Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Camera smoothing
 Author Camera smoothing
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-27 23:28   
The camera in this game seems a bit rough and imprecise.
If you press CTRL then click, the camera suddenly jerks.

Most of you have probably grown accustomed to it, but I can tell you from feedback that I receive that the current behavior of the camera seems very "flimsy" and "cheap"

You notice when you pan the nav screen or pitch the camera angle in combat? It's prone to make these very large jumps in view angle by several degrees per tick.

The game seems to take mouse input directly, but I think having some smoothing variables would make things look a lot nicer and give the camera and nav screen a bit of weight.

Make it optional, of course, but I'm telling you it will give the game a much more professional quality.

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-04-28 00:09   
ive had the same issue but kinda just adapted. however recentl we installed another processor and has helped alot. but bever thought about it untill your post. i'm not saying it's your pc, it's just mine has improved.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-04-28 07:57   
That's interesting that the processor improved it, I wonder if it has something to do with frame rate? I get a pretty good frame rate I think, it runs smoothly enough that I don't notice it.

I've adapted and gotten used to it myself, and I'm not the kind of gamer that wants everything served to me on a silver platter, but it comes up a lot when I get feedback from people that I encouraged to try the game, and most of those people have busy lives and games like this aren't worth their time, I guess.

Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-05-01 20:09   
ya f2 is laggish but i use z ans x instead of mouse works better for some reason but the camera jitter seems to happen when i move the camera around but i f i move it and stop it's fine. bit it's not realy that bad for me.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-01 20:28   
Greets Darkspacekateers,

I have noticed that in Navigation (map) mode there is significant lag and yes for me also z and x work quicker and better than the scroll on the mouse.

I also have an opinion regarding the 'target' view tracking camera. Tracking is smooth but any target over around 600gu is visually off screen and only the targeting diamond and object description is visible. It would be really nice if possible if the targeted object would be in view more centred in the screen. From a visual point of view it is nice to lock on and track distant objects whilst flying a different trajectory. Also from a combat point of view if in a long range ship the target and any incoming fire only becomes visible under around 600gu, to keep an eye on contacts around 1200gu and greater out i gotta keep manually shiftin my camera with the mouse in free mode. It would be nice if the target point of view were to be slightly lower down to give a slightly greater field of view of the immediate field of combat.

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-01 20:38   
Think it might just be frame rate as I have never really seen a huge lag in f2, but maybe it's just me.

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-01 21:30   
Pentium 4 HT with Nvidia GeForce 6200 runnin XP
that's how I roll,
so you know what folks, i guess lag could be me! : )

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
The Stig
1st Rear Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2013-05-02 06:22   
most "lag" issues are due to players not wanting to admit to themselves that their video card is a piece of 4+ year old crap. If you are using mobo video then you most likely do get jerks. It also could be your mouse. I notice a difference between my old ball style, laser, and cordless laser mice in different games.

But framerate is probably the biggest issue players don't understand that they have. You dont need some spectacular card to play this game (though there are a few modern perks). I have a nvidea 450 and it runs this like purdy purdy.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-02 06:35   
It has nothing to do with framerate. He's talking about the gulfs of space the camera jumps when you move it - I looked into this a few years back, didn't know enough back then - looked into it now, and struggling to understands why it won't do what I want.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-02 07:16   
Quote:
On 2013-05-02 06:35, Pantheon wrote:
It has nothing to do with framerate. He's talking about the gulfs of space the camera jumps when you move it - I looked into this a few years back, didn't know enough back then - looked into it now, and struggling to understands why it won't do what I want.

Scowl at it more.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-02 15:06   
Quote:

ah make sense. Guess I should stop jumping to conclusions.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-03 02:05   
Quote:

You got it.
Not just the panning movement, but to a lesser extent the rotational movement.
If you watch the background stars when you spin the view they make huge leaps at the smallest movement of the mouse.

Page created in 0.027687 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR