   
expecting people to behave is...like waiting for a rainbow growing out of flutters arse possible, but unlikely. nothing personal flutter, its just nice associaction. still here's a different view at things.
first the problem: newbs getting demoted, gettin blown up, overkilled. its not just about group demoting. i once killed 2 guys...a bit too often..and then they finnaly figure out how to tell me they are newbs. i felt really bad. sure i can go /who every one, but personaly...typing in /who thissuperwherdishgklushkingw007er names sometimes get bit too much i would do.
solution: making the newbies marked somehow... until they reach 10hours of gameplay or something (this is just number for example) they are registered and newbies, seen in their name or in lower right corner in ship detail when targeted.
or maybe rank show in there, could be another alternative.
killing newb doesnt give any press to non-newber.

that covers killing them. more easly reckognizable, therefore good people of DS can help easly. greet newbs right away and help them. i would be glad to help, as many other i've seen, but im not going to /who evey player who gets in mv.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-06-20 05:57   

Most ppl kill for stats (pres or killcount) and not for griefing. If you make it pointless to kill newbs, perhaps they won't be specifically targeted.

I've got a couple of ideas.

1) Make killing anyone below your rank level by a set value mean nothing. No pres, and no increase in kill count.

If that is even achievable of course.

Eg: Marshal won't get any stats for killing anyone below Captain rank.
Chief Marshal won't get any stats for killing Admirals and below.

2) Or you can simply tier the ranks.

Tier 1 = Capt and below
Tier 2 = Admirals and above.

Tier 1 gets pres and stats for all kills
Tier 2 ranks don't get stats for killing Tier 1 ranks.

Of course this won't stop those who kill just to grief. But it will remove one motivation for killing noobs.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-20 07:09   
I would personally prefer any system where you must damage players at least two or three ranks below you to earn any credit at all.

The amount of prestige that low ranked players offer in the first place is neglible. You want to gain prestige? Remember that its a PvP game first, and that if you want more people to play you have to start skipping on the entitlement.

It won't mean a damn thing in world if you're Chief Marshal, if there isn't a single player to fight against.

Keep that in mind the next time you're flying a Dread, popping anything easy that comes your way.

-Ent

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-06-20 07:54   
I'm all for making the game more newbie friendly and having no pres/stat gains for killing them is one way of doing that.

Before anyone mentions it, it should stop at no gains. If we wander into the "killing noobs is EVIL" area and add a penalty for it you'll see people making alt accounts to grief higher rank people by attacking them until they're forced to kill the not-so-newbie, or even placing themselves in the way of someone's firing arc. Let's face it, I'm sure most of us can think of at least 1 or 2 people who would do that.

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2012-06-20 13:29   
Quote:

On 2012-06-19 11:45, Fluttershy wrote:
It still happens, either intentionally or not, and the shared prestige loss is apparently a good way to lessen how much you lose by making a poor newbie suffer half of it.

About to die? group a clueless newbie and get them demoted to midshipman.

You don't care, right? Who cares about newbies anyways. They're only the future of the game.

It's not like it takes 20 times longer for them to make as much prestige as you do or anything.

I'm sorry, I just get so burned up when I see a newbies rank plummet because they thought a group was entirely a good thing, and not having much telling them otherwise.

And you people grouping them so you can scrap a planet or self destruct your station, or generally fly like a complete idiot should be kicked squarely in the nut sack.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2012-06-19 11:48 ]

i dident bother reading your whole message or any of the replys this is just a rage

people dont group lowbies to cut down on there own press loss they group them to help them out i tell newbies to just sit back and let me do all the work and to keep an eye on my health once i'm below 50% drop me and if there not willing to take the chance they dont group up

nobody is that melicous quit your rage nobody is out to get the new guys its just an accident when it happens

again just a rage on your part

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2012-06-20 13:36   
and i scraped an entire planet before ugto could take it a week ago and the thout of grouping another icc just to cut back on my losses never crossed my mind

so there you go giveing people melicous ideas that they never had to begin with good show old boy

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-20 13:39   
I can see why people would want to make it so you dont get pres for killing lower ranks, but how is it fair that the lower ranks can just start killing the higher ranks, it is a safe pres gain for them, does anyone else see that?

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-20 13:49   
Quote:

On 2012-06-20 13:36, Aaron[+R] wrote:
and i scraped an entire planet before ugto could take it a week ago and the thout of grouping another icc just to cut back on my losses never crossed my mind

so there you go giveing people melicous ideas that they never had to begin with good show old boy

Aaron don't be so egotistical as to presume that just because something didn't occur to you, it wouldn't occur to anyone else. I am also not guilty of ever thinking about doing so, but I know that there are people who play this game that would not only do in on purpose, but also would enjoy watching the noobs rage, and possibly quit.

Also, even if this was accidental, I must admit that as a noob if this had happened to me and I lost all the work that I had been doing for weeks.... my prospects for continuing this game would have been slim, even though I love a good challenging game. Seeing as how most people are not like me... even as an accident this could happen often (noobs wouldn't know any better).. taking away all the fun of trying the grouping system, and of the entire game for that matter.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-20 13:53   
Quote:

On 2012-06-20 13:39, Nearmiss wrote:
I can see why people would want to make it so you dont get pres for killing lower ranks, but how is it fair that the lower ranks can just start killing the higher ranks, it is a safe pres gain for them, does anyone else see that?

Your point is valid, but do not forget that not only is swatting frigates and such out of the sky fun (yes, it is), but a vet left with a frigate that looses no pres for death would deal quite a lot more damage than you think they would, and they would be destroyed for that simple fact as well. This concept also applies to noobs, and indeed would make it far safer for them to engage higher ranked players... but unless frigates all of a sudden become capital ship (dread/stat) killers they couldn't do much harm anyway.

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2012-06-20 14:09   
I cant uses dreads or stats, so maybe we should not do a ungainable pres thing, maybe a reduced pres gain prepahs.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022998 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR