No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What reason is left to use a station?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author What reason is left to use a station?
Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Grand Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2012-08-23 17:40   
With the whole. *the biggest ship in the game can't cap a planet thing* out there now. Tell me what is the use for a station currently is it:

A. to sit in a support station to have your missles shot down with a giant green healy ring around you for others to stay near as you get ranged to death. *or they get in close so you can't fire said missles but yet arent in beam range.*

B. Use a battle station for.... uhh, not capping planets. Maybe enemy target practice from 1.2k away where your torps EASILY miss by a mile.

C. Use a command station, proving you've at one pointed capped a few ships in your day.

D. ???

E. Profit.

F. Partaking in the greatest race never finished.

E. Planet decoration.

I mean really? Whats the point of GA/M/CM anymore if everythings being driven to dread/cruiser/dessy. Besides the whole MY PREST NUMBER IS BIGGER-ER.

Also feel free to add anything I may have missed.

/end venting

[ This Message was edited by: Kaine Darkheart {C?} on 2012-08-23 17:41 ]

Email Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-08-23 17:49   
For support. Trying to use a Station as an upgrade from a Dreadnought will only serve to frustrate you.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2012-08-23 17:52   
support, repair. possibly defense. stations still arent useless.... besides UGTO stations were never useless... unlike kluth or ICC...wich sometimes get stomped like a joke. i dont really know why are you mad about it. shroom fest planet gang banging is something to be mad of.

if it were up to me, i would make stations STATIONARY. jd/wh only.
so station pilots would be more strategic about their moves.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-23 17:56   
-Defence (to cite a real-world example, in WW2 heavy tanks had the heaviest guns and armour yet found more use in defensive roles rather than offensive)

-As a temporary planet/rally point for taking systems.

-Consolidation of newly-acquired territory (especially for command stations)

Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Grand Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2012-08-23 19:34   
I'm not saying a station should do everything, nor am I saying I should be a one man army in a station.

However, I have NEVER felt more usless in a station.

I can understand being a rally point as a station.. and if thats ALL it's suppose to be then fine I guess ill only fly a support station.

But what about the battle station it serves no purpose as a rally point minus its size I guess? *not really* it has 0 qualitys appealing to rally.

It can be a supply prestiege magnet I guess.

But realistically I'm not really saying it needs to be super op. Nor am I making any suggestions. My point is, the last 3 ranks = usless

The biggest ships = useless/EASILY countered by ONE enemy faction player.

Can't cap planets Oxymoron ... it's a station ffs. *that middle f is freak*
the inf on a station even if it makes it to a planet, counts as ONE ship. thats ONE person sitting on the opposite side of the planet. constantly out menuvering a station.

Point being. They need.... something... maybe the interdictor auras or I don't know but as of right now, there is ZERO reason to even try and play a station.

Unless you like getting targeted first, being the first to leave because your damaged to the point of you're going to die unless you're sitting ON a planet. and even if, you're still getting cannoned from 1.4k away out of planet dictor/defense.

[
[ This Message was edited by: Kaine Darkheart {C?} on 2012-08-23 19:37 ]

Email Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-08-23 19:54   
Quote:

On 2012-08-23 17:40, Kaine Darkheart {C?} wrote:
With the whole. *the biggest ship in the game can't cap a planet thing* out there now. Tell me what is the use for a station currently is it:

- Heavy Fire Support
- Defense
- Fleet Rally

The station is still what it is. A huge tank in space that the rest of your ships can gather around and discourage enemy ships from simply taking head on unless they have hugely superior numbers or stations themselves.

It can still effectively defend planets by discouraging enemy ships from simply sitting around in orbit.

Why am I not surprised that it would be an Uggie who'll complain about this?

Probably because you guys are the ones who spam stations to cap rocks. Well now you'll just have to spam EADs.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-23 19:55   
as said above stations are supposed to be used in a support role, the Nest/BS/LS are best primaily for defencive postitions or defending support stations at close range against Assault dreads or gate camping. if you don't wanna use a station, fly a dread, or god forbid a cruiser or dessie.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-08-24 19:20   
The entire point of using a station is not to capture a planet. Infact, it takes just two ships to begin to overwhelm the natural 32 enemy inf on a planet.

Of any ship.

The reason stations no longer contribute is because players found that the easiest way to take a planet was just to take a bunch of stations to it. Stations already have incredible amounts of defense, firepower, and utility, so anything more wasn't really needed.

Considering that a stations intention is not to be spammed in the first place, its been taken as a good direction to discourage people from having more reasons to do so. Flying a station shouldn't be big = best. It should be about whether or not its really necessary to have one out when another ship might be better for it. In this case, if you want to cap a planet, now its pretty detrimental to just have all stations.

Believe it or not, there are more ships to this game. And please lay off the entitlement - it doesn't take very much work at all to fly a station.

-Ent

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-29 11:48   
this thread is now about station tactics.

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-29 14:13   
Quote:

On 2012-08-29 11:48, Mersenne Twister wrote:
this thread is now about station tactics.

Sometimes I put engine booster enhancements on my station and pretend it's a good idea

Havick86*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-08-29 21:43   
Being an icc station driver among my other toys i always found my role in either a
SS or LS to be fire support, a big shield to hide with or a simple mass exit for my
fleet to escape with my WH drive. That or it was always enjoyful to take a LS and drop
into the mix of things and cut loose with everything i have on the nearest threat to
My fleet

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2012-08-30 10:55   
In the last 2 days I have seen a lot of stations being used. I think the balances really work, I noticed that about half the players were in a station (on UGTO) but atleast the other half was flying cruisers/dreads/dessies. This worked very nice, and really makes the game more enjoyable. The only problem I currently have is that the BS is really useless in my opinion. The SS can repair and has missiles, CC has fighters and can build, but the BS has lasers (nobody gets that close) and QSTS, which are just to slow to hit anyone unless they are way to close. I think it might be nice if the BS gets a few missiles or fighters so it contributes something atleast. Its just sad to see so many SS without even one BS.

Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2012-08-30 23:19   
I sure do love being one of 3 people on a side and see the other side bringing out 10 stations to fight my dread.

Lotsa uses for Stations. look at the screen shot Zero took. That is normal now, atleast since I've been back. 4v1? You 4 can have machine guns. You poor single SoB, you get this pen knife.. NOW FIGHT!

I bet lotsa new/returning players love this dynamic.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-09-02 00:24   
Quote:

On 2012-08-30 10:55, Sixkiller wrote:
In the last 2 days I have seen a lot of stations being used. I think the balances really work, I noticed that about half the players were in a station (on UGTO) but atleast the other half was flying cruisers/dreads/dessies. This worked very nice, and really makes the game more enjoyable. The only problem I currently have is that the BS is really useless in my opinion. The SS can repair and has missiles, CC has fighters and can build, but the BS has lasers (nobody gets that close) and QSTS, which are just to slow to hit anyone unless they are way to close. I think it might be nice if the BS gets a few missiles or fighters so it contributes something atleast. Its just sad to see so many SS without even one BS.

Really? Moar stations?

Seems like it's a knee jerk reaction to this new patch. Some sort of rebellion even?

You know what, we need to remove dreads (except command ones) from the planet capture abilities too. Let's see how that pans out.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2012-09-02 06:53   
I think currently the problem is that Supply Stations are overused. While individually they are not that strong, having 5 SS right next to eachother creates an extremely strong repair zone, making them almost undefeatable.

Perhaps one of the options would be to make the supply zone less effective when there are multiple. So when you get repaired at speed y when your in 1 zone, currently you get 2y when there are 2 zones. This could have a falloff like 1.75y for 2 zones, 2.5y for 3 or something like that. This does not individually make stations less effective (something I see as unwanted; currently they are not that strong at all) but defenitly discourages using a big load of stations all grouped together. Just some food for thought:)

Also: still might wanna give the other stations just a lil' bit of love.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023290 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR