Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » New Idea for ICC ships
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author New Idea for ICC ships
Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-20 00:23   
I have been trying to think up new ways to incorporate some of the physics of the Star Trek universe into the Darkspace universe. The first think I thought of was adding a new feature to ICC shields.

Ex.) In many in-depth Star Trek games, shields are powerful, but there is something called bleedthrough damage, which allows for approx. 1-5% of beam damage to penetrate shields and go to armor/hull. This would not be absolutely devastating to the ICC ships, as it would only server to help the game be more realistic. This would only apply to beam weapons, torpedoes, SI's, Ion cannons, would have no bleedthrough(according to my idea).

If this were to actually take effect, then I do believe that a considerable amount of K'Luth weapon nerf complaints would stop showing up, as perhaps siphons would have a bit more firepower against ICC stations. I forgot to mention that according to [:AoD:]Taelon's reply to my topic "Stations", ICC support stations have OP shields. Or at least, thats what he implied.

Just consider my idea, and to the devs, lemme know if you want to try the idea out in beta and maybe we can consolodate some test subjects. One could be an assault ship of some sort, the other could be an ICC Support station.

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-20 03:05   
You do realize most ICC station pilots actually INTENTIONALLY allow you to damage armor/hull by turning off their shields, right? Its beneficial to take damage to armor/hull and then turn shields on because the amount that gets repaired before shields go down is negated.

Edit: Not to mention the energy benefits

edit2: also to make the game more "realistic?" Seriously?
[ This Message was edited by: Chewy Squirrel on 2013-01-20 03:06 ]

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-20 08:38   
So the proposal is to unilaterally screw over one faction by making their defences less effective because of the "physics" of a fictional technology in an equally fictional universe and this is to be labelled as a "feature"?

There have been worse proposals made, I'll say that much.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-01-20 09:24   
No.

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-20 09:38   
Why don't we have the camera shake round uncontrollably whenever your hit by any kind of damage...?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-20 09:54   
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 09:38, The Fridge wrote:
Why don't we have the camera shake round uncontrollably whenever your hit by any kind of damage...?

Great idea!

While we're at it, why not make your computer or monitor explode in your face once you've gotten a hull breach. Happens in the Trek movies all the time.

Plus, on your part, you could dive across the room and hit your head on the wall or something.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2013-01-20 09:55 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-20 10:00   
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 08:38, YIIMM wrote:
So the proposal is to unilaterally screw over one faction by making their defences less effective because of the "physics" of a fictional technology in an equally fictional universe and this is to be labelled as a "feature"?

There have been worse proposals made, I'll say that much.

Jack already said no. Heh.

But let's pretend that he didn't. If this idea went through, then UGTO armor would also suffer some kinda bleedthrough. After all, when tanks get hit by incoming rounds, the shock transfer causes spalling of the interior. You know spalling? When the interior wall of the tank shatters and fragments ping around the compartment, killing the crew. UGTO would take some hull damage from a hit on the armor too. Ditto Kluth. In fact, K'luth's cloak should shimmer briefly if hit.

But this is all something that's extraneous at the moment. Doesn't really have much impact on or add anything to the game, and for some substantial coding trouble too. Not worth it, IMO.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-20 10:04   
Sure, why not. Then we can change Armor to Hull Plating and have it use power while it's active, and add all kinds of other things like Metaphasic Shielding and change the MI to the Borg. Oh wait that's probably copyrighted isn't it? I guess we'd have to rename them to the Blarg.

Or you could, you know, just go play STO where they already have most of this "realistic Star Trek stuff".

Quote:

We could also have controls be unresponsive for a few seconds while the bridge crew picks themselves up off the floor after they all get thrown out of their seats.

YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-20 10:16   
Quote:

I do that myself with the mouse just so I feel immersed in the experience.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-01-20 10:16   
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 00:23, Ignorance wrote:
incorporate some of the physics of the Star Trek universe into the Darkspace universe.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-20 11:31   
Quote:

I actually kinda like this, as long as the camera goes back to where it was after a second. Could be something to have an option on/off for.

If we're going to make DS like Star Trek now, then I demand the ability to defeat any enemy by shoting a polarized ionized photon inverted tachyon warp neutron burst out of the deflector dish.

Email Walrus of Apathy
YIIMM
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-20 13:06   
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 10:16, Doran wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 00:23, Ignorance wrote:
incorporate some of the physics of the Star Trek universe into the Darkspace universe.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-01-20 13:09   
Quote:

On 2013-01-20 10:00, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Doesn't really have much impact on or add anything to the game, and for some substantial coding trouble too. Not worth it, IMO.

What I meant to say.

Still no tho.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-01-20 13:51   
Wowza..

1, you should play as ICC and try out all the faction's ships before you start trying to "help fix things".

2, Bleedthrough damange. Already exists for ICC. I can't tell you how many systems get fluxed by UGTO when the hull, Armor, and Shields are at 100%. Not to mention taking hull damage on ships where there is no armor but your sheilds are still fully charged.

3, Welcome to Darkspace, this is not Star Trek.

-Charz

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-20 14:20   
My screen keeps shaking when taking damage, is there a way to turn this off or is it a bug? My monitor almost fell of my desk the last time...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027585 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR