No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +12.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Gem in the Rough#2: ICC Border Cruiser(ECM)
 Author Gem in the Rough#2: ICC Border Cruiser(ECM)
Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-25 02:24   
ICC Border Cruiser is a EW Sniper extremely suited to fighting Kaus(center of metaverse):

-Forgoing armor entirely, @8 shields, mass/acceleration of a dressy, agility of a frig. During my tests, easily avoiding 75-85% of Dread fire when ship >300gu !!

-4heavy guss canons,3guss,4Cl. Stock ship hit out to 1380gu.

-Most importantly ship comes with 3 ECCM, which u can convert to ECM!!

Guiding Principle
The Border Crusier is the embodiment of ICC ideals: use of zero-mass shield to enhance ship agilty, long range weaponry, and blinding amount of EW.
EW has alway been ICC strong suit, the problem is that most EW ship lack fire power or survivablity. If ur get a Sensor Frig, u Combat ability is virtually zero.

Border Cruiser amends this, it's got the exact same long range fire power as a Heavy cruiser (u can swap to railguns for slightly higher damg, but u loose range) It does lose the mid range fusion torps, but u wont close enough to the enemy to use em anyway(-550gu)

Tactics to Use this ship:
In solo, turn off 1/2 ur shields, off all 3 Aux gen, @10gu u can fire all 4 Heavy Guss with Negative Sig.!!!!
Keep the reactive shields that comes stock, they have lower sig. Full broad sides while bring u sllightly over, but the instant ur stop firing, the enemy will loose their target lock(which maybe even more annoying. good counter agianst Ganglia missiles.

Pair with a 2nd Border Cruiser, or better a Strike Cruiser (ion canon) with 1ECM, or a Missile dressy snipe enemy target from beyond 1000gu.

My personal Super Custom Version:
Stealth module, lower sig by 15%
7 ECM/ECCM signal amplifiers boost my ECM by 42%
It's abit expensive, but I can run at FULL speed, fire full broad side and stay @-2.0-3.0 sig in any system(not just Kaus)!!!

there's also an cheaper verison(unconfirmed) by loading spare weapon condensers, they reduce the energy ur weapon use when they fire, and thereby lowering ur sig.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-25 03:05   
Good setup on paper, but not very practical in the field imo, especially against bugs. Different mods for different folks though. I use an entirely different setup and also a different methodology to using the Border Cruiser.

Mods:
-Outer shield layer: active shields for tanking high damage/unavoidable attacks.
-Inner shield layer: reactive shields for energy efficiency and quick shield regen.
-Full ECCM for fighting bugs.
-Full set of rail guns for max dps and energy efficiency.

Enhancements:
Personal Favorite:
-x1 Trail
-x7 Makkar Ship Boosters

Alternate setup:
-x1 Trail
-x3 Makkar Ship Boosters or Advanced Engine Tuners
-x4 Advanced Defence or Advanced Weapon Enhancements

The first setup is my personal favorite because outside of beam range you can easily dodge most enemy fire directed at you. Another plus is being able to easily run down enemy destroyers and other cruisers and easily stay on their tail. The alternate setup is a more balanced configuration that can be tailored to pilots individual play style.

Tactics

Best bet with this configuration is to stay at a range where you can reliably hit an enemy ship with your rail guns, but avoid the enemy return fire. This is rather easy to do with most UGTO dreads and cruisers, but it gets tricky sometimes when fighting a skilled K'luth pilot.

-If you are dealing with an enemy scale, try to avoid their torpedos as that is their main source of damage. Easiest way to do this is to get behind them. Cloak makes this hard to do, but remember, if you force them to cloak your shields regen at a much higher rate then their armor does. The more time they spend cloaked is better for you.

-If a mandible suddenly uncloaks behind you, tank the initial salvo or two on your active shields and get range so you can dodge the rest of their fire. Again the mandible relies mainly on torps for DPS so try to avoid getting hit by those if possible. Once you get to a comfortable dodging range, fire until they cloak or jump you. If they jump you, just repeat the process.

-Finally we have the mighty and deadly siphon. If you happen to have one of these beasts uncloak behind you, there is two things you can do. You can try to out tank the impending beam alphas and get range, or e-jump and hope they don't get to close if they decide to follow you. Each option has its pro's and con's. Each one works in different situations, just decide quickly what you are going to do and think on your feet and be prepared to adapt to the situation.

sorry for the rant/wall of text, but figured I'd share my thoughts on the mighty Border Cruiser. Hope someone finds it useful.

[ This Message was edited by: Brutality on 2013-04-25 03:18 ]

Rain of Fire [O-XII]
Grand Admiral

From: South of Klaus, 14,000 gu from Insanity and 3,000 from Desperation.
Posted: 2013-04-25 11:36   
Sadly, that shield loadout is no longer effective.
Instead, go active active, but keep the shield control setup. You gain an extra 2+ siphon alphas, and you actually recharge faster than with active reactive. (reactive is broke D:)

Also, it is best to pair the BC with either another BC(at which point me and a friend can hide an assault dreadnaught :3) or a missile frigate, which not only lets you lend your negative sig to other allied units, but give you longer striking range.

Also, another (important) tactic for the BC is to shut off your...*gasp* shields. it means you will get -4 more sig with 3 ECM on, and you will be able to fire full salvoes without breaking 0 sig. You usually would do this if your tasked to scout an area ahead of any dreadnaughts/stations, a role for which the BC excells at. And if you get caught, immediatly rase your shields, drop your ECM, and start firing.
Also, with enough range boosters you can get upwards of 1550 gu range for your gaus cannons, making the BC perfect for engaging plat bases when your assaulting a dug in enemy station.

*My BC loadout*

1x Benchford buish
3x advanced ammo racks
1 +5 speed (I believe)
3 +5 range
---------------
All rail for normal operations
Gauss for scouting/platform clearing

Active outer active inner shields

3 ECM

AFE drives for quick acceleration

1 PL 3 CL
[ This Message was edited by: Oceans of Steel, Rain of Fire on 2013-04-25 11:43 ]
On 2012-11-06 20:23, Tael wrote:
\"Depends who you asked... Praetorian, KC, a few others, and myself use to sit in the lobby and talk out the game...

Convinced more than one new person initially this was a text game. \"

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-25 12:45   
Reactive shields should use less energy and have lower signature then active.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-27 01:46   
This will work right up until someone does A, B or C.

A. tanks your piddly DPS
B. moves into smaller ships
C. Switches to K'luth

To be honest, the Border Cruiser doesn't work as well as the heavy cruiser. the total reliance on energy-consuming shield systems doesn't wash well when trying to move fast and fire off weaponry. Combine this with a lack of Torpedoes... HC is better then BrC.

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-27 04:28   
Just went through an excruciatingly long 4th test with the Stealth Border Cruiser agianst mostly kluth and 2 ugto players.

I took a few hrs to cool off so as to be as impartial as possible:

I'm confident to report that the [Stealth Module+7 SignalAmp Enhanmnts] Border Cruisier has greatly excced my expectation of it. It's variablity in EW combat and its surviablity is truly astonishing.

Single Combat secton:
its low signature makes it the PERFECT counter to the kluth missile dread Ganglia. In longrange combat heavy ECM has consistantly broken the Ganglias target lock, nullifying it's powerful missiles. Force Ganglia to waste pointjumps to engage close range, which w/ the BrdCrusie simply shortjump 1000gu way and continue to scrape away its armor w/ it heavy guss and rails.

Even in close range combat, the fluid shield def of the BrdCrusier its enemy would have to get through not 2 plates of shields but 8 in order to do hulldamg. And the time enemy waste in regaining target lock is time my shield uses to speedly recharge. I often Counter poinjumped Gangs inside missile MIN range, hull/force cloak, and dash out to 500gu where my ECM hides me agian. (do it to Gangs, only Psi canons, not to siphs w/ Asltruper and torps)

In combating small ships (Fought ugto gundressy, kluth Claw), the BrdCrusie also excels, its high speed heavy guss gets remarkable rate of hits while Enemy Psi canon & ParticleCanons mostly miss in mid-longrange dogfights. Low damg of the small ships allow u to fully exploit ur shield rotation/recharge advantage. (ugto dressy killed, Claw to 19% hull w/ me at 87%hull before i got ganged up on by siph.

And anytime u get ganged up on, just jump. The heavy ECM ensures u'll never get tracked successfully. ^_^

To conclude the singles combat:
Not to give in impression i never died, died plenty, but mostly due to pilot error. Which could be summed up in 3 sentences
1.) dont combat/jump next to planets.
2.)watch out for AI/Idiotplayer with ECCM on ur ownside (died 2times from moron AI to "Def Delando" w/ their eccm)
3.) only way for enemy to target u is for em to throw away their dreads and get a smallership as "spoters". Which is kinda the whole point for this, to cure Dreadspace!!
[ This Message was edited by: Delando on 2013-04-27 05:31 ]

Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-27 05:12   
Electronic Warfare Section:

BrdCrusier is very versatile (ECCM/ECM/NarrowBand/Focused swap) and powerfully potent (42% ECCM/ECM amplfier x 3 EW slots+ 15%sig reduct)

Focused ECM(single target, highstrength)
Test#1
ICC Missile Cruiser @5.7gu spd, Fireing full solvo, signature peak = -0.4

Test#2
ICC Missile Dread @0.0gu sped, Shield off, Aux Gen off, Stargger fire@3harpex missle/sec, signature peak= -0.8

Note: Invisible Missile barrage, thought to be impossile since 1.483 update achiceved!!! But single target nature of Focused ECM does leave me uncovered, considering mixing Focused and normal ECM.

Focused ECM(1),ECM(2)mix
Test#3
ICC Assult Dread @0.0gu sped, Shield on, Full Ion Cannon solvo, Sig 0.2

Test#4 (Impending)
ICC Strike Cruiser@ lowspeds, shield off, Aux Gen off, Sig ???

Above is my idea of ECMed Sniper teams. ^_^

ECCM
Test for a 1man ECCM-fort for anti-kluth , got some crazy results
3 amp ECCM signature increase ~400gu radius: +21.9 sig

Foused ECCM
Idea for a "Beaconer" crusier , targets a single enemy (kluth Dread) @450gu and instantly increasing its Sig: +32.8

I remember the cloaking device works at around 3 -4 Sig/sec (plz correct me if i didnt get it right), therefore Focused ECCM Ping add a full 10 sec to the cloak timer.

All above tests conducted in Kaus sector(middle of metaverse)
(sorry for double post, the single combat sec was too long. I wasent expecting this ship to be this good.)

Next up:
ECM amped / stealthed Strike cruser sniper-- kinda iffy, only 1ecm slot
ECM amped/Stealth Scale invisible AM torp barage

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-27 07:17   
a well flown scale can rip a part a border cruiser, i have one modded that is faster then a dessie, turns like a dessie, but has the dps of a cruiser, plus with a few extra dps enhancements it can shred icc cruisers, and destroyers

Email Borgie
Delando
Marshal

Posted: 2013-04-27 09:40   
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 07:17, Borgie wrote:
a well flown scale can rip a part a border cruiser, i have one modded that is faster then a dessie, turns like a dessie, but has the dps of a cruiser, plus with a few extra dps enhancements it can shred icc cruisers, and destroyers

I tend to agree with this, idealy the best counter to a light crusier like a BrdCrusier is a Aslt Crusier that can keep up with it in Spd and jd recharge rate. If u can find me through my ECM and keep a solid target lock on me.

And part of my interest in the BrdCrusier was that it would force Dread pilots to take smaller ships in order to engage me effectively.

So i'll be more than happy to see veteran players like u to come test out ur statment in combat.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-04-27 14:34   
was doing that last night, had 7 kills with my scale, a few cruisers and destroyers

Email Borgie
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-04-27 19:00   
Boarder cruiser is ROXOR.

Needs to work in groups of two or three.

Ask brutal to share with you how to set up your shields on numbers, and how to properly apply dps, and when to use shields, and when to just dodge... (Dodge is more than going left and right... you can also speed up and slow down.. anything that creates anomolies in the enemies firing solution.)
[ This Message was edited by: CM7 on 2013-04-27 19:02 ]

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-04-27 21:46   
Greetings Darkspace,

I was present flying an ICC supply when Delando was testing his enhanced Strike Cruiser with stealth module and signal amplifiers. I was at first curious as to the reason for his slow movement and almost sitting in one spot for ages, i jumped over and then found out why (probably blew his cover then : P ). I was impressed with the tactics, i realised what was going on and my first thought was to shut off my shields to help keep our signiature low, it was negative and we managed to creep up on a certain player K'Luth dread very close, weapons range around 1300gu and closer. I was just there effectively as an observer and repair backup but i can easily see that these tactics are effective and do work in the metaverse, this was in Kaus Borealis by the way.

This is a good strategy which teamplay would make most effective, especially using such ships to hit a target in a crossfire with visible ships acting as a distraction.

Watch your six Lootiez as the hunter can become the hunted! : )

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan ORP on 2013-04-27 21:58 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Page created in 0.023391 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR