No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » So, I need a new computer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author So, I need a new computer
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-26 20:16   
No beeps. But I did make sure it was in properly, I had no desire to be SOL after causing physical damage and voiding the warranty. Though I suppose it's possible the thermal paste had bubbles, it came already on the processor so I think I'll scrape it off and put new on and see if that makes any difference.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-08-26 21:09   
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 12:15, Talien wrote:
So I got my components Friday put everything together and it failed to POST. All the LED lights on the board light up, the fans spin up, and the HD spins up for a moment then shuts off, no video signal, and no POST. After 2 days of reseating components and testing them 1 by 1 I've pretty well narrowed it down to the board or processor, but since I have no way to test them separately I'm at a loss on how to tell which it is, or if it's both. I also have no way to test the ram as I have no other board that will take DDR3.

Any suggestions on a next step? Someone suggested I just get both replaced, but I really don't want to do that when it's likely only one of them is the problem.

Did you bend any of the CPU or CPU socket pins when you fitted the processor in?

Happened with one of my friends.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-26 21:40   
I made sure it lined up and fit in properly, I actually paid attention to the instructions.

Null Pointer
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-26 22:49   
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 21:40, Talien wrote:
I made sure it lined up and fit in properly, I actually paid attention to the instructions.

Did you try to remove all of the ram except one, and test it, then remove that one, and but others in? Do that for each slot, see if that's the deal. If it beeps try googling what the code means for you Mobo.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-28 04:41   
well power supply works, since LEDS flash and fans spin. HD starts but shuts off, meaning something might be wrong there? wrong setup for master/slave etc? i donno seems when ur HD shuts off something may be wrong there. is ur power supply enough watt, or to many? if motherboard the issue maybe one of the installed components isnt supported by the motherboard? did u check not just pin setup and bit size, but also other parameters going trough each port and the requirements of each component?

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-08-28 04:42   
the manual of motherboard should tell you what the beeps mean btw

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-08-28 07:59   
Tried testing the ram individually but same thing happened. I'm pretty sure it's not the HD as it's the same one I was using with my previous setup and it worked just fine there. I know it's not the power supply, 650 watts is well more than required (I checked and it's around 500w for my installed components),

I think I'm just going to contact newegg and see what they want me to do, as the AMD forum was no help and I have not gotten a reply from asus support yet.

I'd probably be returning the board regardless even if it is good though, the Newegg listing showed it could handle up to DDR3 1866 without OC but the manual only shows 1333, and after looking through more of the reviews there was someone else who had the same issue and got Newegg to waive the restocking fee because the specs didn't match up.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-03 21:49   
Returned that board and got this one as a replacement:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Same thing, LEDs light up, fans spin up, DVD spins up, but no post and no error beep.

I know it's not impossible to get 2 bad motherboards in a row as I've had it happen before, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the CPU afterall.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-03 23:45   

Sucks that you don't have a physical store to walk into and have the guys there test it out for you.

Anyone friends nearby, or neighbors with an compatible CPU to test it out with?

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-04 00:22   
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 23:45, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Sucks that you don't have a physical store to walk into and have the guys there test it out for you.

Anyone friends nearby, or neighbors with an compatible CPU to test it out with?

You know, I'm glad you mentioned that and I'm surprised I didn't think of it. I know someone who runs a computer store, it's a bit far (about 40 minutes away) but I think I'll call her tomorrow and see if she'd mind me coming in to test that.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-10 19:27   
So 2 bad motherboards later it's finally working.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-11 18:01   
2 bad motherboards...? you sure u didnt bend any pins installing the first 2? hehehe.

o well good to hear its all working. So hows the cooling of the system going? have you had the time to stress test? like running an emulator for every platform, then start a game and see how many platforms u can emulate at the same time:P

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2013-09-19 19:04   
I use to build my own computer but stopped a few years back. Now what I do is find a computer I like, then wait 6 months.

Find either a former display version of the model or order a refurbished one for around half what the still in store current price is.

Then toss in a $400/$500 graphics card and boom, for $1000/$1100 I get a system that will easily keep up with an $1800 system.

My two year old HP Pavilion HPE510T still easily keeps up with all modern games thanks to the high end graphics card in it.

At the time I bout it, it retailed for $1200, I picked it up refurbished for $500

The PC before that retailed for $1000 and I found a display model for $350. Each time with a high end graphics card I got a better system for the same price.

Email Tael
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-09-19 22:46   
Nah. I still like the fun of putting together my own box.
It's the fun of choosing the parts and then assembling it.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-09-19 23:37   
Quote:
On 2013-09-19 19:04, Tael wrote:
I use to build my own computer but stopped a few years back. Now what I do is find a computer I like, then wait 6 months.

Find either a former display version of the model or order a refurbished one for around half what the still in store current price is.

Then toss in a $400/$500 graphics card and boom, for $1000/$1100 I get a system that will easily keep up with an $1800 system.

My two year old HP Pavilion HPE510T still easily keeps up with all modern games thanks to the high end graphics card in it.

At the time I bout it, it retailed for $1200, I picked it up refurbished for $500

The PC before that retailed for $1000 and I found a display model for $350. Each time with a high end graphics card I got a better system for the same price.

That's a good way of doing it if you don't want to deal with putting your own system together, I have a friend who does that and I'd probably do it myself if I didn't like picking out my own components. Sorta on the opposite ends of the spectrum though, I'm using an older GFX card (Radeon HD5700), it's nowhere near top of the line but it's just fine for the games I play.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.026813 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR