Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Jameason
14th - Random Axis

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » The one thing this game needs...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author The one thing this game needs...
Hyperforce
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2013-01-29 03:09   
Quote:

On 2013-01-28 20:56, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-28 20:08, Fluttershy wrote:
I haven't been playing DS because this is one of the few games where you get demoted for dying, and I just can't play the game and relax, because the threat of loss constantly looming over me is just too much to bare.

I just don't really find it fun, because you end up getting interdicted and chewed up and lose prestige that took a long time to accumulate (At least for me)

Well there's always Pacman....

NOW thats a hard game and not all that forgiving of error...ONE slip up and boom u get ganked from all directions by Overly persistant AI...

i tell u what the the MMO ive loved the most out of all gams ive played was a game called tibia its gfx sucked but it had no level limit and exp on death was at an exponential rate for instance if u die at lvl 200 u will be dmoted to like 185 or something and let me tell u lvl 200 takes years.... its the challenge that made me so commited to it i only ever made it to around lvl 60 but this is what brings me to DS a PVP style game with high stakes...just muakes u appreciate the higher ranks when u earn them that is all

Goto the website of Hyperforce
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-29 09:35   
Quote:

I haven't been playing DS because this is one of the few games where you get demoted for dying, and I just can't play the game and relax, because the threat of loss constantly looming over me is just too much to bare.

I just don't really find it fun, because you end up getting interdicted and chewed up and lose prestige that took a long time to accumulate (At least for me)

And as for more players... Well, half my friends just uninstalled it because they planet dived 10 times and had no idea what was going on, or they didn't play it at all because the game looked like garbage, and put your little minnow in a tank of sharks.

What ships do you fly? If you find you die too much, try using something smaller and learn how to make the most of it, then apply what you learned to larger ships and you'll find you die less.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-29 09:39   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 09:35, Talien wrote:
Quote:

And as for more players... Well, half my friends just uninstalled it because they planet dived 10 times and had no idea what was going on, or they didn't play it at all because the game looked like garbage, and put your little minnow in a tank of sharks.

What ships do you fly? If you find you die too much, try using something smaller and learn how to make the most of it, then apply what you learned to larger ships and you'll find you die less.

+1 If you get good in a cruiser on any of the factions dreads have a hard time killing you.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-01-29 14:31   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 09:35, Talien wrote:
Quote:

I normally fly destroyers and cruisers, even though I have the rank to use an Assault Dread.
One of the big things that really kills me in this game is lag. I can respond to a point-jump before they even disengage and have time to open fire, but I end up dying or taking severe damage several seconds later.
I don't lag that badly on other games, so idk what the deal is with this one, I guess the point-jump mechanic is just really unfavorable to someone with suboptimal packet delay.

And I usually play K'luth so I can pick my fights and be completely certain that I am not visible.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-01-29 14:33 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-29 15:30   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 14:31, Fluttershy wrote:

I normally fly destroyers and cruisers, even though I have the rank to use an Assault Dread.
One of the big things that really kills me in this game is lag. I can respond to a point-jump before they even disengage and have time to open fire, but I end up dying or taking severe damage several seconds later.
I don't lag that badly on other games, so idk what the deal is with this one, I guess the point-jump mechanic is just really unfavorable to someone with suboptimal packet delay.

And I usually play K'luth so I can pick my fights and be completely certain that I am not visible.

That happens to most of us actually, someone will get point jumped, then e-jump, then die or take damage after a few seconds while they're mid jump. I jumped with a full armor/shield Cruiser after a Siphon decloaked behind me and started taking damage, then exited the jump almost 10 seconds later and was still taking damage.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-01-29 16:38   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 15:30, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 14:31, Fluttershy wrote:

That happens to most of us actually, someone will get point jumped, then e-jump, then die or take damage after a few seconds while they're mid jump. I jumped with a full armor/shield Cruiser after a Siphon decloaked behind me and started taking damage, then exited the jump almost 10 seconds later and was still taking damage.

10 seconds is very uncommon. You'd have to have an effective latency of 10,000 ms for that to be the case. We update damage every 2 seconds, but movement is always update as soon as the data is available.

If you send a movement packet to the server (we send lots of these very very very often - we literally spam the server with them), it will not move your ship until your connection has sent a packet successfully. Once the server receives the command though, it doesn't matter if another player is still shooting at you on their screen due to their latency. The server will dismiss all the damage because the starting point of that damage from the player, and the contact point on the players screen does not collide with the ship on the server.

The game deals purely in coordinates. In terms of beams its start and end point, and in terms of projectiles, its where that projectile is. Even if a high ping player see's a projectile hit your ship, the server won't, and as a result, won't send damage your ship. Put simply - there is nothing for that projectile or beam to collide with. The enemy will see you taking damage, then jump away at 0% hull, even though you may have jumped away a few milliseconds or indeed seconds ago.

Anyway, I'm getting off point:

You only take damage if the server knows you take damage. The server never lags in terms of bandwidth - we have so much it's ridiculous. The only case where you will take damage after you have jumped is because you are lagging. The game is designed to feel as if you have 0 lag, but if you live a jazillion miles away from the server or have a crappy connection - in reality you will not be where you think you are, and that ship that you 'just' saw jump you, may have been there for some time depending on how badly you are lagging.

There's nothing we can do about this - if we could fix the internet, we'd be millionaires.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-01-29 16:38 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-01-29 18:55   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 16:38, Pantheon wrote:

10 seconds is very uncommon. You'd have to have an effective latency of 10,000 ms for that to be the case. We update damage every 2 seconds, but movement is always update as soon as the data is available.

If you send a movement packet to the server (we send lots of these very very very often - we literally spam the server with them), it will not move your ship until your connection has sent a packet successfully. Once the server receives the command though, it doesn't matter if another player is still shooting at you on their screen due to their latency. The server will dismiss all the damage because the starting point of that damage from the player, and the contact point on the players screen does not collide with the ship on the server.

The game deals purely in coordinates. In terms of beams its start and end point, and in terms of projectiles, its where that projectile is. Even if a high ping player see's a projectile hit your ship, the server won't, and as a result, won't send damage your ship. Put simply - there is nothing for that projectile or beam to collide with. The enemy will see you taking damage, then jump away at 0% hull, even though you may have jumped away a few milliseconds or indeed seconds ago.

Anyway, I'm getting off point:

You only take damage if the server knows you take damage. The server never lags in terms of bandwidth - we have so much it's ridiculous. The only case where you will take damage after you have jumped is because you are lagging. The game is designed to feel as if you have 0 lag, but if you live a jazillion miles away from the server or have a crappy connection - in reality you will not be where you think you are, and that ship that you 'just' saw jump you, may have been there for some time depending on how badly you are lagging.

There's nothing we can do about this - if we could fix the internet, we'd be millionaires.

Yeah, usually it's just a couple seconds at most. I only ever had something like that happen the one time and it just kinda stuck with me as a "wow, what the hell just happened?" moment. I always figured the server wouldn't initiate anything until it actually recieved the input, just because we see something doesn't mean it's actually happening.

I just chalk it up to a crappy node somewhere along the line between me and the server, as I rarely have issues like that in other online games.

Fleet Admiral Shark
Fleet Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2013-01-29 19:13   
I'm currently making some Darkspace ship replicas in 3ds max. But my model making skills are terrible. But im getting better and better every time i make them.

I plan on making a cinematic trailer for darkspace using the models i created. If someone could donate thier models to me (kenny) *cough* maybe I can get this trailer up before summer. I go to sleep everynight thinking of a cool story line to be used in these trailers and such. Anyway. Thats an update from Fleet Admiral Sharky

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-01-29 22:33   
Quote:

On 2013-01-29 19:13, Fleet Admiral Shark wrote:
I'm currently making some Darkspace ship replicas in 3ds max. But my model making skills are terrible. But im getting better and better every time i make them.

I plan on making a cinematic trailer for darkspace using the models i created. If someone could donate thier models to me (kenny) *cough* maybe I can get this trailer up before summer. I go to sleep everynight thinking of a cool story line to be used in these trailers and such. Anyway. Thats an update from Fleet Admiral Sharky

Any models I have made or am making for the game are the property of Palestar. You will have to go through Faustus for permissions to use them.

Since you're thinking of making an animated trailer for DS, which could actually be great advertisement for the game... or who knows, if it's scripted and implemented well enough, could be used as a game intro animation... why not email Faustus or Pantheon?

You can always submit your script or storyboard, along with any technical details of what you intend to do or need, and let them see if we can work together on this little project of yours.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-01-30 06:49   
You're free to use the models for any non-profit work for DarkSpace (fan video, etc). Anything outside of this will have to go through Faustus.

Koba
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2013-01-30 12:04   
if i had a dollar for every time someone sead this game needed more players......

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2013-01-30 14:55   
this game needs to nurf pac man! for everytime pacman dies you loose press

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-30 21:49   
Quote:
The game is designed to feel as if you have 0 lag, but if you live a jazillion miles away from the server or have a crappy connection - in reality you will not be where you think you are, and that ship that you 'just' saw jump you, may have been there for some time depending on how badly you are lagging.

There are 2 things involving in this kind of lag: internet connection and PC's performance.

My internet connection hasn't changed. But there were time when I found my latency had been over 10 000ms. After Fautus disabled something (the shadow or shader) and game ran smoothly again, I had learned that my latency was actually caused by video progressing.

I also played other local MMO on 2 computers - one fast one slow, I recognized video progress was the main reason of lag.

You can't do anything with your ISP, they don't control international bandwidth. But you can set your configuration to a lower graphic level and hope that's the easiest way to solve the lag.

In my own case, after disable every video feature and play in window mode, the game is quite fine with me. Note that I download from DS at 1xx kb/s and that's enough to survive and kill. I have no graphics card, and has been using Pen 4, but I encouter very few trouble with this game. That facts is to say this game is friendly to most PC. The game only froze when I was among dozen ships and hundreds of missles/fighters. If only I was able to turn off smart noun tracking on client side, I would have no problem at all to play this game.

What you should do is to suspect your AV/firewall/security suite.

Hyperforce
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2013-01-31 05:25   
Quote:

On 2013-01-30 21:49, chlorophyll wrote:
Quote:
The game is designed to feel as if you have 0 lag, but if you live a jazillion miles away from the server or have a crappy connection - in reality you will not be where you think you are, and that ship that you 'just' saw jump you, may have been there for some time depending on how badly you are lagging.

There are 2 things involving in this kind of lag: internet connection and PC's performance.

My internet connection hasn't changed. But there were time when I found my latency had been over 10 000ms. After Fautus disabled something (the shadow or shader) and game ran smoothly again, I had learned that my latency was actually caused by video progressing.

I also played other local MMO on 2 computers - one fast one slow, I recognized video progress was the main reason of lag.

You can't do anything with your ISP, they don't control international bandwidth. But you can set your configuration to a lower graphic level and hope that's the easiest way to solve the lag.

In my own case, after disable every video feature and play in window mode, the game is quite fine with me. Note that I download from DS at 1xx kb/s and that's enough to survive and kill. I have no graphics card, and has been using Pen 4, but I encouter very few trouble with this game. That facts is to say this game is friendly to most PC. The game only froze when I was among dozen ships and hundreds of missles/fighters. If only I was able to turn off smart noun tracking on client side, I would have no problem at all to play this game.

What you should do is to suspect your AV/firewall/security suite.

ok everyone i kind of had an sudden realisation of somthing but first your video related configuration and hardware wont affect your latency "lag" but something else your FPS will be similar to lag in its effect but not the same thing... now after reading some information provided by devs about how the server works and commuicates i thought to yself maybe something else entirely is causing these "lag spikes" because truth be told is the server was as bad as ive initially argued it would lag pretty much the same consistantly depending on server load now after reading the current server bever goes anything over 70% lby normal means this made me realise the lag spikes must be a result of something else now i did read that if u could rapidly spawn ais this would induce heavy lag now because i dont understand how the client side communicates with the server side i cannot be sure but if i where somehow able to hex edit my current client into running or executing commands such as as call or updating ship location much more rapidly then a cooldown allows would this confuse the server side and force it to execute whatever it is i attempted to spam on client side faster than allowed would this not cause a lag spike if i for instance suddenly sent like 20 ship location updates within a second or two to the server would this cause a spike for a second or so? could this be checked id assist in testing as i can hex edit myself but if it may ease my paranoia of certain players and help reduce the problem ill spill all my beans on what i know and what can be done...

Goto the website of Hyperforce
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-01-31 09:42   
massive run on sentence. Can you try to use periods in the future please?

as to the bandwidth issue, it doesn't make much sense to me personally. I have a .750mbps connection most of the time and live in Alaska to boot, and I have no issues with lag or anything like that. Heck I can usually stream music in the background as well and not have a problem.

[ This Message was edited by: Brutality on 2013-01-31 09:43 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031316 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR