No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Modern Darkspace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Modern Darkspace
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 19:49   
Honestly Two Face, I think your problem is not with the actual shield structure itself, but with the idea that an engineer can just sit there and rebuild the shield, which will be back at 100% each time.

I completely agree with you.

Can we have the default health of planetary shields be set to zero?

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:08   
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 19:47, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

I see a lotta ranting from the TS, but no suggestions, ideas or a plan on what he might even want.

Thats probably why at the end on my OP i said thoughts..? get ideas flowing, stimulate some dead brain cells ect, infact your a Dev now!

Ok suggestions from me:

Either

* Give all faction's planetary shields.
* Give no faction planetary shields.
* Give each faction a unique building structure that no other faction has.
* Make the game as fair as possible.
[ This Message was edited by: Two Face on 2012-11-12 20:08 ]

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:12   
*counterproductive comments witheld*

I thought this was gonna be a good idea throwing thread, now its melting into a mess

TAKING ENTIRE GAME balance into perspective, I'd say planet shields are just fine. It performs exactly what planet def is supposed to do: slow down the attacking fleet and provide an edge for the defending fleet.

The planetary shield is more fitting for ICC, because in general ICC lacks the brute force necessary to stop a planet invasion in its tracks they way ugto/kluth can. ICC cant instagib an attack with assualtdread/station spam like ugto can, and ICC cant appear out of nowhwere, pop the support stat and scatter the attacking fleet like kluth can. ICC is more for slowly wearing away the enemy with its weak weapons but strong defense, and the planetary shield fits right in, buying more time for them.
[ This Message was edited by: |xTc| ExisTence *XO* on 2012-11-12 20:14 ]

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:15   
Your living in old Darkspace times. ICC is more then a match these days.

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:18   
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 20:15, Two Face wrote:
Your living in old Darkspace times. ICC is more then a match these days.

Honestly in my opinion, its all about tactics/teamwork more then ever.

Sometimes stat spam wont always win everything! but enough of that

[ This Message was edited by: |xTc| ExisTence *XO* on 2012-11-12 20:18 ]

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:22   
Back to the age old counter arguement about UGTO stat spam *sigh* (living in the past once again! All factions have caught up)

About time the players caught up instead of being single minded!

PokeYourWaffle
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:37   
I love how the topic got off the rails again, this topic was started to discuss problems with the shield being too hard to take down/too easy to build. In my opinion shields aren't difficult to deal with, even though they are slightly irritating.

I like the idea of making them start at 0% instead of 100% when built. Maybe bump up the tech to 30-40 because come on, a shield covering the whole planet? Gotta be some smarty pants people on the planet.

Also, we started discussing each faction having its own unique building. I think this idea is brilliant and the ideas so far seem to be something that makes K'Luth's buildings harder to see and something along the lines of automatically fixing buildings/repairing ships faster for UGTO. (Correct me if I am wrong)

The whole unique buildings topic might be better off discussed in a fresh topic instead of continuing it in here.
[ This Message was edited by: Iliana on 2012-11-12 20:43 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-11-12 20:47   
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 19:49, Fatal Incinarator |SoT| wrote:
Honestly Two Face, I think your problem is not with the actual shield structure itself, but with the idea that an engineer can just sit there and rebuild the shield, which will be back at 100% each time.

Yeah, see, that's an actual useful comment. It IS slightly ridiculous that anyone can just scrap and rebuild a shield and have it right back up at 100% within 30 seconds.

Starting at 0 isn't a bad idea, but they'd need a regen boost to compensate.

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-12 21:08   
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 20:47, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 19:49, Fatal Incinarator |SoT| wrote:

Yeah, see, that's an actual useful comment. It IS slightly ridiculous that anyone can just scrap and rebuild a shield and have it right back up at 100% within 30 seconds.

Starting at 0 isn't a bad idea, but they'd need a regen boost to compensate.

This could work or atleast help a "little".
[ This Message was edited by: Two Face on 2012-11-12 21:09 ]

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2012-11-12 22:36   
They are so right when they say history repeats itself.

1. This idea has been batted around for a long time. The current setup is the best I've seen.

2. Planet capping is the quickest I have ever seen. Wow, I wish all the players of long past were back in the MV to see it now!

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-11-13 00:30   

Perhaps a very simple solution to this problem, if it's even one, would be to raise the tech requirements of the planetary shields. From 20 to say, 60?

That way perhaps you would see shields on high value planets and not on mining or production worlds.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-13 00:53   
would it be possible to set the shield regen to OOC much like ship repair rates? So if it takes damage it's regen is like halved or something? Just an idea since it seems to be such a big issue.

BLADERUNNER2019
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2012-11-13 11:14   
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 08:49, Talien wrote:
You're joking, right? A planetary shield can be taken down by a single Frigate in 3 runs, and a Cruiser in 1, the only thing they're actually good for is blocking neutron/bio bombs from killing troops and pop. Even so they're barely worth building since they take forever to regen, if they were removed there's not a whole lot of people who would actually miss them, at least not in their current state.

If planetary shields are barely not worth building, then why is one on every ICC planet?....bottom line is they are an advantage that UGTO/KLUTH planets do not have.

Not only that, the planets in Dres Kona and Tau Ceti are in a pattern that makes navigating through dictors a complete nightmare compared to the way UGTO/KLUTH planets are layed out...just to get from gate to gate takes forever and empties your JD dry, look on F2 at the pathways from gate to gate in the UGTO/KLUTH systems- NO planets blocking pathways from gate to gate-......now look on F2 in dres kona and tau-NOTHING BUT planets and their dictors blocking the pathways from gate to gate-....

any thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: Bladerunner2014 on 2012-11-13 11:16 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-11-13 11:22   
Quote:

On 2012-11-13 11:14, Bladerunner2014 wrote:

If planetary shields are barely not worth building, then why is one on every ICC planet?....bottom line is they are an advantage that UGTO/KLUTH planets do not have.

Because they're cheap in terms of tech requirements. If SYs needed only 20 tech to build, every planet would have one too.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-13 11:47   
Quote:

On 2012-11-13 11:14, Bladerunner2014 wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-12 08:49, Talien wrote:
You're joking, right? A planetary shield can be taken down by a single Frigate in 3 runs, and a Cruiser in 1, the only thing they're actually good for is blocking neutron/bio bombs from killing troops and pop. Even so they're barely worth building since they take forever to regen, if they were removed there's not a whole lot of people who would actually miss them, at least not in their current state.

Not only that, the planets in Dres Kona and Tau Ceti are in a pattern that makes navigating through dictors a complete nightmare compared to the way UGTO/KLUTH planets are layed out...just to get from gate to gate takes forever and empties your JD dry, look on F2 at the pathways from gate to gate in the UGTO/KLUTH systems- NO planets blocking pathways from gate to gate-......now look on F2 in dres kona and tau-NOTHING BUT planets and their dictors blocking the pathways from gate to gate-....

any thoughts?

[ This Message was edited by: Zupatoll Jah! on 2012-11-13 11:54 ]

build a deep space platform and jump directly to that, then to the next platform that will be near most tau ceti planets...dres kona is awesome, and kona cluster ment to be a huge stopping force

and i think shields do frustrate the attackers, but it gets truly annoying in fleet vs fleet battles, where big differences can be made with 3x 4 bombs hitting (take out dictor). for shield, u need full load of bombs to all hit without getting pd untill u pass shield and dmg dictor or whatever. so 2-3 defending ships can make it impossible almost to pass enough bombs on a planet where vs other factions u can get lucky fromcertain angles.

in short, the only problem in balance might be, that in cases of 3+ players, icc can bomb ugto or luth planets and do dmg with just 2-3 lucky hits, where the other way round the bomber would have to hit a full load then get a refill from nearby plat base and go back.

the best solution i can come up with is to let icc shield bases act as a PD bonus, reducing dmg from ALL incoming bombs. i'd say 25% pd would do good, giving icc planets a max of about 65% -80% pd with full defense/anti bomb bases. that still means their defense is awesome, but at least u got possibilty of dmging the planet starting with ur first bombs, keeping the possibilty of sneaky ninja bomber strikes.

of course, current situation also seems fine, mv still balanced around kaus and no faction managed to get any push going.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.018920 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR