No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +12.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Projectile rendering distances
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Projectile rendering distances
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-06-06 23:18   
After a bit of testing, I've realized that there's a huge difference between the visibility of K'Luth, UGTO, and ICC cannons.

-K'Luth Psi Cannons are the easiest to see, and render a good distance away. (~1500gu?)
-UGTO Particle Cannons are somewhat easy to see, but only the bullet trail will render past around 600gu, the bullet itself will fade out.
-ICC Railguns are very difficult to see, as the bullet trail only lasts a second, and the shot itself doesnt even render until it's within 500gu from the camera.

If it's at all possible, and if it wont have a significant impact on game performance, could the render distance of bullets and hit effects be increased a bit?
The render distances on torpedoes and core weapons is fine, but cannons seem to have issues with it.

I'm assuming this is a matter of changing the particle attributes, so whoever has access to that (Pantheon ) I'm wondering what your take on the matter is.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-06-06 23:30   
As a practical matter I would like to know if you have any trouble discerning when you are going to be hit with railguns? furthermore do you mean that the railguns render only within 500 GU of YOU or that they only render within 500 GU of the person FIRING them?

From my own personal experience I have never had trouble seeing the path of my railguns and even the target it is what blind firing depends upon. If you mean that other factions cannot readily track the whole of the path of my railgun then that might be a problem. However, I feel reasonably secure in saying that railguns render up to 1200 away from me. They do become harder to discern the farther away you are but that is because the railguns are by definition smaller projectiles than the torpedoes. In the case that I cannot readily track if my cannons are making a connection by sight then I rely upon the knowledge of how much damage one volley from my cannons deals to an enemy.

However, these are my own views. Take and leave from them what you wish.

-Sheraton.

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-06-07 04:00   
Usually I can see the actual weapon firing on the ship itself from any distance, and if the ship has a red diamond on it I start evading.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-06-07 08:53   
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 23:30, Sheraton *XO* wrote:
As a practical matter I would like to know if you have any trouble discerning when you are going to be hit with railguns? furthermore do you mean that the railguns render only within 500 GU of YOU or that they only render within 500 GU of the person FIRING them?

From my own personal experience I have never had trouble seeing the path of my railguns and even the target it is what blind firing depends upon. If you mean that other factions cannot readily track the whole of the path of my railgun then that might be a problem. However, I feel reasonably secure in saying that railguns render up to 1200 away from me. They do become harder to discern the farther away you are but that is because the railguns are by definition smaller projectiles than the torpedoes. In the case that I cannot readily track if my cannons are making a connection by sight then I rely upon the knowledge of how much damage one volley from my cannons deals to an enemy.

However, these are my own views. Take and leave from them what you wish.

-Sheraton.

The issue that I am having is that past roughly 500gu from the CAMERA, the projectiles stop rendering, and only the trail will show.

This means you need to zoom in rather close, and even then, the projectiles will vanish before they hit their target.

The shot will stop rendering, but the trail continues to render further out, but on ICC the bullet trail is short-lived.

Try zooming out enough to get a good view of the entire scene, and you'll find that your shots only show briefly.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-06-07 12:59   
This is the difference then. I play so that I can encompass the immediate area around me. So you are saying you cannot see what you are hitting with the railguns if you have zoomed out a great deal?

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-06-07 16:46   
This is an easy fix. All LOD values are stored at a data level in the effects, and once they go past the value we give them, they're not visible.

What distances would everyone like? Obviously ranges like 1500 gu are excessive, but 500 gu is a little on the low side. Would everyone be happy with 1000 gu?

I'm actually surprised all of them are so wishy-washy...
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-06-07 16:48 ]

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-06-07 16:53   
1000 would be acceptable to me. Most of my targets in ships requiring railguns are within that range only the extreme targets like a ganglia would be outside of it or a missile dread.

I would be fine with having a 1k rendering distance for the ICC railguns or even for them as a uniform measure for the factions.

-Sheraton

Achilles Lord of the Myrmidon
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-06-07 16:54   
Yeah Jack between 850-1000 gu would be acceptable

Signature size too large, please resize (600x200x100kb)

Email Achilles Lord of the Myrmidon   Goto the website of Achilles Lord of the Myrmidon
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-06-07 17:36   
I think I remember the veiw distances changed in my early noob days as some kind of unwritten "nerf" to cannons, or some kind of graphical change, but I can't remember maybe I'm just crazy.

1k gu sounds reasonable to me

Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-06-07 17:48   
1k is great

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-06-07 17:58   
sounds good to me

Email Borgie
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-06-07 20:29   
Can people check beta for me - I changed all the LOD numbers.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-06-07 21:28   
I personally think that the visibilty range should be a bit over what the range of the weapon is.

Since railguns go as far as 1200, they should render out to about 1500.
If they render out to only 500-1000 or whatever you set it on, they will vanish before they hit their target.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-06-07 21:38   
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 21:28, Fluttershy wrote:
I personally think that the visibilty range should be a bit over what the range of the weapon is.

Since railguns go as far as 1200, they should render out to about 1500.
If they render out to only 500-1000 or whatever you set it on, they will vanish before they hit their target.

1000 is all I'm prepared to go up to for performance reasons, sorry. That's still a 5-10 fold increase on what it was before in most cases.

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-06-07 22:11   
Railguns also go to 1250 not 1200. but a distance of 50 gu is not really significant. however, I do note that it doesn't relaly matter to me for aiming purposes because by 1k GU out I cannot see the trails from my ship anyway.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020157 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR