Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Tier system
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Tier system
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-27 23:06   
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 18:24, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 06:38, Novacat wrote:
Entering the ships ingame is just simple database work, it just requires that you know how to copy lines without making typos, the hardest part is finding the right XYZ coordinates for all the devices and thats mostly trial and error unless you guys have some special program for it.

I'm surprised you know so much about how we enter stuff into the game.

Seeing as it has nothing to do with a database.

Or how to copy lines without typos.

If it was a simple fact of just the tier system that was holding back 1.7, it would have been done a while ago. There's a lot more to 1.7 behind the scenes than meets the eye; like significant core changes to how GCQS works (the backend to our chat system).

If making a game in your mind is so simple, I'd love to see you make a game like DarkSpace in but a few months - seeing as it's as simple as copying a few lines from a database .

To elaborate on this, each ship class in the game has a Scene file, which defines what model the ship uses, what gadgets it has, what arcs those gadgets have (Fore, Port, Starboard, Aft, or some combination of them), where the gadget is positioned on the model, and lastly the exhaust trails.

For each individual gadget, we have to select two different files to define what type of gadget it is and make sure it will function correctly. Then we have to position it somewhere on the model that looks appropriate. We also have to tell it which arcs it does or does not use and which direction it launches in (for missiles, bombs and fighters).

We have to do this for each gadget one by one, and most ships have at least 15-20 of them. We're re-using gadgets form the existing layouts where we can, which saves some time, but in many cases we have to add entirely new ones. It can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes to go through this for each ship, depending on how many gadgets it has, how many of them are already placed, and whether or not the entire ship has to be created from scratch rather than modifying an existing layout.

Each faction has 5 Scouts, 13 Frigates, 5 Transports, 3 Engineers, 13 Destroyers, 3 Supplies, 13 Cruisers, 13 Dreadnoughts and 3 Stations. 71 ships per faction * 3 player factions = 213 ships to build. 20-60 minutes per ship * 213 ships = 71-213 hours for all player ships in the game, or anywhere from 3-9 DAYS of continuous, 24/7 ship-building.

So far it's mostly me and Walrus working on building ship layouts. The others contribute here and there, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty it's just us two. I work a full-time tech support job and Walrus has his school finals coming up, so we're doing what we can in what spare time we have available, but the fact remains that this is going to take awhile to finish.

Email Jim Starluck
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-27 23:08   
Could you put up a tutorial and allow us to help?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-04-28 00:09   
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 23:08, Fluttershy wrote:
Could you put up a tutorial and allow us to help?

No. Access is extremely limited as it requires both the developer flag to run the Resoucer, and access to our SVN repo which houses everything to load the data into the Resourcer.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-28 01:22   
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 06:38, Novacat wrote:
Entering the ships ingame is just simple database work, it just requires that you know how to copy lines without making typos, the hardest part is finding the right XYZ coordinates for all the devices and thats mostly trial and error unless you guys have some special program for it.

You assume too much.
From game balance to how the ships layouts are created.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-28 04:12   
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 23:06, Jim Starluck wrote:
Each faction has 5 Scouts, 13 Frigates, 5 Transports, 3 Engineers, 13 Destroyers, 3 Supplies, 13 Cruisers, 13 Dreadnoughts and 3 Stations.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-28 08:21   
Quote:
If making a game in your mind is so simple, I'd love to see you make a game like DarkSpace in but a few months - seeing as it's as simple as copying a few lines from a database .

I never said anything about the rest of the 1.7 patch, just the Tier system, and considering implimenting the tier system ingame is just adding a bunch of new shiptypes (most of the actual work is designing it), it really is just entering lines in a database.

I even did it myself back when it was possible for people to host their own private servers and the old map editor could actually edit ships. It was very easy and the hardest part was finding the right XYZ coordinates for the components, which required a lot of trial and error.

Quote:

To elaborate on this, each ship class in the game has a Scene file, which defines what model the ship uses, what gadgets it has, what arcs those gadgets have (Fore, Port, Starboard, Aft, or some combination of them), where the gadget is positioned on the model, and lastly the exhaust trails.

For each individual gadget, we have to select two different files to define what type of gadget it is and make sure it will function correctly. Then we have to position it somewhere on the model that looks appropriate. We also have to tell it which arcs it does or does not use and which direction it launches in (for missiles, bombs and fighters).

We have to do this for each gadget one by one, and most ships have at least 15-20 of them. We're re-using gadgets form the existing layouts where we can, which saves some time, but in many cases we have to add entirely new ones. It can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes to go through this for each ship, depending on how many gadgets it has, how many of them are already placed, and whether or not the entire ship has to be created from scratch rather than modifying an existing layout.

This is exactly how I imagined it, and it really is just glorified database entry. Your biggest concern is making typos which tends to make very bad things happen, and I know some people who are notoriously bad at this (I have to check their work and clean out the typos on a regular basis) and some people are really good at this.

However, this is not actual programming, nowhere near actual programming. This is something that can be mostly crowdsourced and save the developers a lot of time.

Quote:
On 2013-04-28 00:09, Pantheon wrote:
No. Access is extremely limited as it requires both the developer flag to run the Resoucer, and access to our SVN repo which houses everything to load the data into the Resourcer.

I am currently working mainly with experiance with other games, but I am guessing the files for each individual ship is plaintext, each individual ship likely has either its own file, or they are all defined in one file which is highly unlikely for Darkspace but some games do it (such as Starpoint Gemini, a game very similar to Darkspace).

If memory serves me correctly, a ship will have individual lines defining the model (with texture), trails (and XYZ coords for them), Damage points (which show up as the orange sparks and such when a ship is damaged), shiptype, and all the individual gadgets and their arcs, orientation, and XYZ location.

The model, trails, and damage points are mostly irrellevant, they are each tailored to individual models and generally can be copy-pasted so long as you do not use a new model.

The gadgets are where the most pain comes in. Each ship has a different set of gadgets, and you have to define each individual one. This is where it becomes like database entry, your basically entering the gadgets into the list and making sure you do not make any typos.

The typo part is variable from person to person, some people cannot be trusted to touch a file without making at least one typo, while others are extremely meticulous.

Of course, the hardest part is Orientation and Coordinates. This requires a lot of testing (loading internal build, testing, making changes, than loading it again, etc.) in order to get just right. Given, the hardest part also cannot be outsourced, but surely you can save some time by giving people a list of ships, some basic formatting for putting in gadgets, and the community could likely do most of the easy, tedious work for you, just leaving the orientation/coordinates work to do. Even if it only cuts 5-10 minutes per ship, that would enormously help the team, no?

Quote:
On 2013-04-28 01:22, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

You assume too much.

Hm? Why are you so offended by the mere suggestion that some parts of Darkspace's development is not exactly rocket science?

Goto the website of Novacat
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-04-28 08:43   
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 08:21, Novacat wrote:
Quote:

I never said anything about the rest of the 1.7 patch, just the Tier system, and considering implimenting the tier system ingame is just adding a bunch of new shiptypes (most of the actual work is designing it), it really is just entering lines in a database.

I even did it myself back when it was possible for people to host their own private servers and the old map editor could actually edit ships. It was very easy and the hardest part was finding the right XYZ coordinates for the components, which required a lot of trial and error.

Quote:

This is exactly how I imagined it, and it really is just glorified database entry. Your biggest concern is making typos which tends to make very bad things happen, and I know some people who are notoriously bad at this (I have to check their work and clean out the typos on a regular basis) and some people are really good at this.

However, this is not actual programming, nowhere near actual programming. This is something that can be mostly crowdsourced and save the developers a lot of time.

Quote:
On 2013-04-28 00:09, Pantheon wrote:

I am currently working mainly with experiance with other games, but I am guessing the files for each individual ship is plaintext, each individual ship likely has either its own file, or they are all defined in one file which is highly unlikely for Darkspace but some games do it (such as Starpoint Gemini, a game very similar to Darkspace).

If memory serves me correctly, a ship will have individual lines defining the model (with texture), trails (and XYZ coords for them), Damage points (which show up as the orange sparks and such when a ship is damaged), shiptype, and all the individual gadgets and their arcs, orientation, and XYZ location.

The model, trails, and damage points are mostly irrellevant, they are each tailored to individual models and generally can be copy-pasted so long as you do not use a new model.

The gadgets are where the most pain comes in. Each ship has a different set of gadgets, and you have to define each individual one. This is where it becomes like database entry, your basically entering the gadgets into the list and making sure you do not make any typos.

The typo part is variable from person to person, some people cannot be trusted to touch a file without making at least one typo, while others are extremely meticulous.

Of course, the hardest part is Orientation and Coordinates. This requires a lot of testing (loading internal build, testing, making changes, than loading it again, etc.) in order to get just right. Given, the hardest part also cannot be outsourced, but surely you can save some time by giving people a list of ships, some basic formatting for putting in gadgets, and the community could likely do most of the easy, tedious work for you, just leaving the orientation/coordinates work to do. Even if it only cuts 5-10 minutes per ship, that would enormously help the team, no?

Quote:
On 2013-04-28 01:22, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

You assume too much.

Hm? Why are you so offended by the mere suggestion that some parts of Darkspace's development is not exactly rocket science?

You are wrong about 100% of everything you say, just so you know.

LUA scripting isn't the same as database entry. The game files are not in plain text, but encrypted hex files, and are serialised, so you can't just copy and paste.

I don't know what else to tell you other than you are just plain 100% wrong.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-28 09:54   
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 08:43, Pantheon wrote:
LUA scripting isn't the same as database entry. The game files are not in plain text, but encrypted hex files, and are serialised, so you can't just copy and paste.

Ship definition files might be in LUA Format/script, but its hardly actual LUA scripting. Your not using triggers, your basically just defining a particular object.

Also, the game files are in plaintext before you assemble/encrypt them, in which they become encrypted hex files. This is both to make the code run faster/better, and to stop curious people from snooping in on the inner workings of the game.

There is no need to make Darkspace's development seem like voodoo magic.

Goto the website of Novacat
Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-28 10:05   
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 09:54, Novacat wrote:
Quote:

Also, the game files are in plaintext before you assemble/encrypt them, in which they become encrypted hex files. This is both to make the code run faster/better, and to stop curious people from snooping in on the inner workings of the game.

Except they're not.

The game files before we assemble them are a unique file type that only the Resourcer program can read and manipulate, and as already mentioned access to the Resourcer requires a dev flag, and access to the port files themselves requires you to have access to our SVN trunk, which would let anyone have access to the entire game file, which we're not dumb enough to just hand out to everyone.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-04-28 10:24   
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 09:54, Novacat wrote:
Quote:

Ship definition files might be in LUA Format/script, but its hardly actual LUA scripting. Your not using triggers, your basically just defining a particular object.

There is no need to make Darkspace's development seem like voodoo magic.

They're not in plaintext. It's a proprietary format that the Resourcer can read.

There's no definition files, I have no idea what on Earth you are talking about.

I cannot express just how WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN this is.

You have no idea how this game is built, how its file system works, or how any of its proprietary tools work. Words cannot describe how wrong you are on just about everything you're talking about.

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-29 09:36   
[quote]On 2013-04-28 10:24, Pantheon wrote:
[quote]On 2013-04-28 09:54, Novacat wrote:
Quote:
SNIP

JACK FOR THE LOVE OF DARKSPACE CALM DOWN BEFORE YOU HAVE A HEART ATTACK!!!!!

Any who, Nova as its been said over and over the files are only usable by the DS resource program. WHICH IS NOT THE OLD MAPMAKER. About the only thing non dev team people can do it test out the builds out when they are finished, help kenny by making HIGH QUALITY (cant stress that any more) models for more ships, buy credits to keep DS afloat, and not be such a pain in the ass.

Because lets face it your basing your knowledge of DS off of old builds and other games, which is fundamentally going to be wrong. Lets take star port gemeni for example for one DS IS A MULTIPLAYER SERVER BASED GAME, where as gemeni is a client based RETAIL GAME. SO right off the bat all theories are thrown out the window because of the mindset the devs were in when the game was created (IE Here they have to worry about hackers, where as gemeni wouldnt care less because it means you bought their game. Where mods play) Next gemni is a 3D space sim, where as DS is a 3D, 2D playing field game (by no means a sim). So even with just those two little points throw out ANY comparision, best you coult even do is say that they are in space and have ships.

And lastly the code. Dont try and say you dont understand the code. When there is no way you could because you can even see it. Also did you know that games use different file types? The assassins creed games use .FORGE where as Planetside 2 uses .DLLs. SO you cant say that you have delt with something like DS when a Vast majority of games use different files types because of the game engine requirement, and OS it was designed for.

NOW FOR A SERIOUS QUESTION. How was the point system reworked? Cause im curious how ships compare now with the new talent system

Email *FTL*Soulless
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-29 11:29   
So Jim, what ever happened to that Fast Transport idea you had with less armor and an extra engine? Seems like the perfect time to bring it in. Could even do less cargo space instead of less armor in exchange for that extra engine, which would honestly make more sense.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-29 12:32   
Quote:
On 2013-04-28 08:21, Novacat wrote:

Offended? Hardly. Otherwise I would not have engaged you in debate or offered other suggestions. However, you are assuming too much that you know how the game works or what's good for it. Just remember, those are only your opinions, and are not facts or canon.

As always, your suggestions are noted. Whether or not they're considered, that's another story.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-29 14:24   
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 11:29, Talien wrote:
So Jim, what ever happened to that Fast Transport idea you had with less armor and an extra engine? Seems like the perfect time to bring it in. Could even do less cargo space instead of less armor in exchange for that extra engine, which would honestly make more sense.

seems like a pretty crazy idea, but I like it!

The Stig
1st Rear Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2013-04-30 06:14   
So, do I get the 10.5 cal. derp gun for my BC then?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.033967 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR