No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Planetary Orbits
 Author Planetary Orbits
Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2013-02-05 13:46   
Hello guys.

I know that a while ago we had planets that actually went around their parent suns. You know, like they do in real life.

But I'm interested to know why this was removed? Was it because it took too much out of server resources? But also because this is a suggestion to add said orbits back to the game, as it would offer a bit more variation on the battlefield.

As of right now, the battlefield(aka the systems) are pretty much stationary, and that's not that much of a good thing. Sure it means you won't get hit my a passing inferno planet, but then again, it means you get kind of bored when capping the exact same planet in the exact same place for the 10th time.
This suggestion probably won't solve the fact that some systems are so contested (i.e Kaus Borealis) that no one wants to bother anymore, but it would give them a more dynamic feel which could trigger interest in fighting in those system again.

But if this was to be implemented again, I've noticed that some planet's orbits overlap, which would mean they can crash into eachother. My suggestion is to set it so that if said planet orbits are overlapping, they would move at the same speed so as to not get stuck within eachother. Same for planet orbits which are fairly near eachother.

Also, I suggest these planets move much slower than previously. And not have the inferno planets that travel so fast they might sooner or later go into hyperspace. Instead, I suggest that if a planet is say 50k gu away from it's parent sun it would move at 50gu/hour.

Now that may not seem very fast, and indeed, it's not. But if it moved like that for an entire week it would be almost 8400 gu away from it's previous location. And if you take into account the fact that planets closer to their parent star would move faster, and those farther away than that would travel slower, then you have a truly dynamic battlefield that doesn't change extremely rapidly and doesn't make you crash into an inferno planet gone wild.

Thank you for the time it took you to read this rather lengthy suggestion, and I hope this feature gets implement back into the game under some form.

-Cold Death

PS This is a suggestion only about planets moving around stars, not moons around planets and gas giants.
[ This Message was edited by: Cold Death *RO* on 2013-02-05 13:52 ]

| Dark Hiigaran |
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-02-05 13:53   
planets will never orbit live do to sync issues but your post gave me an idea.

make planet move after daily restart ? they would still remain stationary but would move along their orbit after restart.

Email | Dark Hiigaran |
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-02-05 14:15   
Quote:

On 2013-02-05 13:53, Lja wrote:
planets will never orbit live do to sync issues.

This is pretty much the reason

Quote:

make planet move after daily restart ? they would still remain stationary but would move along their orbit after restart.

This is planned and i'm 99% sure it will start happening when the new MV map comes out. Whenever the server starts it'll re-calculate all the positions of the planets based on where it "should be" (length of time since last restart * distance it travels on its orbit) and moves it before it loads the map up. This should alleviate a lot of the staleness of the mv.

User23
Admiral

Posted: 2013-02-05 14:17   
im User23, and this is my seal of approval

Steveyk
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2013-02-05 14:17   
when planets moved if u spawned in its way well it would run you over spawn kill, wasnt all planets but paul and galaxis i think were two of the worst for it

Email Steveyk
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-02-05 14:43   
Very cool, this has been talked about and anticipated for awhile now and if it comes into the next map that will be very awesome.

Keep up the good work devs!

Page created in 0.012046 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR