Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Besides combat, what else is fun in DS?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Besides combat, what else is fun in DS?
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-13 09:44   
Yep. That age ol' question.

I've been asking myself that since I started playing DS. Looking at my stats, you see ship kills and ship damage taking precedence over the other stats. (Them being there just for me to get the badges necessary to fly all the ships in-game)

Don't look at this as a gripe. I'm not one to whine abt the game. I enjoy it as it is. This is more of a discussion where we can throw out ideas on how to make the other aspects of the game more fun.

You see, the devs have been working so hard (And I sincerely thank them for their dedication) on game balance because some of you guys are always going on and on about how this is OP and how that is unfair and bla bla bla. And much of the work as been centered around combat.

But what about the other aspects of the game?
Building? Supping? Mining? etc?

Right now, all these other functions exist to support.... yep, combat.

I think that DS could be more than its current state if an economy system were introduced, or reintroduced, into the game.

Looking at this thread, ( http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=53088&forum=1&4 ) I surmised that there was some kinda in game economy somewhere back in the mid 2000s.

Also, looking at other space MMO games like Jumpgate, EVE, we can also see that combat is just one facet of the game, but obviously building, mining and others also make up other dominant aspects of gameplay.

The devs are introducing Fleet Levels. That sounds like fun. But can it be expanded such that Fleet can own planets or assets in space that have its own intrinsic value in game. We currently have credits, which we pay for in real cash to buy enhancements.

Perhaps we can have a second currency in the game that works as the game's economy so that fleets and factions can trade in assets? Let's just call it Bucks now, for lack of a better term.

Assets? Yes. Assets as in Installations, like platforms. Perhaps space stations too. No, not the current SS, BS and CS'es. But real immobile space borne installations that fleets can use as a HQ or base of operations. Or even spaceborne factories and spawn points.

Perhaps fleets can charge other faction-mates or even friendly fleets Bucks for services like repairs/resupp at plats or stations that they own.

Conversely, as a lone supply ship you could set up a deal to rep a stranded and damaged dreadnought for some Bucks.

You could also mine resources from planets and sell them to fleets who will need them for their building projects, but are too tied up or lazy to do the tedious mining activities? That could see mining and transporting come up with some use. Perhaps some fleets would even make that their main operations. To support the war effort, and earn Bucks at the same time.

Installations could be sold (ownership tranferred) to individuals or fleets for Bucks.

Now. Take all of those ideas and paint them into one giant portrait.

You have some fleets and individuals owning installations in space. They're probably the richer or more powerful ones. Then you have the fledging or growing fleets working their way up the ranks and wealth ladder, earning Bucks by supporting and providing services to these powerful fleets and individuals.

You now have a working economy per faction. And you have assets to defend, and combat now means something. But it isn't everything. There is now another aspect to the Metaverse. Power, assets, money, exchange of goods of services... Real trade.

Battles will be fought over not just planets, just for the sake of fighting, but to knock out or capture opposing factions' and fleets' assets out to remain at the top.

Combat isn't just for combat anymore. It might be for something bigger. The MV will never be the same again.

What are your ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2012-08-13 09:46 ]

Ray[OU]
Marshal

From: Some where in deep space, From another galaxy. [Origin Unknown]
Posted: 2012-08-13 11:27   
I like. But for those of us not in a fleet Will i still be able to earn "Buck's" To say build my self a space station out in the middle of now where for my self and charge other's if they wish to use it? (Hopefully you intended this thing to actually built by the player with an engineer requiring TON'S of resources(and maby a few Hour's) in which you must also buy the resources or Mine them). If so im all in on this.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-13 11:38   
Quote:

On 2012-08-13 11:27, SupremeCommander~Ray[OU] wrote:

(Hopefully you intended this thing to actually built by the player with an engineer requiring TON'S of resources(and maby a few Hour's) in which you must also buy the resources or Mine them). If so im all in on this.

Yeah. Something like that. These installations could be built in phases, stages or modules, and take an appreciable length of time, as well as substantial resources to build. Otherwise they wouldn't be so valuable.

This makes them worth Bucks, as well as time and effort to maintain and defend.

Code Red
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2012-08-13 11:40   
Hello Kenny ,

I remember a few years ago when the planet resources had more meaning within the game , some were rarer than others etc and they were used to build ships or modding parts of the ship , I remember on scenario for example Dark Matter was always a good resource to find on a planet. My memory being sketchy as it is I cant remember the specifics but it did mean that planet control / capture was very important as was mining / resource management.
I do miss this aspect of the game as it does expand the feeling of being in a game that consists of more than pew pew (even tho that is fun)

Code Red, For winning in the 1RA Fleet Wars event, here's your coupon for a week.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2012-08-13 11:41   
would require lot of time (and balancing) to implement and adjust into the game.

DS is definitely focused on the combat aspect of space warfare, with the bonus of providing basic interface with support roles (basic, as in no detail, protocol, or intricacy involved) by giving resource shuttling, building, planetary interaction, ship repairing etc.

then comes the problem with implementing an economy model into a game - you need specific ships for this (one or more) role. that would mean a lot more ships ingame.

taking UGTO for example, they have 2 scouts, 3 frigates, 4 destroyers, 3 cruisers, 4 dreadnoughts and 2 stations explicitly for combat. that is, 18 out of 33 ships layouts.

another problem with an economy model is that everything gets valuated. need a planet built? 100 bucks, half now half later. want your fleet of ships repaired? 80 bucks for first ship, and 60 for each of the other ships.
everything gets a value attached to it.

and another problem, is that people would make hue and cry about not being able to set their own prices for the services their ships can provide (it would be a pain anyway for devs to valuate the things that players and their ships can do.

"no i will not repair your cruiser for 50 bucks a minute. 75 or no deal"

and another problem, that people would start competing for services (or clients for servicing).
(cue a line of street shops, each selling resource mining equipment, each shouting the lowest profitable price they will sell their stuff at)

and a series of other problems, :-
loaning of bucks (and charging interest)
hoarding or blackmarketing services (also known as creating artificial service scarcity)
frustuation of not getting critical support due to falling short of just 1 buck.
monopolisation of services

and many other financial problems (economy = finance)

the current global economy makes me feel that introducing economy models of any type or domain will make a headache for players (no offence to anyone or anything)

simple combat is good

henry700
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-13 12:44   
I totally like this, but as some other people said it's a VERY big change and we don't know what will the effects be, because in this way it will turn into something like Dark Orbit, where you mine for Bucks and can even kill people of your own faction.

The most important thing is: the currently faction-owned assets, will be owned by who? NPC corporation or something?

What about Starports? We can't simply grab resources from them to make platforms?

And we will have to spend personal money to defend everyone's assets?

And if there's another fleet from your faction losing one of their planets, you can simply not give a damn and continue your life because you would lose bucks if you helped them? This discourages teamwork to the MAX.

This really has to be thought about further, because if it is implemented like it's said there, Factions wont mean much, Friendly Fire and deals for Bucks will take over the MV. We need to tweak this.

Imo, the starting phase of tweaking this is giving Bucks just like we give prestige, so you will actually earn something by helping team-mates in combat, or in repairing.
[ This Message was edited by: henry700 on 2012-08-13 12:47 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-13 13:25   

No I didn't mean for this to go the way of EVE or Dark Orbit where fleets/clans rule the roost. You'd still be restricted from firing from other ships of your factions.

As I said, that was just an idea.

There are probably other ways to go about making things outside combat more interesting or rewarding. For now, this is what I have.

henry700
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-13 13:29   
Quote:

On 2012-08-13 13:25, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

No I didn't mean for this to go the way of EVE or Dark Orbit where fleets/clans rule the roost. You'd still be restricted from firing from other ships of your factions.

There are probably other ways to go about making things outside combat more interesting or rewarding. For now, this is what I have.

Well from what i experienced some time ago it isn't very restricted, you just lose prestige

Anyways, i don't want it to flow outside of combat, but i want to have more interesting things along the way.

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-13 13:34   
I was thinking planets have a Value of what amount of credits there worth maybe when a fleet owns said planet they gain 1% or a small ammount of that worth to there fleets credit balance so eventually if ur fleet i doing well in the MV [holding/captureing planets] you cqan lvl your fleet up make this once a day or week ur fleet is credited meaning that if u want to fast track ur fleet u can with real money xD?

just an idea

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-13 14:50   
Quote:

On 2012-08-13 13:25, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Very interesting and I like it. The biggest problem I see though is faction hoppers. How do you prevent them from joining one side and seeing where the installations and such are and then joining a different faction and then blowing them out of the sky? Just food for thought.

[ML]RogueAvengerTTV
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-13 16:55   
simple increase the time that a player is "bound" to a faction by 12/24 hours most likely the thing will be gone by then anyway or they have forgot

Email [ML]RogueAvengerTTV
henry700
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-13 19:23   
I really want to see this economy revamp going somewhere... Just saying. You feel more cool if you got da cash.

Plus we already have credit value for planets on that tab... Now where did that come from

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-14 05:36   
- Besides combat, what else is fun in DS?

all the other stuff...

- rebuilding a nuked system
- nuking a system
- speedcapping a system
- try to survive as a daring supply ship
- ur face
- other ppls faces
- Doran-da-man
- annoying big ships in a small ship
- killing small ships in a big ship
- station spamming, to see if u can make ppl qq
- spawn a dictor to make ppl qq
- make ppl qq in general
- talk drunk in lobby
- be drunk in general
- use ecm in a group fleet and have huge firepower cloaked

what might work:

- more thrust for supply ships, maybe take off the weapons completely and add an engine...they need to be able to get away fast and dodge, while still stay in range of the ship ur supporting

- i like the idea of mid-space structures that have a function, maybe make the basecode same as platform, but the visual that is placed on the diamond can be changed to whatever. A resource silo holding 1 million resources for instance, or an extra effective factory, or u could expand this to a mid-space space station with modules that can be added, with of course a huge cost in resources. Maybe split up each module in a segment, so that u need 4x silo segment costing 4x 25K resources, or 8 segements for a supply module (8x 25K resources). of course there need to be a base module that has life support and living quarters to support 2 modules for instance? if u wanna add more u need a base module (build from 2 segments 25K each?). Of course the Offensive and Defensive modules can also be added muahaha. Could help keep battle more away from planets.

- for planet economy u could make it so that an extractor mining and dropping resources at a planet with low resources get prestige in a new pres entry called "mining"

- factories in planets could produce fun stuff for resources, so could spacestation factory modules. Since weapon lvl 10 instead of standard lvl 1 on ur scout wasa bit OP, i suggest allowing em to produce enhancements. where a enhanced enhancement cost 10 million resources and need 120 tech, slowly taking resources from a planet per tick until the enhancement is done. Of course, by adding the idea of fleeted planet management depending on who capped the planet, this makes planet management and capping more interesting. Of course some planets need to stay open for everyone to manage just to be fair, give other players a chance to do something. also i dont think enhancements over limited could be produced at barren planets, standard at ice, improved at ocean and enhanced at terran.

downside is that a planet can be easily bombed, making it almost impossible to produce something usefull. But as we look at mv now, theres bound to be some planets maintained by your faction, especially in home system. So many planets make a lot of enhancements. Thats why i think it needs tech requirement that is as high as 120 for advanced and 10 million resources, that would take a couple of days.

[ This Message was edited by: Furiosity on 2012-08-14 05:55 ]

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-14 12:18   
Besides combat, what else is fun in DS?
The forum
Obviously.

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-14 12:28   
Quote:

On 2012-08-14 12:18, chlorophyll wrote:
Besides combat, what else is fun in DS?
The forum
Obviously.

Don't forget the chat lobby too. There's usually some very interesting conversations there, because most of the time it has nothing to do with the game.
But yeah.. The chat lobby..

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022495 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR