No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » my computer sucks :(
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author my computer sucks :(
Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-05 17:09   
if u check ur devices where u right clicked ur video card, theres also an entry for memory, check if its DDRAM or SDRAM...sometimes if u put wring type in it wont work cause motherboard dont support it. u can also find out by openeing side of pc and take out the memory card (when pc is without power cable attached), its the small green long card with gold looking matrixes on it. about 3x14 cm.

also when no resources available i suggest check ur bios settings, maybe the port u using is disabled. And did i read correct that you say u havent connected vga but and old port instead? cause then u rlly need a vga cable...in most cases. when u start-up pc how does ur pc beep? if its just "beep" its okay, but if its "beeeeep beep-beep" then video card isnt connected properly. although it shows properly in your software...it seems more like u installed wring drivers or there r missing dll files. use a hardware scanning program to double check u got the right software.

have u checked if there is install folder in a hidden partition?

jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-05 17:49   
Quote:

On 2012-09-05 17:09, Furiosity wrote:
if u check ur devices where u right clicked ur video card, theres also an entry for memory, check if its DDRAM or SDRAM...sometimes if u put wring type in it wont work cause motherboard dont support it. u can also find out by openeing side of pc and take out the memory card (when pc is without power cable attached), its the small green long card with gold looking matrixes on it. about 3x14 cm.

also when no resources available i suggest check ur bios settings, maybe the port u using is disabled. And did i read correct that you say u havent connected vga but and old port instead? cause then u rlly need a vga cable...in most cases. when u start-up pc how does ur pc beep? if its just "beep" its okay, but if its "beeeeep beep-beep" then video card isnt connected properly. although it shows properly in your software...it seems more like u installed wring drivers or there r missing dll files. use a hardware scanning program to double check u got the right software.

have u checked if there is install folder in a hidden partition?

i still dont know how to check if its ddram or sdram (i did a little research but failed). i will check later or tomorrow if the port is disabled or not, im being a little lazy right now . you are right, i HAVENT connected it to VGA, but i HAVE connected it to the OLD PORT. (sorry for the caps, i just want to emphasize) my computer makes no beeping sounds when i start it up. i might be missing dll files. last time i've used a hardware scanning program (i've used the one nvidia has), it told me it didnt find anything. same thing with manual search. (when i did the manual search, i didnt know what to search for so that might be why it didnt find anything) im gonna have to search the computer to see if there is a hidden partition. (i could have simply said no, but hey)

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-05 19:28   
Jim send me a private message and give me a number I can call. This will be a lot easier if I can talk to you. As already mentioned I live in the US.

Or

Pop into the lobby and you can send me a /tell there. If I do not respond right away I will respond as soon as I read over the logs later. But I am in the lobby now.
[ This Message was edited by: Challenger on 2012-09-05 19:30 ]

Email Challenger
Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-07 21:16   
Jim I ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-2700-2GB-DDR-Memory-ddr333-184Pin-Non-ECC-LOW-Density-/170907082026?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item27cadb1d2a#ht_500wt_1414

It is being shipped directly to your house. It is PC2700 instead of your PC2100. 2GB is the max your motherboard will support.

Hope it helps.

Email Challenger
jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-08 05:20   
Quote:

On 2012-09-07 21:16, Challenger wrote:
Jim I ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-2700-2GB-DDR-Memory-ddr333-184Pin-Non-ECC-LOW-Density-/170907082026?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item27cadb1d2a#ht_500wt_1414

It is being shipped directly to your house. It is PC2700 instead of your PC2100. 2GB is the max your motherboard will support.

Hope it helps.

thanks. i hope it helps too.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-08 16:58   
challenger so helpfull, he has won the "good samaritan" platinum badge long time ago.

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-08 18:09   
Quote:

On 2012-09-08 16:58, -domedi- wrote:
challenger so helpfull, he has won the "good samaritan" platinum badge long time ago.

yeah, he definitely deserves it.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-09-08 20:27   
Quote:

On 2012-09-04 19:28, jimjim578 wrote:
@pantheon
it would be to the old port, not the vga port.

So you installed a new graphics card, but you haven't connected it to the monitor via a VGA cable? Instead you're using the old onboard port, thinking the power of your graphics card would magically flow through it?

[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-09-08 20:27 ]

jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-09 05:45   
Quote:

On 2012-09-08 20:27, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-09-04 19:28, jimjim578 wrote:
@pantheon
it would be to the old port, not the vga port.

So you installed a new graphics card, but you haven't connected it to the monitor via a VGA cable? Instead you're using the old onboard port, thinking the power of your graphics card would magically flow through it?

[ This Message was edited by: jimjim578 on 2012-09-09 05:49 ]

ironically, when i opened up this computer the other day, i found out that the monitor is connected to the graphics card via a VGA cable. (for your second question.....) yes, i thought it would. i was on the phone with challenger on that day and if i remember correctly, he said that my graphics card isnt getting enough power (btw, its in the right spot, its just that now, i cant take it out) because i either dont have enough enough electricity flowing through the computer (which i have enough of) and/or the motherboard doesnt support it (or doesnt have the resources to support it). when i get the ram challenger sent to me and when i install it, i will see if the graphics card has enough power to run. if it doesnt, i will go into device manager and uninstall/disable one of (or both) the video/graphics card (onboard card or the new graphics card). if that dont work, im either doing something wrong or that its just time for a new computer (when i had this computer open, i found a year in it. this computer was made in 2003).

EDIT: also, @furiousity its SDRAM, if you havent checked the link challenger put up yet. the pc wont run if it doesnt have any ram (ram that is supported, anyways)

TheDarkhelmet95
Fleet Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-09-09 10:43   
My computer specs:

Windows XP SP3
1GB RAM
180GB HDD
Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHZ
ATI RADEON 9000 PRO 64MB

Email TheDarkhelmet95
Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-09 10:48   
My Phone specs:

1gb Ram.
32gb storage.
1.5ghz multi core processor
1280x720 display.
It could probably run DS better then my laptop.
Where is our smartphone DS port!?

Challenger
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-09 11:09   
According to forums his BIOS automatically disables on board video when there is a card plugged in. No disrespect Jim but you are a bit of a harware n00b I was hesitant to walk you through your BIOS over the phone. You can easily screw something up. I think your video card IS working properly it just needs the RAM to free up resources for you.

Also for those of you who are following this post his power supply is either a 180watt or 260watt according to Dell's website. The 260watt should run it fine but I am unsure about the 180watt one.

Jim if you go to nvidia's website or research it online put in the model name of your video card and power supply requirements and that should tell you if your power supply will support it.

If the RAM I am sending you does not work then I would be confident it is because of your power supply. However, I feel with the new RAM you will be good to go.

Here is your tracking info on the RAM https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699938134673524 unless they screwed up and shipped to me it should be arriving at your house no later then Tuesday. No signature required it'll be arriving with the regular mail.

Email Challenger
Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-09-09 12:55   
Hey Challenger, wanna buy me a new laptop?

Email Walrus of Apathy
jimjimjaroo
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-09-09 14:00   
Quote:

On 2012-09-09 11:09, Challenger wrote:
According to forums his BIOS automatically disables on board video when there is a card plugged in. No disrespect Jim but you are a bit of a harware n00b I was hesitant to walk you through your BIOS over the phone. You can easily screw something up. I think your video card IS working properly it just needs the RAM to free up resources for you.

Also for those of you who are following this post his power supply is either a 180watt or 260watt according to Dell's website. The 260watt should run it fine but I am unsure about the 180watt one.

Jim if you go to nvidia's website or research it online put in the model name of your video card and power supply requirements and that should tell you if your power supply will support it.

If the RAM I am sending you does not work then I would be confident it is because of your power supply. However, I feel with the new RAM you will be good to go.

Here is your tracking info on the RAM https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9400109699938134673524 unless they screwed up and shipped to me it should be arriving at your house no later then Tuesday. No signature required it'll be arriving with the regular mail.

no offense taken. i know im a noob (and hopefully will grow out of it) and im still learning. i posted this forum on DS because 1) this is the best community i know and 2) i knew that there were smart people who could help me. i could of asked my family but they are either to busy or (no offense to my family) to stupid to help me.

i did some research and my graphics card wants 300 watts but 250 watts should run it (as said in my research). my power supply is 250 watts so hopefully it will run everything. i may have misread the power supply and could be 260 watts but im sure its at least 250 watts.

i think my bios didnt automatically disable the on board video is because there werent enough resources for it. correct me if im wrong because i dont know if the on board video takes up the resources and the bios miscalculated that or what.

EDIT: i double checked, my power supply is 250 watts.
[ This Message was edited by: jimjim578 on 2012-09-09 14:09 ]

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2012-09-10 03:54   
okay so the video card requires 250 watt as least to maybe be able to run, and your power supply is 250 watt.

how many watt does that leave you to run your processor, motherboard, etc?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021937 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR