No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Lag / desnyc
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Lag / desnyc
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-11 16:51   
Quote:

On 2012-10-11 13:23, rykros1987 wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-08 17:23, ssmiro wrote:
Since 2 days I am experiencing amssive desync / lag.

I see ships which do not move for minutes, I enemies not moving but even if I fire at them wont get killed.

Now the trick is changing to a different server and then back to the one I was initially everything seems to be fine for a while. But then it starts again. Odd..

Well then I changed the faction to a different one. All of a sudden everything is smooth and fine. Everything works as expected... ships get damage I get damage.... so far so good.

Changing back everything seems to be fine and after a while it starts again... WTH is going on?

I think somehow the synchronization of the server and clients is messing up. I find that at times I'll fire shots at enemies only to find that they take no damage at all and at other times they'll take damage just fine.

As of recent people keep claiming I'm lagging a lot when I'm not. I have between a 75-150 ms ping 99% of the time.

I think the problem comes in when I'm doing a lot of quick evasive movements with my smaller or medium sized ships. As I fly at high speed and do my left to right to left to right dodging to make myself harder to hit a lot of people complain all of a sudden that I'm lagging.

I'm guessing that as im doing quick dodging movements the server has a hard time extrapolating my movements ahead of time to keep up with my location. This causes desync and as desync gets worse some enemies shots im willing to bet look like they hit me but on my end I dodged the shots so no damage.

This leads me to believe that when shots do no damage its because even though the server makes it look like you got hit graphically you actually dodged the shots. So this issue seems to be the servers fault.

Honestly gets annoying when I prefer to do a lot of quick evasive moves and I get accused of excessive lagging by people who claim I shouldn't be able to play because of my lag even though I'm not lagging.(like two face) I find this extremely annoying.

The server keeps up fine, I just checked the log and it was spammed with latency warnings for you, so you're definitely lagging, which would explain your problem.

As far as client<>server sync, nothing has been changed at all, and I mean absolutely nothing. The only changes made were the way your clients make connections to the server, which is likely the cause of some disconnects. Whether that be a problem with your client dropping packets, I can't say for sure.

The client always renders things immediately, however, if you MASH spacebar when you're in jump enroute to a target, your client will exit obviously before it does on the server (can't fix that - that's the internet for you). When you exit the jump on your client however, your client will simulate the alpha strike. The server will receive the command to fire the weapons, but due to you being in jump still on the server, it won't allow you to fire, and you will cause no damage.

There are a few edge cases like that which can happen (if you mash spacebar when turning and your weapons have JUST entered firing arc). Unfortunately, this is a casualty of creating a game like DarkSpace, and is EXACTLY why no other game simulates a world like we do. All other games roll the dice to see if you hit or not, and most of the time don't care where you're facing.

I'll get Faustus to check the connection changes to see if there could be something causing your client to drop packets or not send them or the server to not receive them, but ultimately if any desync does happen, it's 99% down to your latency and nothing to do with the server or game.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-10-11 16:57 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-11 22:57   
FYI... The server crashed about 4 time today, so that's pretty much the cause of the lag your seeing more than likely. I'm investigating the issue, and working to figure out what is causing the crash but it's not easy

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-12 02:51   
thanks for looking into it and I hope you find the issue soon.

Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-12 16:05   
Ok hmmm....so it seems that for some reason....even though most my other games play perfectly fine...like pwi,diablo 2,tanki online, etc etc.

This game goes bonkers while im playing it. It appears perfectly fine on my end. I'm flying around mostly in an assault corvette. I fly around keeping my distance from lasers and pelting people.

Everyone else says that for some reason my ship starts rubberbanding and doing backflips on their end. To me it appears perfectly normal flight and enemy accuracy is straight at me as accurate as it can get and if their shots hit I take damage.

So to me it appears like for some reason this game maybe due to a little latency or I don't know really because I don't know much about how the game works itself...this game doesn't display me graphically on the other end in the correct way.

Could this be some sort of bug associated with connections that periodically have lag spikes like on wifi? With a shared network connection?

As far as I can tell it seems to only be a graphical glitch because everyone else shoots at me just fine. They act like its impossible to kill me though and take the graphical glitch to be literal as in im some un-hittable ship when I'm not.

It honestly gets annoying too when people like two face keep harassing me about it. What can I do about it? honestly nothing at all I don't know exactly how my ship starts acting that way graphically. Could you'll maybe look to see if theres some way to fix that? D:

People keep saying that only I graphically glitch that way too so I'm probably going to find a recording software and make a video of me ingame so people can see that its perfectly fine on my end.
[ This Message was edited by: rykros1987 on 2012-10-12 16:19 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-12 19:20   
You were jerking all over the place on my end the other day too. Your connection is likely getting choked by the server. DarkSpace requires a lot of data to be shunted up and down, meaning if you can't keep up, you'll lag like crazy.

Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-12 19:55   
I have cable though. D: its not like its dial up. lol

Havick86*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-12 21:40   
Quote:

On 2012-10-12 19:55, rykros1987 wrote:
I have cable though. D: its not like its dial up. lol

if it's comcast it's the issue plain and simple, comcast is evil in an expensive don't give you what you pay for kinda way

Sparkx
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-13 02:50   
make sure your router/firewall is letting DS through and not trying to scan every package. I have comcast here in FL and dont get any lag issues. I have at a previous house, had to call comcast and the signal was screaming too loud and was messing up my internet. Give them a call to check your signal...

Email Sparkx
Rykros1987
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-13 12:31   
It's cable hooked up to a main router that then transfers data to another router which is hooked to my machine. D:

Now I know online armor might cause a little latency so I'll see if theres a way to disable its fw function as its main function is to just stop anything from running or installing on the machine without being allowed first.

I don't see why people QQ about it though since I do see their shots come at me normally. I just usually am in a tiny assault corvette and it tends to dodge 99% of their fire just because of its size and I tend to stay out of laser range when im on the assault corv.

[ This Message was edited by: rykros1987 on 2012-10-13 12:35 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.016991 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR