No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Planets and 1.7
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Planets and 1.7
AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-08-10 15:04   
I've read over the dev log over and over.. and I think the biggest thing missing is an actual PvE gameplay change that (I) think is really needed...

As it stands, I know myself and others don't get the point of the MV right now. Theres no real motivation to conquer the MV.. inbetween being on different servers, low ranked server/systems and just the general feeling of planets just being a place to pull a ship from. They arn't threatening, they don't defend themselves very well at all and because of those two things, the desire to aquire and hold them is null.

I'm excited for new ship models, ships and subscriber perks but what about actual pve-side gameplay?

It feels like its just going to turn into the same mostly boring mess after the newness wears off.
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Kesari
Vice Admiral
My Little Pony

Posted: 2013-08-10 17:44   
Making planet defenses actually interesting would be a nice change.
Rather than just a generic pain field and damage reduction, having a mix of bases for different roles would liven things up, and have an affect on what strategies are used to attempt to defend or attack it.

I understand this was taken out due to performance issues in the past, but I wonder if the smaller servers will allow it to happen again.

Also, having an appropriate reward for capturing or sucessfully defending a difficult planet.
As it stands right now, you get 1 capture point for an empty barren, and also 1 capture point for taking a heavily defended terran that took an hour to capture...
[ This Message was edited by: Kesari on 2013-08-10 17:45 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-10 18:42   
If we had the different resources being required to build different ships or swap different gadgets like used to be once upon a time there would be an actual point to holding planets. Especially if some of those resources were rare and only available in certain systems to give people an incentive to fight over them rather than just for the fun of it.

That could be an especially good re-addition with 1.7 and all it's new ships. If the T1 ships were buildable with just basic metals but T2 and T3 ships required more exotic materials I'm sure we'd see a lot more people logging in to try and ensure their faction has access to them while others don't.

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-08-10 19:01   
it would be nice at first.. but eventually you'll stockpile those resources.. or always have your ships
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Kesari
Vice Admiral
My Little Pony

Posted: 2013-08-10 19:07   
When a ship is destroyed, the player should have to spend resources to launch it again, otherwise they just keep launching it from a remote shipyard and transferring to the front line with no actual penalty except to their prestige.

"resources lost" but no resources are actually lost.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-08-10 23:21   
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 15:04, AdmiralChaos *FL* wrote:
I've read over the dev log over and over.. and I think the biggest thing missing is an actual PvE gameplay change that (I) think is really needed...

As it stands, I know myself and others don't get the point of the MV right now. Theres no real motivation to conquer the MV.. inbetween being on different servers, low ranked server/systems and just the general feeling of planets just being a place to pull a ship from. They arn't threatening, they don't defend themselves very well at all and because of those two things, the desire to aquire and hold them is null.

I'm excited for new ship models, ships and subscriber perks but what about actual pve-side gameplay?

It feels like its just going to turn into the same mostly boring mess after the newness wears off.

we already have ai in this game, which ruin combat as it is.

Email Borgie
Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-08-11 00:41   
I still say if we want to mitigate the AI they should be put on an inverse ratio to the faction real time player population on a server.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-08-11 12:45   
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 19:07, Kesari wrote:
When a ship is destroyed, the player should have to spend resources to launch it again, otherwise they just keep launching it from a remote shipyard and transferring to the front line with no actual penalty except to their prestige.

"resources lost" but no resources are actually lost.

This is actually a pretty good suggestion.

Sure, a player doesn't actually lose the ship. But to bring a "destroyed" but garaged ship back into gameplay, it should require the resources necessary to "rebuild" it.

Should the complex resources system ever be brought back to DS, I would support this idea. Besides pres loss, not being able to respawn one of your garage ships due to lack of resources should be a good deterrent against wasteful suicide gameplay.

Nevermind what "arcade" players like anyway.

Ollary
Marshal

Posted: 2013-08-12 14:24   
Tottaly Agree with this ideas. Darkmatter and other rare resorces will make you want to capture and hold a enemy planet far away just to fly a Tier 3 ship again.

Logging off with not docing should take away more resorces from your ship next time you want to fly it.

And yes... yes the old planet def with missels was much more fun and realistic.

SBUS

Posted: 2013-08-12 16:35   
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 17:44, Kesari wrote:
Making planet defenses actually interesting would be a nice change.
Rather than just a generic pain field and damage reduction, having a mix of bases for different roles would liven things up, and have an affect on what strategies are used to attempt to defend or attack it.

I understand this was taken out due to performance issues in the past, but I wonder if the smaller servers will allow it to happen again.

Also, having an appropriate reward for capturing or sucessfully defending a difficult planet.
As it stands right now, you get 1 capture point for an empty barren, and also 1 capture point for taking a heavily defended terran that took an hour to capture...
[ This Message was edited by: Kesari on 2013-08-10 17:45 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-08-12 21:06   
Nothing will be done for 1.7 in regards to planets except for tweaks and fixes, otherwise we'll be waiting forever for 1.7, and it's better to get it out in its current state (or thereabouts) rather than waiting for another major feature change.

It's been on the board for quite some time. We laid the foundation and framework when we changed the planets to the new defense system, we just haven't got around to doing the rest of the work yet (which is significant, even more so than 1.7).
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-08-12 21:07 ]

Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 02:22   
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 21:06, Pantheon wrote:
Nothing will be done for 1.7 in regards to planets except for tweaks and fixes, otherwise we'll be waiting forever for 1.7, and it's better to get it out in its current state (or thereabouts) rather than waiting for another major feature change.

It's been on the board for quite some time. We laid the foundation and framework when we changed the planets to the new defense system, we just haven't got around to doing the rest of the work yet (which is significant, even more so than 1.7).
[ This Message was edited by: Cold Death on 2013-08-16 04:34 ]

Well, there's always 1.8!

_Sajuuk_
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 04:37   
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 15:04, AdmiralChaos *FL* wrote:

in refrence to the "planets defending themselves" part of it. i think i remember planets being able to keep whole fleets at a distance
(there were less AI back then as i recall) systems had a SY planet and a nearby "Death Star" meaning it had overkill amount of defenses
(try takeing a SY planet when the nearby def planet can destroy u in seconds)
[ This Message was edited by: -Orion- on 2013-08-16 04:39 ]

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-08-16 09:51   
Yes there were such planets at one time but they tended to put a very heavy load on the server. The old system of planet defenses was removed for this reason if I recall correctly.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-16 10:26   
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 21:06, Pantheon wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2013-08-12 21:07 ]

Awesmome! Glad to hear that

19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.061772 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR