No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Decommission platforms
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Decommission platforms
PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-13 16:08   
Could we have a way to deconstruct/scrap/recycle platforms?

At the moment the best way to do so without any loss of prestige is to tractor them into the planet, and this is sometimes necessary (despite the exploitation potential) when platforms are needed on the front line, not on some shipyard 4 systems back.
The other way is to blow them up, and only players who have more prestige than they know what to do with tend to do this.

The 30 platform limit makes it necessary to remove current platforms (unless you can find a way to let engineers transport them more reliably than tractors allow.
Also, the platforms appear to take up AI slots, so you'll find your fleet start to vanish.

There is a prestige farming potential in being able to deconstruct platforms out in deep space, but there already is one in effect right now on platforms built around planets, so it's besides the point.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-05-13 17:19   
You can also just blow them up with your ships weapons. It gets you a little friendly fire but not enough to be overly concerned about.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-13 17:21   
says the full def AD grand admiral, FF is nothing to worry about, infact it is it can really hurt your pres, and it builds up... i agree there should be a way to decomission them

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-05-13 19:08   
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 17:21, Taelon*RO* wrote:
says the full def AD grand admiral, FF is nothing to worry about, infact it is it can really hurt your pres, and it builds up... i agree there should be a way to decomission them

I don't see what my enhancements have to do with anything in this matter.

Yes it can add up but if you are in that desperate need of plats I find blowing them up to be an efficient way of clearing out unecessary one's so you can build plats where you need them. Either that or tractor them into planets, or wait for them to go away on their own. You could of course also just let enemy AI kill them off but that is not always a time efficient method of solving the problem.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-05-13 19:16   
To decommission plats would require negative pres unfortunately, just like scrapping structures.
Otherwise come 1.7 I could put 8x adv build drones on my tier 3 engi, go to homeserver, build 30 plats in less than 10 mins, decommission, rebuild, decommission, rebuild, etc.

Null Pointer
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-13 19:22   
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 19:16, -xTc-.xisT *XO* wrote:
To decommission plats would require negative pres unfortunately, just like scrapping structures.
Otherwise come 1.7 I could put 8x adv build drones on my tier 3 engi, go to homeserver, build 30 plats in less than 10 mins, decommission, rebuild, decommission, rebuild, etc.

Exactly. If you could decommission without worry, you'd find that people would exploit this for easy Engineering Prestige. But I do agree, this would be a good feature. Maybe subtract the same amount of prestige as it gives to build it.

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-13 20:14   
true, you would have to take off same amount it costs to build, but would be unfair to the one who decontructed it, if they didnt build it

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-05-13 20:34   
I'd imagine the one scrapping it would either be the one rebuilding it or the one who built it to begin with.

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-14 02:16   
Why would decommissioning without penalty be prone to exploitation when you can currently do that right now by flinging them into a planet?

In fact, if you are after prestige farming, it's better to be by a planet anyways so your mining beams can be utilized...

This will change nothing in exploitability, it will just let ships with weak weapons (like an engineer) to deconstruct platforms.

Keep in mind that building still takes RESOURCES and TIME, the second being a valuble commodity to some people, and if they wanna waste it doing a stupid thing like re-building platforms in the same spot instead of something productive, well, what can I say?

It's really the fault of the game for not making productive game play more rewarding.
Play to win, not play for prestige farming, and reward players more for doing so.

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-14 02:16   
Seems reasonable as long as negative pres is given like what has been said above to prevent the system from being exploited.

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-14 10:52   
Towing friendly platforms into a planet needs to cause damage to prestige then.
It should be equal to what it would cost to scrap it.

One of the problems with penalizing this though, is that, you can end up losing prestige for a mess somebody else made, such as having to clear up poorly placed platforms. Same goes for buildings, though the culprit is usually the AI.

Also, what if the previous set of platforms served their purpose successfully, and the engineer scraps them to build more up on the front line?
Should the engineer be punished with NO net prestige gain for needing to relocate platforms which were helpful to the team?

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2013-05-14 15:36   
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 19:16, -xTc-.xisT *XO* wrote:

I don't see what the problem is? There are server logs, there are admins around somewhere. Sher, farm some pres, get away with it once or twice.. get caught get your construction pres wiped to zero. Get caught again, get your acct wiped.

Personally I find building to be quite entertaining, it has been my favorite thing to do for years. I really don't get why there needs to be negative pres for scrapping things. Police the game and enforce the rules, instead of penalizing players for scrapping poorly built planets or useless platforms. The goal is to help your team win is it not?

PsyCrow
Admiral

Posted: 2013-05-15 02:16   
Instead of punishing players for capitalizing on a poorly designed reward and ranking system, fix the game.

Think of different methods, try and exploit the hell out of each and every one, and when you find a system that cannot be exploited or simply isn't worth exploiting, there you have it.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-05-15 04:01   
remove the prestige gain for building platforms.

then tell me how often you reach the plat limit.

if
1) decomming is unfair loss to the decommer
2) no loss for decomming is exploitable by the commer/builder
3) platforms can already be tractored into planets for lossless removal

i say remove the gain of pres which is screwing the player's presconomics up

take that, playerbase!

but, ofcourse noone is going to notice this little text
Quote:

On 2013-05-13 16:08, PsyCrow wrote:
(unless you can find a way to let engineers transport them more reliably than tractors allow.

combined with negative pres for tractoring a platform and getting it killed by a motionless planet, this should deal with the possible ways of exploiting platforms.
[ This Message was edited by: Mike Paradox on 2013-05-15 04:10 ]

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-05-15 05:34   
Hmm, removing pres gain from them, i like that idea

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025877 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR