No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What makes DS special?
 Author What makes DS special?
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-03 20:23   
first off, this isn't for me. I'm just gonna say that if I can make this work, DS will have a lot more people playing it.

anyway, what makes DS special and not just another old space game?

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-10-03 20:38   
1. Teamwork. TEAMWORK

Personally, I am a teamwork nut. I LOVE working in a team, thinking as a team, dying as a team......lol
This game revolves around teamwork.
Coupled with unique space combat, and decent graphics, this game is definately a favorite.

2. Community.
IMO, the community is 50% of the game, if not more. I know of other games that are 12+years old with a fanbase still kicking,but the community is absolutely TERRIBLE, treating new players(and eachother) like crap. As a result, the game is inevitably going down a downward death spiral.

This game, has a great community. Its small enough to where you get your daily playing partners, but big enough to get some variety and see new faces periodically.
Not to mention most players we have today have been around for awhile, and have the decency to help out and encourage new players, This is a HUGE plus, a self sustaining community.

A brief opinion of a hungry lobster.

Space Pope
Midshipman

Posted: 2012-10-03 20:46   
Definitely the community. Here you have a great bunch of players who'll do everything they can to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. I remember playing this game years ago and I gotta say it was tons of fun, even when nothing was really going on and we just kinda cracked jokes while waiting for the main group of lobsters to come online.

Another amazing thing about the game is how dynamic it is. Even in the span of a week each faction could take turns dominating the others. Hell even starting to lose can be great fun. I remember a time when the lobsters invaded Sol and camped a half dozen stations around mars. Now that was a hell of a fight.

Thats the kind of stuff that made me come back. It's just a shame I can't get my bloody comp to run the game right now.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-03 21:33   
It's unique. There is no other MMO that has the gameplay that DS does, and the fact that the community doesn't overall suck like in most big MMOs is a plus as well.

It's also worth noting that even though I'm not a PVP person and avoid it like the plague in other games DS makes it fun.

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-10-03 21:35   
Quote:

On 2012-10-03 21:33, Talien wrote:
It's unique. There is no other MMO that has the gameplay that DS does, and the fact that the community doesn't overall suck like in most big MMOs is a plus as well.

It's also worth noting that even though I'm not a PVP person and avoid it like the plague in other games DS makes it fun.

I agree with Talien, im not a much of a PVP either, but the beauty of DS makes it great.

PokeYourWaffle
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-03 21:35   
As previously stated, the community. There is a fairly tight knit community on Darkspace that you wouldn't find in many other games. Sure we argue and banter back and forth almost everyday but when it comes down to it, we all agree that Darkspace is a great game and do our best to have as much fun as possible. You can go on another game and find a guild or clan that has as many players in it as the whole Darkspace "active" community has. It makes me feel special being part of this tight knit community. New players are welcomed with open arms into Darkspace and as confusing as it might seem at first, we are all supportive of the new players and welcome them into our tight knit group with tons of support and THAT is what makes this game so great.
[ This Message was edited by: PokeYourWaffle on 2012-10-03 21:36 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2012-10-03 21:47   
Quote:

On 2012-10-03 21:35, PokeYourWaffle wrote:
we argue and banter back and forth everyday

ftfy

Space Pope
Midshipman

Posted: 2012-10-03 22:09   
Another thing I'd like to add is that it's a lot easier to catch up to the old guard who've been playing this game since its beginnings than in other MMO's. Mostly because this game puts more emphasis on an individuals skill than any kind of gear.

The game also has a pretty good pacing and forces you to practice before giving you ships you're not ready to pilot. You have to work your ass off to get that first dreadnaught so you'd be damn sure not to use it willy-nilly, same with your first frontline cruiser. The fact that you might just get demoted if you do something stupid adds to the intensity of a good fight. Not to mention the sweet satisfaction of watching your first big kill go kaplooie.
[ This Message was edited by: Space Pope on 2012-10-03 22:10 ]

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-04 04:03   
What makes this game special...oooh boy.

Playing this game can feel like a dream, a dream where u are partly in control. the serenity of all movement cannot be found anywhere else. Just flying a cruiser near the sun to play with the light effects has amused me a couple of times. jumping an engineer in a 120 sec jump to deepspace, you can be on a busy server yet feel all alone.

Many games are fast paced arcade action style, this game is smooth, relaxing, like going to a lounge, lye down on a big soft couch. Then some enemy ship jumps you and suddenly you have to press a lot of buttons to survive. I have found myself just bashin 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 20x a sec because all i could see was big yellow lines and my hull going down, then die 3 seconds later. Like waking up from that dream i talked about earlier:) Like..."what just happened? Where am I?"

Then you can make plans, different approaches to tackle a problem. Am i going to bring long range combat, short range combat, am i going to try and capture the enemy ship, can i lure it towards a heavily defended place, am i going around the enemy and bomb their planets, do i prepare for an upcoming invasion by constructing planets and/or platforms? list goes on and on. and for each choice, there is another set of choices. The fun part is that its based on quite a simple concept: ship, planet, space. Just the various roles that we as a player can choose for the ship, the planet, or the space decides what will happen. Many games feel set to stone, meaning there is no player influence over the outcome, or endresult of the day.

Some games try to increase player influence over the game, resulting in a few arrogant ppl ordering everyone around and shoot the ones that dont listen, this game had these moments as well, but seeing how the community in DS can strike back at these people made a big difference. When there is no mutual trust and willingness to help, your team will fail and you will die.

In short: playing in a dream, with nice wake up calls, relaxing, but also action packed and exiting, all depending on your choice on what you do that day.

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-04 09:09   
ds is great because the universe ds inhabits is fluid, and malliable by player action.

You can join a faction long term and really effect how that faction performs and is viewed. You can have a direct affect on the outcome of a battle, a campain, a war.

You can unite many like minded pilots under your banner and form an unstopable force. Or you can assemble the very best and make a fleet renown and loved by all, enemy and ally alike.

You yourself can become a legend, if you are so fortunate. Or you can become the embodiment of fear that moves armies if you are so skilled.

Never has an avitar ive created had such a huge impact on a game. And never have i made so many friends online.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-04 09:28   
Better then Lightspace.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-04 11:43   
Directed at anyone who is reading this >>>People like YOU<<<

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
-(kha-ti the silent watcher)-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-05 14:27   
All in all it is the people who make this game special. teamwork~ community~ tolerance~

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-05 20:30   

Concept, gameplay, community

Page created in 0.017988 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR