Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » combat testing feedback
 Author combat testing feedback
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-24 19:07   
We tested several ships, different classes against each other, tried different weapons.

Overall, torpedoes seem best suited for attacking ships which are either the same class as you, one bigger, or one smaller.

The torpedoes are fast enough, even when fired by dreads, that it takes a concentrated effort to evade them in destroyers, and anything larger is easy to hit, and in near-miss scenarios, the blast radius of core torpedoes can be used by manually detonating them.

Combat between dreads ends alarmingly quick. A full alpha of torpedoes on a stock dread wipes out a good 30% chunk of hull, and it's possible to kill one before it can fully turn around.

Attacking dreads with smaller ships is pitiful, however, as they have to fire to exhaustion to get through just the armor.

Possible suggestions
-Better thrust and turn rate on destroyers, and likewise down the line to frigates and scouts.
-Lower torpedo velocity, especially for dread level torpedoes.
-Significantly increase beam lifetime of lasers, enough that smaller ships can spread the damage across 3 arcs, escape the range of them, or escape the laser arc, but will remain effective against ships of the same class.

Painfulangel
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-24 20:34   
I concur, the new cruisers for UGTO look amazing

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-07-24 21:51   
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 19:07, Fluttershy wrote:
The torpedoes are fast enough, even when fired by dreads, that it takes a concentrated effort to evade them in destroyers, and anything larger is easy to hit, and in near-miss scenarios, the blast radius of core torpedoes can be used by manually detonating them.

Quote:

This I shall do immediately. Easy to fix, and makes plenty of sense.

Email Jim Starluck
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-24 22:19   
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 21:51, Jim Starluck wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 19:07, Fluttershy wrote:

Quote:

This I shall do immediately. Easy to fix, and makes plenty of sense.

Let me know if you want help testing the adjustments.
I figure that an ideal torpedo should have difficulty hitting ships of the same class, and much much difficulty in hitting ships lower.

Dread torps I figure are intended for stations, so they can be very slow, just enough to make other dreads able to steer clear of them.

If torpedoes have no difficulty in hitting same-class ships, then beam dreads are more or less pointless.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-07-24 23:08   
Yeah.

I'm starting with a reduction in velocity of 25%. Let's see how that works.

Email Jim Starluck
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-25 13:20   
I'm not happy if dread torpedo must be slower so that cruiser and smaller ships are conveniently dodge dread's torpedo.

Fluttershy mention torpedo will hit anything bigger than destroyer but doesn't clarify how long between 2 objects. The range is crucial.

There is a better option to deal with torpedo, Jim. Seperate torpedo the way you do with missle: from scout to cruiser inherits 2 types of torpedoes (one long range - medium damage - medium cooldown; one medium range - high damage - slow cooldown); dread 2 types too (one to deal with cruiser and bigger; one to deal with destroyer and smaller).

Why?

Because there are not only dreads vs anything in game. There are battles between destroyers, between cruisers, between frigate and scouts. And since there are many torpedo types ship, they should work proficiently.

I'm the type who support to play all kinds of ships classes. However, making anything dread-orientation or dread-standard would make lots of players (who store dreads in garrage) angry and quit the game. We have worked so hard to get dread, we do not expect it to miss smaller one. It's the true emotion.

Somehow 1.7 limit dread and station so bad. Think when dreads and stations will be no longer crowded in Hydra, then weapon will have no option but to re-balance again. That's not cool, indeed.

IMHO, if a tool is too danagerous, then instead of giving the tool to player and limit it at many aspects, simply remove it. Or make it NPC just like pirates & MI.
[ This Message was edited by: DiepLuc on 2013-07-25 13:39 ]

Brutality
Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-25 13:35   
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 23:08, Jim Starluck wrote:
Yeah.

I'm starting with a reduction in velocity of 25%. Let's see how that works.

is that reduction in velocity across all ship classes or just dreads? Just wondering

Page created in 0.036022 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR