No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » * Development Blog * » » Stats, stats, stats!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Stats, stats, stats!
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-15 18:40   
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since last year when I took over as dev team lead we’ve seen a number of changes internally as to how we operate and how things are done, and hopefully you’ve enjoyed the fruits of our labours these past 12 months. I think we’ve done a pretty good job over that time period, and to some of you that may not seem so - but realistically, when you’ve got a group of people who aren’t paid and can only work on the game occasionally, you’re never going to be able to stack up against those big budget AAA studio’s; and when you take that into account, I think we’ve achieved a lot of good changes that have improved DarkSpace as a whole.

We’re not done yet, by a long way, and we’ve got some very interesting stuff in the pipeline balance-wise, but I’m not here to talk about that...

We’ve been pretty open recently with regards to exact game mechanics and values, this is partly because although we had previously been open with percentiles and such, a lot of people doubted us. I realise there’s always going to be a percentile of any player base who blames personal skill level on x, y, or z, so hopefully this final step will go some way to resolving any doubts you may have in our reading ability!

I also realise we have some pretty smart people in our community in regards to mathematics and such, and although some of you may not have skills required to directly help with the game, you can always help us with our damage calculations and such.

Before I give you guys the link to a website which details every single statistic for every single gadget in the game, I would like to give you some disclaimers:

1) Although we’re giving all the raw values of gadgets, some gadget’s function differently to others and so you cannot directly relate their stats to one another. One example is GadgetShield and GadgetArmor - shield repair rate is done once every 20th of a second (how often shields are updated due to rotation, etc), whereas armor is once a second, hence why their values seem lower. Otherwise, if you pay attention to the parent gadget (GadgetWeapon, GadgetBeamWeapon, etc) and notice it’s the same as the other gadget you’re comparing, their stats are directly comparable.

2) The website currently lists old gadgets that are no longer in the game, like CL2000 and Armor10000. These are only there as legacy items that are required for the ShipAuditor to work. I will get around to deleting these off the website, but for now, just ignore them or look at their stats for fun. They’re not in the game in any way, shape or form though.

3) I will be updating the website with formulas and displaying raw DPS and energy stats. This takes time however, so for now, I give you the raw stats and a few basic calculations.

Finally, without further ado, the website:

Gadget Stat Website

Extra thanks go to Fattierob for his help in getting to this point.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2012-10-16 10:44 ]

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-15 21:23   
Thanks a bunch for putting this together!! It should be a nice resource for sure! Thanks also to the rest of the dev team as well. You guys have done a great job so far and I personally can't wait to see what you have coming.

Blackjack [DBL]
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-15 23:18   
It's always interesting having a peek under the hood.

Names I used: Da Bes Loser, Perseverance, Loyalty.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-16 06:47   
reading into it now joy joy joy

hmmm, i wonder how an addmass effect for reflective armor can result in lighter armor...is that a typo or do the other armors also have add mass effect but it just isnt listed?

small thing: cloak100 is listed twice once u open it..actually all EWAR is listed twice

for cloak btw, it says cooldown is level * ticks per second. that means an answer would be in ticks per second...but the ticks per second are a constant 20. soooo... in a level 5 ship cooldown is 100. does that mean 100 ticks thus 5 seconds thus, cooldown (in seconds) is the level of ship?

thx for posting this

[ This Message was edited by: -Rene- on 2012-10-16 06:59 ]

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-16 07:55   
Quote:

On 2012-10-16 06:47, -Rene- wrote:
reading into it now joy joy joy

hmmm, i wonder how an addmass effect for reflective armor can result in lighter armor...is that a typo or do the other armors also have add mass effect but it just isnt listed?

small thing: cloak100 is listed twice once u open it..actually all EWAR is listed twice

for cloak btw, it says cooldown is level * ticks per second. that means an answer would be in ticks per second...but the ticks per second are a constant 20. soooo... in a level 5 ship cooldown is 100. does that mean 100 ticks thus 5 seconds thus, cooldown (in seconds) is the level of ship?

thx for posting this

[ This Message was edited by: -Rene- on 2012-10-16 06:59 ]

Armor has a default mass value that we don't need to specify, however, using a negative value on addMass, we can actually lower the mass value of that gadget. armor() just specifies the current amount of hit points we have on a GadgetArmor type, and since we already lower mass the less HP an armor plate has, we don't want to remove double the less we get, so we use the armor() / 250000 calculation.

The page automatically lists all XML files in a directory - it's working fine on my end, maybe your browser had a hiccup (I'm using Chrome).

In regards to the cloak cooldown, as you mentioned a second is 20 ticks, so the cooldown is converted into LEVEL * 1 second. We have to use ticks here due to the fact that all important gadgets get simulated once a tick (or round abouts there depending on their performance hit to the server), so for cooldown() to work, we need to specify how many ticks it takes for the gadget to 'cooldown'.

Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-17 21:45   
This looks really nice. Thanks panth

Though I did come here expecting stations being turned into basically armor and 1 repair drone.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-18 23:00   
The ELF Torpedo page shows in one line.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-21 19:55   
Hmm "reverseFalloff": "false", on the gauss gun. So I guess the myth that it does more damage at longer range is false.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-22 07:08   
Quote:

On 2012-10-21 19:55, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
Hmm "reverseFalloff": "false", on the gauss gun. So I guess the myth that it does more damage at longer range is false.

It does more damage than the other cannons at range due to the fact that it has no falloff. I think you just misunderstood.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-22 10:50   
To expound upon: Reversefaloff, when true, gives extra damage at longer ranges as opposed to reducing damage at longer ranges.

Weapon A

Reversefalloff: False
Falloff: 0.0
Damage: 100

Damage (Point Blank): 100
Damage (50% Max Range): 50
Damage (Maximum Range): 0

Weapon B

Reversefalloff: True

Damage (Point Blank:) 100
Damage (50% Max Range): 150
Damage (Maximum Range) 200

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2012-10-22 10:51 ]

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-22 21:57   
Quote:

On 2012-10-22 07:08, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-21 19:55, Chewy Squirrel wrote:

It does more damage than the other cannons at range due to the fact that it has no falloff. I think you just misunderstood.

Well it doesn't do any more damage, it does the same at all ranges, right? So just like the railgun does.

Quote:

On 2012-10-22 10:50, Fattierob wrote:
To expound upon: Reversefaloff, when true, gives extra damage at longer ranges as opposed to reducing damage at longer ranges.

Weapon A

Weapon B

Reversefalloff: True

Damage (Point Blank:) 100
Damage (50% Max Range): 150
Damage (Maximum Range) 200

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2012-10-22 10:51 ]

Yeah this is the mechanic I thought the gauss gun had. Does any weapon have reverse falloff?

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-23 06:51   
Quote:

On 2012-10-22 21:57, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
Well it doesn't do any more damage, it does the same at all ranges, right? So just like the railgun does.

Correct. Both the Railgun and Gauss cannon do not suffer damage penalties for hitting at range. The Particle cannon, for example, does.

Quote:

Yeah this is the mechanic I thought the gauss gun had. Does any weapon have reverse falloff?

Not at the moment (I think), but when we start re-balancing weapons and ships their probably will be a few.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-23 07:39   
Extended Range Laser has reverse falloff, or at least it did last time I was in beta.

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-23 07:42   
Quote:

On 2012-10-23 06:51, Fattierob wrote:

Correct. Both the Railgun and Gauss cannon do not suffer damage penalties for hitting at range.

Weapon A

weapon A has no falloff but does less damage on range..so it isnt actually the 0 falloff that makes icc weapons do full damage on max range? (meaning 100 damage in example). Or was weapon A just for example to compare with B and i should ignore this part?

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-10-23 08:26   
Quote:

On 2012-10-23 07:42, -Rene- wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-23 06:51, Fattierob wrote:

Correct. Both the Railgun and Gauss cannon do not suffer damage penalties for hitting at range.

Weapon A

weapon A has no falloff but does less damage on range..so it isnt actually the 0 falloff that makes icc weapons do full damage on max range? (meaning 100 damage in example). Or was weapon A just for example to compare with B and i should ignore this part?

In terms of falloff and the raw stats:

1 means the weapon does 100% damage, and 0 means it does 0% damage at max range.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.017395 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR