Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Steam Greenlight
 Author Steam Greenlight
Cheu612
Admiral
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-07-29 00:41   
Hey guys

This was just a thought and maybe it has already been suggested but I was thinking we could look at using Valves new developer support option "Greenlight" to get Darkspace onto steam in a hope that it would drum up more players.

This would obviously be up to the developers but it would be great to have more players around and a platform we could better use to rally friends and communicate. Im sure if it got the go ahead the community here would be able to rally and vote for it to encourage Valve to favor our game over the others.

Heres some links :

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

About: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765§ion=faq

Regards

Cheu612
[ This Message was edited by: Cheu612 on 2013-07-29 00:43 ]

Email Cheu612
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-29 01:06   
*APPARENTLY*

The answer is no because GCQL is a 'competitor' to steam.

I know, it's ridiculous. GCQL is literally useless compared to steam. It handles updating and server selection, has chat and a browser. Whoop de poop.

Do you see GCQL beating out steam any time soon? no. It's a load of effluent.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-07-29 01:23   
GCQL actually has the capability to service more than just darkspace. Thats why it is a competitor.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-29 05:16   

Does anything actually use GCQL other than darkspace?

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-07-29 07:30   
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 01:23, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:
has the capability to

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-29 07:33   
Steam would bring in a ton of players.. its sad we cant work a way for the best of both worlds here
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:02   
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 07:33, AdmiralChaos [Steady] wrote:
Steam would bring in a ton of players.. its sad we cant work a way for the best of both worlds here

Can't remember if GameCQ is more than just the lobby broswer update or something a bit more. Doubt losing the lobby can't be made up with the forums like other games unless it has the lobby options in the game itself.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:23   
steam...wow...
I changed my name to say "uuuuuuuuugh" and now it seems even more appropiate.

*long face palm*

okay where to begin...okay lets say steam was thought up about 13 years ago, and lets say gcql was a multiserver containing several mini-servers for other games, just darkspace did best. lets say a person liked this server idea and wanted to earn money with it. Lets say this person was actually very polite but the admin of this game at that time, did not agree to the main idea behind steam.

In the past, you could buy a ame, install it, and play. Now with steam, you can buy a game, install it, create account, install steam, create steam account, possibly create real money account, steam starts up with system no matter how you set it up, and all your personal/bank info belong to the admins. Now lets say this person would have serius legal issues just selling this data, so this person wants to solve that problem before launching steam.

Now...lets say, just hypothetically, that the game admin of that time gave the person a sarcastic tip of creating on purpose loopholes in the security only that person knows about, then that person could blame data leaks on hackers "who are getting more and more creative in their security breaches" yeah right, they just have an insider. every business needs programmers, and managers dont understand a word these programmers have to say.

Now, this person who wanted to launch steam, asked to make darkspace one of the first games to join his new client, but that current game admin refused because of the ideology behind steam (having everyone's data and using it when needed). So, a hackwar started, causing many many players to leave. Goththug was becoming famous and loved at this time, by the remaining players. Go figure why.

In the end this is a sandbox game created by a young guy who had time to spend in making a well balanced game. In the end its design is flawless, in the way that hackers arent stopped, but they feel the urge to play normally for a while once or twice, just to match skills with another as a relief from usual business. People who still refused to stop changing their ways, eventually got bored and hacked other stuff, leaving room for the funlovers.

So you see, any darkspace veteran is a good guy, for he/she loves fun:)

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:25   
the community and feel of the game as we know it, will end the day it joins steam.

Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2013-07-29 08:32   
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 08:25, Lurch wrote:
the community and feel of the game as we know it, will end the day it joins steam.

I think your overexaggerating. There are plenty of successful games that are previewed through Steam and have their own communities functioning perfectly fine as long as the game is entertaining.

Darkspace doesn't need Steam. It needs some more Beta testing and suggestions... real suggestions. The old players are still lurking around waiting to check out the new version of Darkspace. With or without Steam people won't stay until there is a stable version.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-07-29 09:17   
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 08:25, Lurch wrote:

that ended a long time ago...

Email Borgie
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-07-29 09:52   
Quote:
On 2013-07-29 05:16, iwancoppa wrote:

Does anything actually use GCQL other than darkspace?

one of derek smart's battlecruiser games does. [citation needed]

Quote:
On 2011-12-27, Grummz wrote:

Steam takes a chunk of the profit from each virtual item sale (since the game is free). This fee is quite large. It works for box games because box games don't have much development expense after the game is made. An online game, with servers, data centers, bandwidth and customer services, can incur costs of up to 60% on an ongoing basis. After Steam takes their share, there is little left over for ongoing content development or profit.

Steam, as Gabe likes to put it, has to offer a strong value proposition to developers. While it does for box games, it is less clear that it offers an online game much at this point, since it does nothing to share in the costs of operating such a game.

If the business model can work out, then I would be happy to have it on Steam.

Quote:
On 2011-08-29, Notch wrote:

Being on Steam limits a lot of what we’re allowed to do with the game, and how we’re allowed to talk to our users. We (probably?) wouldn’t be able to, say, sell capes or have a map market place on minecraft.net that works with steam customers in a way that keeps Valve happy. It would effectively split the Minecraft community into two parts, where only some of the players can access all of the weird content we want to add to the game.

at the risk of sounding ignorant here,

"put it on steam", unfortunatly, isnt some magical bullet of a fix. that'd be nice if it was. yes, we'd probably see a sharp rise in players...for a while. im sure you could easily find players here willing to write up a laundry list of problems with the core mechanics of darkspace that contribute to, if not outright cause the low newbie-retention we've had.

all those issues, percieved or actual, would need to be addressed, which could (not to to slight jack or faustus) concievably take more programming talent than we have available, and/or more monetary income to pay for said talent
[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2013-07-29 10:08 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-07-29 09:53   
Valve ToS doesn't allow it.

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-07-29 15:45   
The biggest problem is my current situation with my real job. If I was still an independent developer, then hell yes I would be trying to get this game on steam...

That said, since I'm actually working full-time for KingsIsle Entertainment They would frown if I were to spend a lot of my time trying to get this game on steam. In fact no doubt they would notice and I would lose my job. Since this game doesn't bring in enough to support myself and my family, I'm playing it safe obviously, can you blame me?

If someone here has a big chunk of money you'd be willing to invest $$$ so we could hire enough people and cover my salary then I may consider that. It wouldn't be cheap, KI pays me extremely well

Other games on steam, such as FarCry 3 have lobbies very similar to GameCQ. I'm sure it could be made to work.

-F

Goto the website of Faustus
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-07-29 15:53   
To put it into perspective, we'd still have to do a lot of work to re-do our own ToS, our pricing structure, etc - as Valve would take a chunk of everything. It isn't the golden goose and instant fix-all that everyone makes it out to be.

For example, if we do change GCQL, our ToS, do all the work required for Steamworks intergration - the game itself is still not in a state, in my view, that I would find acceptable for a Steam game.

If we bring the game to the attention of millions, I would personally want it in a state that wouldn't scar DarkSpace in the minds of many in a negative light.

Page created in 0.021553 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR