No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Could'a...Would'a...Should'a
 Author Could'a...Would'a...Should'a
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2012-10-24 21:18   
Ever have one (or many as the case may be) of moments where an opportunity comes up and you either don't give any immediate and serious thought only to have it taken away from you days, weeks, etc, later when you've finally decided to just go for it?

I had the opportunity to get, for a MERE $2,200, a 1950-60s CASE 580 tractor loader (looks pretty much like a tractor with a bucket attachment), and a 3-point hitch on back with a gannon drag. All it had wrong was a bent front wheel, and a hydraulic leak (ofc what equipment that old doesnt leak?). Better still, it was less than 20 miles from where I live!

BUT...stupid me...I didn't consider it seriously although I'd pondered on it before. The property needs cleaning up and having something would keep me from having to borrow the boss's personal lil' Kubota...which even though he trusts me, that thing was too much of an investment and so would help but would operate it himself. As for the main issue that kept me from jumping at the chance? How to get the damn thing home! That's what!

Where would I find a wheel? Do I really want to take out a minor loan after only recently getting out from under that mountain of a car payment? Money that should have been put away, equal to that payment for a rainy day never happened because other stuff kept coming up.

Then comes yesterday, when I broached the notion to my boss...he thought it was a GREAT idea and I should go for it...and so it convinced me...he'd even help me get it to my place since I've no heavy duty trailer or vehicle to pull it...he does. All that would be needed would be for it to be able to get up on the trailer under its own power...which in the case of this loader I found...wouldn't have been a problem. I'd even been cleared for $2K loan from the credit union...wanted 3K but this would have been my first personal loan so it would have been considered a 'risk' unlike financing a car which functions as collateral.

But here's the kicker. LIKE AN IDIOT I DID NOT WRITE DOWN THE CONTACT INFO! SOOOOO, I hop back on Craig's List (which is where I found it btw) and tried to call up the ad again (that I'd found a week ago)....the ad had been pulled. So either it sold, the seller decided not to sell, or removed it and will put it back up for a lower price (it is this 3rd option that I can only hope for). Spent over an hour last night...until it was too dark to see...to see if the seller's place could be found but to no avail...

All I have left is a of phone number for another lead, hearsay from a coworker about another, and thats about it.

Needless to say, I'm BUMMED!

Anyway, feel free to share your OWN cases of C.W.S!

$2200 is an absolute steal for any working piece of equipment like a tractor...particularly when it has attachments on it already! What a fool I was...
[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2012-10-24 21:19 ]

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-25 07:06   
Quote:

On 2012-10-24 21:18, Entil-Zha the Starkiller wrote:

Better still, it was less than 20 miles from where I live!

lol so i guess u alrdy drove around in a 20 mile radius looking for a tractor loader in someone's back yard? bummer to forget the contact info..

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2012-10-26 22:07   
No wasn't a 20 mile radius...that was how far it's location was from the house. The driving around was only a few miles worth around the town.

As for the REST of YOU people out there. Don't be shy! Share your own cases of C.W.S! Unless you've not yet learned from the lesson yours was suppose to teach . Otherwise...share up...you're not alone...

[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2012-10-26 23:22 ]

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-27 05:24   
well, there is one sequence of events that kinda make me face/palm every now and then...

step1: Found job trough "uitzendbureau" (a temp job, low pay no fixed contract), after 6 months they want to talk about fixed contract at callcentre i work, i tell them that i estimate to finish studies in 6 more months, they withdraw offer of the contract (they have to bay lump sum to "uitzendbureau" to get me under contract). My studies in meantime, took a little longer then 6 months lol...

step2: trying to find a house, there are 3 options:

houses that people can afford - trough something called "woningnet". when i registered there was a 6 year waiting list before you get a house. now, 6 years later, the waiting list increased to 10 years...i have a feeling in 4 more years waiting list increased even more...ill never get this

houses ppl can afford - trough christian homes corporation. You have to call there once in a while and pray at some time your on top of their waiting list. ill never get this

rlly rlly expensive housing, cheapest is at my top limit of what i can afford, trough "particulieren" (private investors, real estate agents). I went there, they tell me i need a fixed contract at my job, not the temp contract, cause thats not reliable enough to ensure an income for me.

Face/palm if only i didnt tell them at callcentre that i was planning an internship soon, then i would have got the contract, so i can rent a house trough "particulieren". But now i have to wait either till my studies done and i got a job, or somehow get a house trought that christian corporation lol

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2012-10-29 19:16   
C'mon, Rene can't be the only other one out there with the nerve to tell their own CWS tale! Fess up! Don't you know that one of the best ways to deal with some things is to just spell it out?

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-29 21:16   
Sister got herself pregnant by some tool who can't hold a job even when he bothers trying to find one (before anyone asks, yes my sister is a moron) and I had the opportunity to motivate him to disappear when my parents let them stay with us for a while after they moved back to Michigan from Florida when she found out she was pregnant, but I let it pass because my parents didn't want violence in the house.

Almost a year later my parents are down over $30,000 that could've been used to go toward moving because they felt obligated to pay for tweedledee and tweedledumb's rent, etc. because she has a baby (my mom has always wanted a grandchild) and neither of them can find a job to pay for their own upkeep. Not that him finding a job would be worth much anyway because he'd be fired or quit within a couple months like always happens. If only I'd just beaten his worthless ass and told him I'd put him in the ground if he ever showed his face again when I had the chance.

Hardcore CWS.
[ This Message was edited by: Talien on 2012-10-29 21:18 ]

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-30 15:39   
Back in 2002 I was working alot of overtime, 7 days a week 12 hours a day. With a low rent, living alone, my truck paid off, and bring home 2 1/2 pay checks a week I soon found myself with around $15k in my bank account. Oneday on the way to work I stopped for gas, and also bought an Auto Trader book. I got the "used for $5000 and under" edtion, Come lunch time I opened up looked thru it and found a 1970 Mach I Mustang for 5k! I called the guy. Turned out he had the Mach I, a 72 SS Chevelle, and a 70 GTO. His wife told him two of em had to go, (Me personally I'da divorced HER on the spot...but thats just me) The mustang was a numbers matching all original! it had a new engine in it but he still had the original number matching engine and it was included in the 5k price. I Told the guy I'd call him back, Told my Foreman (who was also my Dad) I was only gonna work 8 hours that day, and at the end of the 8 hour shift, I jumped in my truck, got on my Cell phone and called the guy back.... He said he sold it less than an hour ago.

I Could'a left at Lunch time that day! The Boss was my Dad after all and he probably would'a paid me for the whole 12 hour shift (in fact I left at 8 hours and he paid me for 12 as it was). I would'a been there at least 2 hours before whoever bought the car had I left immediately after I got off the phone with the guy. I should'a got off the phone with the guy and hauled ass right there. I had the money, could'a wrote a check for 5k, hell would'a took the time to swing by the bank and get the CASH if need be!

But my work ethic wouldn't let me, if I had bailed on work like that it would'a left the guys a man down on short notice, and I just don't do that sorta thing.

Could'a bought a 70 MachI for 5k, it Would'a sold for 8-10k as it set, It should'a been mine.... and in my Garage today, fully restored worth around 18-20k

As it is, I ended up paying 12k CASH for a Lincoln LS a few months later. sold it a few years back for 6k

Hell, back in 1986 I had a chance to buy a 68 Corvette Stingray for $3500. I had the money, but couldn't drive a stick at the time, and could find no one who could, and was willing to ride from Atlanta GA to just outside Chicago Ill to drive it back for me. Hell, I was 18 at the time (young , dumb, and ...etc)

Give me either of those two chances back today? I'll have one helluva car in my garage!

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-30 15:58   
Quote:

On 2012-10-29 21:16, Talien wrote:
Sister got herself pregnant by some tool who can't hold a job even when he bothers trying to find one (before anyone asks, yes my sister is a moron) and I had the opportunity to motivate him to disappear when my parents let them stay with us for a while after they moved back to Michigan from Florida when she found out she was pregnant, but I let it pass because my parents didn't want violence in the house.

Almost a year later my parents are down over $30,000 that could've been used to go toward moving because they felt obligated to pay for tweedledee and tweedledumb's rent, etc. because she has a baby (my mom has always wanted a grandchild) and neither of them can find a job to pay for their own upkeep. Not that him finding a job would be worth much anyway because he'd be fired or quit within a couple months like always happens. If only I'd just beaten his worthless ass and told him I'd put him in the ground if he ever showed his face again when I had the chance.

Hardcore CWS.
[ This Message was edited by: Talien on 2012-10-29 21:18 ]

Oh I got stories I could tell. Same simmilar stories.... with outcomes yours shoulda had. I'm a Redneck.... we do not play when it comes to ridding ourselves of useless bastards. Alot of things can happen to ya in the woods at night. Scary things. Especially if you go to sleep at home in bed, and wake up in the woods ... puts a whole new prospective on just exactly who's sister, neice, daughter you should NOT be dating,and or beating.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-30 17:35   
Quote:

On 2012-10-30 15:58, Feralwulf wrote:
Oh I got stories I could tell. Same simmilar stories.... with outcomes yours shoulda had. I'm a Redneck.... we do not play when it comes to ridding ourselves of useless bastards. Alot of things can happen to ya in the woods at night. Scary things. Especially if you go to sleep at home in bed, and wake up in the woods ... puts a whole new prospective on just exactly who's sister, neice, daughter you should NOT be dating,and or beating.

I'd have to agree there, as much as my sister pisses me off with her horrible decisions she's still family and if I find out that steaming pile of fertilizer has ever hit her he'll need to be hospitalized.

Oskar von Reuenthal
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-06 08:25   
strange...

i graduated in the top ten of my class. i got invites from a lot of corporations for work. i could have taken the Accountancy board exam, but i didnt. i wanted to go to law school, and so i did.

i showed a classmate of mine all the invites i got. so she listed them all down and applied for a job at all of them. she got hired by one of the firms and now she is a senior executive at one of those firms earning a 7 digit salary. it should have been me. i could have taken the job invites, i should have taken one of the job invites, and i would have, if it were not for my fiance (now wife), who advised me to go to law school.

P.S. i have my own law practice, and it's not so bad.
Xenophon Excelsior, By the grace of God, Sultan of Snark, brother of the Sun and Moon, grandson and vicegerent of God, sovereign of all kingdoms: of Sol, Kaus Borealis, and Tetra, of Dres Kona and Delta Pavonis: king of kings, ruler of all that exists;

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-06 08:52   
OUch! on other hand being independant of the mood of an employer is worth a lot more. the friend with the 7 digit income can still get fired

Page created in 0.023011 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR