No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A View From The Bridge (and other ideas...)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author A View From The Bridge (and other ideas...)
Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-06 15:19   
Greetings All

I am writing this post to find out from the community what thoughts are regarding the inclusion of a 'first-person' style, more flight sim view, essentially a Bridge view, a full screen 180 (or even 90 degree) front view where ideally each faction would have their own HUD layout complete with fonts and slightly different systems layout for each faction. This could even be as simple as using the 'Follow' view but removing the ship so we have that 'I'm at the helm of a starship' feeling.

I am sure in its long history this subject or something similar to it has come up before but as so many changes are on the way i wanted to see how the present community and staff feel about this.

I know I have always longed for this as Darkspace is a highly complex tactical and strategic game with live action but the present camera views where I can see my ship makes me feel like it is an arcade game.

I feel I have to make believe that the different camera views are made up by numerous 'camera-drones' that fly alongside my ship and are a technology of the day that enables Ship Captains to better navigate but it would feel so nice to just cruise and see my ship from where the bridge is positioned on it (be it mast or front of vessel or whatever)

Secondly regarding these then existing 'camera-drones' that make up ALL of our present viewpoints, perhaps they could be affected by battle in some way.

Imagine the development of a rare special weapon available to all factions which is capable of knocking out one or more of these cam-drones (effectively disabling one, two or all three of the TAB) views for a short period of time, say between 5 to 15 secs... (a long time when blind...) before the affected ship redeploys a new set of cam-drones to regain 'vision'. This could work as a shipsubsytem that could be damaged and then repaired. You would see your hud as normal but your view would be replaced by white noise or just black screen for the length of time it took to redeploy backup ship cameras. - this could add tension and some extra dread to being hulled!

Anyhow food for thought, I would just like to know how the community felt about these proposed ideas.

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-06 15:44   
Problem with large ideas like this is that is would take a ton of work and I think the Devs are focusing on other things at the moment. Great idea though.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-06 15:51   
It would require a fair bit of work, and when I tried it, it looked ducked up beyond all recognition. Due to the movement of the ships, it just doesn't look right.

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-06 16:03   
I appreciate the consideration, especially with all the 1.7 work going on right now.

I can imagine the difficulties of just using the follow cam for this as the ship model movement in turning left and right from standstill seems a little jerky, that's probably what you meant by 'not looking right'. I guess it would require some form of smoothing to get that look correct which is not really a main consideration right now due to the body of work involved for 1.7.

I am glad to hear that I am not alone in the idea of having a usable bridge view and that staff have already spent some time on it previously.

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-06 16:13   
Personally I'm not a big fan of this idea, I don't see how it would possibly be useful because it would greatly limit your awareness of anything not directly infront of you.

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-06 16:32   
Yes this view could be limiting and be purely cosmetic to add atmosphere (there could even be a radar view to 1500gu on this screen but that should be another topic and could be potentially controversial) but remember that as it would be a bridge view, the captain must be able to be made aware of his/her surroundings at all times so presumably camera pan would still be active, this would not necessarily be just a fixed view.

The improvement is in the fact that the follow view when zoomed in full involves your own ship blocking the bottom half of the view. Without this 3d model onscreen you feel right in there closer to the action, especially with enemy fire heading your way!

Lastly it could be said that using this new view would be a personal choice, like when in orbit round a planet or just engineering a platform or even just cruisin and wanting to see the wonderful views in Darkspace with no distractions.

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-05-06 16:47   
like the idea of a bridge cam or in board cam but don't see it happing. i would think it would be alot of work gotta have kluth avatar models with 4 arms then human modles then inside of kluth and human ships would be like but wow at the work involved. but i do like the idead so +1 on that.

Email Died~2000~Deaths[+R]*CC*
Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-06 17:48   
I love the idea, but I fear it would make the game nar unplayable in a sense cause you couldn't see anything beside you so how do you attack other targets or even know they are there....

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-06 18:15   
This game is a bit too fast-paced for a bridge view.
Bridge commander had one, but it was always better to take manual control and get more visibility.

When you look down on yourself, I figure that is more of a computer simulation of your ship in the current battlefield. That ship you see isn't you, you're sitting inside of it, the computer just generates a visual representation so that you have a more detailed view of battle.

If that were the case though, then everything would be optimized for that role alone, and not have all these fancy distracting graphics.

If battles were slower, and the time between alphas was on the order of say.. 20 seconds, then it would be much much more viable for such things as walking around the ship and on the bridge.

[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-05-06 18:17 ]

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-05-06 18:29   
This kind of bridge view as initially suggested would be an optional addition, accessable not through TAB but via a different key press, players would be free to use it as they see fit, even if just for 'chillin'.

As I said before camera pan inside this view should be active as would the HUD as an overlay (so combat target diamonds if offscreen would indicate if contacts were left or right of your position as is) so it wouldn't limit play in any way. It would display a similar view but minus the ship model.

Nothing present (and this includes all TAB views) would be lost so how can this be anyworse than already is?

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-05-06 18:49   
Quote:
On 2013-05-06 18:29, Orkan ORP wrote:
This kind of bridge view as initially suggested would be an optional addition, accessable not through TAB but via a different key press, players would be free to use it as they see fit, even if just for 'chillin'.

As I said before camera pan inside this view should be active as would the HUD as an overlay (so combat target diamonds if offscreen would indicate if contacts were left or right of your position as is) so it wouldn't limit play in any way. It would display a similar view but minus the ship model.

Nothing present (and this includes all TAB views) would be lost so how can this be anyworse than already is?

Time would be lost. Time that could be spent on far more useful and more important things.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-05-06 19:46   
Touche. If we want a bridge view. I think the best thing to do is still to go back and play Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which I routinely do.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-06 20:12   
Quote:
On 2013-05-06 19:46, Sheraton *XO* wrote:
Touche. If we want a bridge view. I think the best thing to do is still to go back and play Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which I routinely do.

Go find and download the Maximum Warp Edition mod, increases Bridge Commander's awesomeness many times over.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-05-06 21:42   

IMO, it's a cosmetic change. But as Jack says, due to the 2D movement of ships in DS, it'd look clumsy.

Most importantly, it doesn't add anything to the game.

BLADERUNNER2019
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2013-05-06 22:23   
First Person view would be very excellent feature!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031520 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR