- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Cloak Failing
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Cloak Failing
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-28 16:15   
Quote:

On 2013-03-28 15:08, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
Maybe you are just underestimating how talented some ICC are at accurate blindfire. Especially when combined with the cloak acceleration bug and pinging...

OR

You didn't get that the issue is mostly about AI . Cheers!

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-03-28 16:18   
Quote:

On 2013-03-28 15:08, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
Maybe you are just underestimating how talented some ICC are at accurate blindfire. Especially when combined with the cloak acceleration bug and pinging...

That's not a bug. I'm not quite sure why people keep stating it is.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-03-28 17:09   
Maybe invisible and intangible are not understood to be two different things?

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-03-28 20:10   
How mnay times will we have to repeat it's not about player to player, but player to AI? Anyway, let's drop this!

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-03-28 20:26   
AI cheat. Why has nobody figured this out before?

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-03-29 04:53   
Quote:

On 2013-03-28 20:10, Diabo|ik wrote:
How mnay times will we have to repeat it's not about player to player, but player to AI? Anyway, let's drop this!

AI cannot see what isn't there - just like players. When a player cloaks, their ship doesn't exist - only the collision sent back from the server exists.

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-03-29 11:16   
If he is talking about how ai still 'see' you and continue to shoot at you several seconds after you cloak,
That has been around since the beginning. It's latency caused and we've all had to get used to it.
Your client may say you are cloaked but on the server you haven't cloaked just yet, and the ai can still see you.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-03-29 11:26   
Quote:

On 2013-03-29 11:16, -xTc-.xisT *XO* wrote:
If he is talking about how ai still 'see' you and continue to shoot at you several seconds after you cloak,
That has been around since the beginning. It's latency caused and we've all had to get used to it.
Your client may say you are cloaked but on the server you haven't cloaked just yet, and the ai can still see you.

Exactly. Just jump out far enough. Relog.

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-03-29 15:29   
i remember our missles sigs were or did get there sig raised cause of latency or lag so why cant it be ajusted so we dont keep getting the crap beat out of us when we cloak, i mean i cloak then count to 5 after 0 sig and still the ai pound me just think what the players can do and it wasn't that much of an issue untill the last big rework of the eccm cloak sig stuff. sorry if it sound like i'm being rude but it's realy anoying. also theres is an issue were we uncloak after being cloaked for a bit like a couple of minutes atleast we magicly un cloak. i know ive heard it's lag, latency but wouldnt that be like in a shorter time like idk30 seconds in after i cloak then it would show me incloaked not like minutes later.
[ This Message was edited by: Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC* on 2013-03-29 15:33 ]

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-03-29 17:52   
It should be no more than double your latency (round trip), not in the region of 5 seconds (5000 ms). You add that time to whatever message you send to the server, and then the server sends this information to all the other players. In regards to AI, they don't have latency as they are running on the server so they get the information immediately.

You have to remember that larger ships can take up to and beyond 7 seconds to cloak once you initiate the cloak - just because your ship looks like it's cloaked doesn't mean the signature is at 0 yet.

AI don't do anything special compared to a player. If the AI cannot see the diamond, they cannot shoot you (they don't even blind fire). They can't even cheat, as they have no idea where the player is when cloaked (Kenny demonstrated this when he checked to see if he could see cloaked ships when he enabled wireframe - and he couldn't).

I cannot stress enough how there is no issue between AI and cloak, and what you are likely experiencing is latency - and there is nothing in the world we can do about that. There was even an interview at PAX this year with DICE's chief technology officer detailing how latency is still a massive issue on online games, and he wasn't talking about ping in the hundreds - he was talking about any latency at all.

He explained how you can try and hide it as much as you can, but at the end of the day you simply can't do anything about it. If the player thinks he's just ducked behind a wall and then dies, the player will cuss and scream and blame the game and hit registration - but in actual fact, it's most likely their internet.

It sucks, it's not fun, and I'm sure it'd make every game developer in the world happy if latency was a non-issue. But it is, and in some cases if your internet hiccups, you will experience odd behaviour.

In regards to the uncloak bug - I have spent a ridiculous amount of time debugging it, and I haven't experienced the issue once. I've read over the code countless times, and it's ridiculously bulletproof. I simply can't fix this if I don't have reproduction steps that get it to happen at least 25% of the time when you do them. I've tried everything from telling AI to decloak, from getting alt accounts to decloak, to shooting, to wasting energy - nothing gets me to decloak other than me telling the device to deactivate, or it damaging itself to the point where it's considered destroyed.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-03-29 17:55 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-03-30 00:48   
if you are a k'luth and are bothered by issues with cloak/latency, now is the best time to join UGTO and fight with a playstyle unaffected by lag.

lag doesn't bother UGTO, UGTO bothers lag!

even ICC are bothered by lag because it affects their speed of shield rotation.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-03-30 16:52   
We've located a possible edge case scenario where a player may receive an update 500 ms late and in doing so not simulate the cloak correctly.

I've commited a test fix to beta, so if those experiencing it often could go in there and test it for me that would be most appreciated.

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2013-03-31 00:38   
Quote:

On 2013-03-30 00:48, Mike Paradox wrote:
if you are a k'luth and are bothered by issues with cloak/latency, now is the best time to join UGTO and fight with a playstyle unaffected by lag.

lag doesn't bother UGTO, UGTO bothers lag!

even ICC are bothered by lag because it affects their speed of shield rotation.

U die easy

Quote:

On 2013-03-30 16:52, Pantheon wrote:
We've located a possible edge case scenario where a player may receive an update 500 ms late and in doing so not simulate the cloak correctly.

I've commited a test fix to beta, so if those experiencing it often could go in there and test it for me that would be most appreciated.

Sounds about right.
[ This Message was edited by: -DBS on 2013-03-31 00:39 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.027664 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR