- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » bomb duds against targets at high latitudes?
 Author bomb duds against targets at high latitudes?
CocoaJin
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-10 15:01   
Its seems the farther away from the equator a target is, the more likely the bomb is a dud. It looks as if the bomb will impact, sometimes it even explodes, but apparently there is no damage delivered.

As far as I can tell, the bomb isnt being shot down, because I see no PD like weapon discharge and impact upon my bomb...it just seems to fizzle out.

Perhaps i wouldnt mind so much, except that im using a noob light bomber for the K'luth, I'm severly limited in my payload, so each dud increases the odds I have to make a trip back to a friendly planet in order to complete my objective.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-03-10 15:45   
If you're mashing B and trying to bomb a target that keeps flickering in and out of range, you can find yourself experiencing an edge case wherein your client thinks you're within range by a microsecond, but the server which will receive your movement's and command's ever so slightly behind when you tell it to, will not. So you fire a bomb, your client displays the bomb, but the server goes "I can't do that".

Since the server sends out all damage (clients only emulate ship to ship combat), you'll see a dud bomb hit the planet and do no damage, when in reality you've never fired it.

Higher latitudes just means the target is further away, and you're at a highest risk of being in that edge zone.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-10 16:28   
If you're real close to the planet and are firing at something at the very top or bottom the bomb may be hitting the planet but not the target spot because of the curvature. If you see the population drop but the target isn't damaged, this is likely the case.

CocoaJin
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-10 16:55   
i found that extending out to approx 250gu helped a lot.

Its interesting that the curvature of the planet can block bombs at higher latitudes considering I can seemingly launch bombs around the curvature for low latitude targets.

Either way, thanks for the info, it seems Im on the right track now...if only i was able to find some K'Luth to actually do something meaningful

Ive been bombing Ran since last night, I cant seem to put a dent into it and dont know where else i can participate to help my faction.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-10 17:16   
If you're having trouble finding people, you might want to try going into the ventral systems, that's where ~99% of the people here will hang out. AS put putting dents in planets, bomber ships don't have enough bombs to put a dent in planets by themselves until about the destroyer level, and K'luth don't have a bomber dessie, so you'll have to wait until you get the Clavate cruiser to do serious bomb damage.

Email Walrus of Apathy
CocoaJin
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-10 19:52   
what would be considered the ventral systems?

Flux Capacitor
Marshal

Posted: 2013-03-11 05:47   
your lungs are a ventral system....

also the chat can work to "vent" your opinions

Goto the website of Flux Capacitor
Page created in 0.014181 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR