- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +17.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Supply ship survivabilty
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Supply ship survivabilty
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-24 13:24   
Supply ships.

They have the armor and shielding of a scout.
The hull of a frigate.
The speed of a destroyer.
The maneuverability of a cruiser.
The acceleration of a cruiser.
And the jump drive charge time of a cruiser...

If you're flying as ICC or UGTO, you're basically the most tempting target for anything below a k'luth dread.

K'luth cruisers can jump more often than you.
K'luth cruisers can destroy you in 1 alpha (if enhanced)
K'luth destroyers are impossible to shake and easily track you into deep space.

I'm not sure how to utilize supply ships except to remain out in deep space and rendezvous with friendly ships who jump way out from the battle.
Often times, even then, your ally will be tracked, and when the rest of the k'luth jump in, your jump drives wont even be 30% charged.

So the question I guess is:
How do you use human supply vessels to best effect?
How can you be useful to the team if you are hunted relentlessly?
They can even assassinate you from the top of a station from what I have seen.

This is yet another reason why I just go k'luth and cloak my worries away.
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-04-24 13:31 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-04-24 14:06   
Quite simply you don't use them for the reasons you stated, unless you don't mind dying every few minutes or camping ontop of a Station and still dying occasionally when a Siphon decloaks, also ontop of the station, and vaporizes you with a beam alpha.

Really not much point in setting up outside the combat area and having people jump to you for repairs, that's what repair platforms are for. You'd be better off in pretty much any other ship directly contributing to whatever fighting is going on.

Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2013-04-24 14:47   
let me point out some positives

you rep your teammates in combat, enemy shooting you will also save your friends from hurt. giving them a bit of advantage. if you see kluth uncloaking on time and are able to jump out. any kluth that will go after you will be the missing firepower hitting your team. then again if they are good pointjumper you die. yet one kluth is out of battle for some time. so are you. but you will eventually rep and get back in. i think there is no press loss for suppies.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-04-24 14:51   
Speaking for myself. Whenever I enter a supply ship on the ICC side I understand that I am taking my life, metaphorically speaking, into my own hands. I do not expect to come out of the fight alive. My goal is to sacrifice my life in order to restore the lives of the other ships.

That is just my own perspective. Take from it what you will.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-24 14:53   
Try being a kluth supply

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-04-24 15:04   
back in my day our supplies were engineers. 1 reload, 1 pulse beam, 1 heavy armor.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-04-24 15:09   
Sounds about right.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-04-24 17:22   
I agree with Sheraton, when I pull a supply ship I accept the fact that it's only a matter of time before I die. (If in combat) The life of a combat supply is hard but can make a big difference for your teammates(risk vs reward)

And yes, flying as combat supply as kluth is much harder and is mostly suicidal

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2013-04-24 17:58   
teamwork

supply ships should stick near dreadnaughts and use them as shields. youre faster and more maneoverable than the dread, so you can easily get around it when an enemy appears. if a smaller ship needs repairs they should come to you, since theyre better able to.

likewise, teammates should be looking out for you since you are a part of the fleet, just as they would look out for one another.

otherwise: ships go boom boom all the time, you absolutely will be targeted. if not because you are making killing everyone else difficult than in recognition that if you explode next to a dreadnaught its going to put some hurt on that dread.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-24 19:19   
I think you lose 50 prestige if you die in a supply, and it takes a fair bit of game time to get that if you are not very high ranked.

Unless you can stay alive long enough to see a dread or two repaired to full health, you'll be at a loss overall.

I often wonder, what is the point? We've only found supplies to be truly necessary on long excursions into enemy territory, where supply is a very real issue, and that little gem is the only thing that will allow your fleet to continue on deep into enemy territory. Beyond that, though? Not remarkably useful.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-04-24 19:22 ]

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-24 19:46   
Supply Ships used to be absolutely critical to doing anything, up until the introduction of supply platforms made them somewhat obsolete. Which is a bit of a bad thing, supply ships used to be very good newbie prestige, and probably the easiest ship to fly.

Infact, I never really understood why Engineers were available at Midshipman, but you needed 2nd Lieutenant to get the lowest Supply ship, when Engineers require a near mastery of Darkspace's mechanics to use properly while a supply ship is as easy as hitting J and then Y.

Goto the website of Novacat
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-24 21:35   
popping supply ships are fun yo!

Email Borgie
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-25 10:27   
it's fun for the one shooting it, not so much for supply ship.
Wouldn't be much of a concern if they didn't lose prestige, but they do.

Supply ships for UGTO see the most use, since they can repair the slightest damage.
Supply ships for ICC are kinda meh. They can restock ammo most importantly, but that doesn't give much prestige.
Supply ships for K'Luth feel almost pointless since ships hull repair from under cloak, and they can't restock AHR.

I think I'd like to see a change to the supply ship system, as well as having a step between the current supply ship and the support station, which is a huge gap.
-Drones to restock ammo and repair hull (Gives the most prestige)
-Shield chargers/Armor welders to repair the outer layers of a ship (Gives the least prestige)

Rain of Fire [O-XII]
Grand Admiral

From: South of Klaus, 14,000 gu from Insanity and 3,000 from Desperation.
Posted: 2013-04-25 11:54   
When flying as a Supply ship (the noblest of profesions lol) I accept that everyone and their brother is going to be going after me. BUT, I also recognise that the supply has one major thing in it's favor.

It has repair drones. Seriously, that's really it. That one fact offset's it's inherently fragile nature because it can repair itself, while jumping away.
And for that matter, you can even resupply your own JD while your jumping.

So, I usually sit either in the center of the dread/stat&dread/cruiser squadon/group, repairing whoever needs it most (most damaged) or whoever is being the damage sink for the moment. If anyone tries to jump me, which I know that SOMEBODY *will*, I will immediately point jump away, and set my repair drones to myself. As I only play the heavy supply varient(with 2 reload drones) I usually have an extremely good chance of getting away in one piece. Plus, I can outjump them no matter WHAT they do(the reload drones). I was once on ICC resupplying a wounded CD during a battle with Siphons, and one uncloaked and lased me before I could jump out, on a previously wounded shield arc. I got away with 2% hull, that went to 70+% before I had managed to jump back. (I know it wasn't over 90%, but it had gotten close)

On 2012-11-06 20:23, Tael wrote:
\"Depends who you asked... Praetorian, KC, a few others, and myself use to sit in the lobby and talk out the game...

Convinced more than one new person initially this was a text game. \"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-27 00:29   

I've always said this. Supp ships are a force multiplier. In fleet action, having one or even two suppies supporting the heavy hitters can mean the difference between victory and defeat. This effect is multiplied especially for UGTO, less the other factions.

This is why Uggie suppies tend to be prime targets.

In actual war, medics (besides officers) are often the target of snipers, Geneva Convention be damned. Just gotta live with it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021957 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR