No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +23.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Steam greenlight
 Author Steam greenlight
Digibear
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-22 21:14   
Hello everyone who took time to click this post.

Although my original account from 2002 was purged from the database after years of no-sub and a few company transfers. I fell to this game after Silent Death Online discontinued. I still come back to this game because how unique it really is. The combat and gameplay is very unique and I've yet to see any game really capture it in balance and gameplay since it's original release.

This suggestion has probably been mentioned a few times since the release of Greenlight but I just wanted to touch on the subject. I feel as if this game was to get itself on steam, the game would be revitalized with new life and community (good and bad comes from that) and it could be as big as the massive fleet battles from back in it's prime.

When I see games like Mabinogi being so successful since it opened up to the steam community I keep asking myself why this game hasn't even submitted an application. It's free to play and it seems as server costs come from the community these days, which a new influx of customers (and older returning customers) would give it much needed attention and income.

Now I don't know how all of this works in the technical side or how to convince darkspace elitists on how this community is awesome because it's small, old and tight-nit but as a company I can't see why it wouldn't reach out.

Before I start assuming why this nudge hasn't been voted to go for it, I'd like to hear what the community and possibly developers/staff have to say about the idea.

Thanks for reading, hope to catch you in space!

TL:DR = Why no steam greenlight for darkspace? discuss?
[ This Message was edited by: Digibear on 2013-09-22 21:17 ]

Email Digibear
Taelon
Marshal

Posted: 2013-09-22 21:18   
No, we cant use steam, it is aginst their rules because GCQL is a competitor or something like that.

Digibear
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-22 21:32   
http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php&topic=54044&forum=36

He answers all my questions in the last few replies. Thanks for your time, i hope one day he will take a little time and push it slowly towards steam and re-work the ToS when the game is ready.

Email Digibear
Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-23 02:38   
This game kinda lacks a distinctive style and addicting gameplay.
There's so many things that can snap you out of the immersion.

Why was minecraft so successful? It never had any advertising campaigns, and it isn't on steam, yet it is largely sucessful.

Darkspace has
Little room for creativity.
Practically no support at all for modding or user generated content.
Few things to interact with, and few ways to do it.
Nothing to really keep you hooked for hours on end.
Rough and dated interface.
A great deal of complexity without sufficient in-game help to ease a player into it.
Veteran players who want it to be something that's even more complex and hard to play, and therefore making it even less approachable by new players who will be overwhelmed by it all.

So many things that this game needs, and just no easy way to solve any of those issues.

If you had a big checklist of things that players like, and things players hate, how do you think Darkspace would score?
[ This Message was edited by: Fluttershy on 2013-09-23 05:21 ]

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-23 03:35   
I sent some emails to steam greenlight peeps and they said that GCQL was absolutely fine.

I think the real issues with darkspace that is preventing it from greenlighting -

The game isn't in a very great state at this time (1.7 will go a long way to help)
Faustus can't afford the risk of losing his job and DS failing to get up there
The game will need recoding to support 100+ people online and fighting - one server won't cut it

Still, if some rich guy came around and just dumped $100,000 into darkspace then it could definately go places.

Perhaps a shorter term goal would be to introduce the game to communities like reddit/facepunch/Something awful etc. For all the dumb pubbies.
[ This Message was edited by: iwancoppa on 2013-09-23 07:21 ]

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-09-23 08:45   
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 03:35, iwancoppa wrote:
I sent some emails to steam greenlight peeps and they said that GCQL was absolutely fine.

I think the real issues with darkspace that is preventing it from greenlighting -

The game isn't in a very great state at this time (1.7 will go a long way to help)
Faustus can't afford the risk of losing his job and DS failing to get up there
The game will need recoding to support 100+ people online and fighting - one server won't cut it

Still, if some rich guy came around and just dumped $100,000 into darkspace then it could definately go places.

Perhaps a shorter term goal would be to introduce the game to communities like reddit/facepunch/Something awful etc. For all the dumb pubbies.
[ This Message was edited by: Sheraton *XO* on 2013-09-23 09:36 ]

I am reasonably certain that since Faustus happens to own Darkspace he will not be in danger of losing his job. Unless he chooses to fire himself. Also, if you wish to do free advertising that is fine. I do my part by mentioning it wherever I can. Also, if some eccentric rich person wishes to dump a large sum of money into palestar then by all means have at it I say!

-Sheraton

P.S. I am reasonably certain that the reasons why this game will not be ported to steam have been discussed, answered, and so forth. So I would advise anyone interested in them to do a brief search of the forums using the words "Steam" or "Steam and Greenlight" but to save you the trouble here are the explanations from Faustus and jack copied and pasted from a similar forum topic:

Quote:
Faustus
The biggest problem is my current situation with my real job. If I was still an independent developer, then hell yes I would be trying to get this game on steam...

That said, since I'm actually working full-time for KingsIsle Entertainment They would frown if I were to spend a lot of my time trying to get this game on steam. In fact no doubt they would notice and I would lose my job. Since this game doesn't bring in enough to support myself and my family, I'm playing it safe obviously, can you blame me?

If someone here has a big chunk of money you'd be willing to invest $$$ so we could hire enough people and cover my salary then I may consider that. It wouldn't be cheap, KI pays me extremely well

Other games on steam, such as FarCry 3 have lobbies very similar to GameCQ. I'm sure it could be made to work.

and here is Jacks

Quote:

To put it into perspective, we'd still have to do a lot of work to re-do our own ToS, our pricing structure, etc - as Valve would take a chunk of everything. It isn't the golden goose and instant fix-all that everyone makes it out to be.

For example, if we do change GCQL, our ToS, do all the work required for Steamworks intergration - the game itself is still not in a state, in my view, that I would find acceptable for a Steam game.

If we bring the game to the attention of millions, I would personally want it in a state that wouldn't scar DarkSpace in the minds of many in a negative light.

I hope this clears up some of the information as to why it is not likely. all quotations of Faustus and Jack were taken from here

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2013-09-23 14:38   
Reasistically how far away is Darkspace from anything like what's needed for Steam?

With the implementation of 1.7 is there a base line spec as to how many people should be able to play at one time without killing the game?

Assuming that 1.7 was a hit all of the old players come back, is it possible to get 40 people together in one area in one system and not lag to the point of being unplayable? Will it support having 3 or 4 different battles of this size in different parts of the mv without crashing?

Or are we really limited to an mv of say 40 people total?

Not meaning to bash or sound ignorant, I'm really just curious.

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-23 15:06   
Could something like Kickstarter help, or would it just be left unoticed?

I mean if you lay it out what your vision and qualifications are, and where the money will be going, and maybe have some nice benefits for those who contribute, it could possibly work if we do our best to spread the word.

If it doesn't meet its goal, then nothing is really lost except for time.

Star Citizen did it, and they don't even have a playable game yet.

Hakketak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-09-23 15:07   
darkspace engines and steam are much alike, just that darkspace focuses on 1 game, and the general mentality behind the coding is different. In the end steam is the gcql engine, only version 2.0.

Time heals any wounds they say, and perhaps yes it is time to put this game into steam. Looking trough the differences, there are just so many similarities. Manipulation can go both ways though, how many ppl can deny there is, despite the bugs etc, a certain magical feeling of happyness in this game?

It is because a lot of attention was spent on creating that feeling. In much the same way, a lot of attention has been spent on STEAM, to take away your money with you volunteering for it. Steam then rewards you the same way this game is able to reward your feelings, just this game does it for being smart, or investigating, looking for new ways to do things.

In the end its a formula every succesfull company has taken use of, any that dont, are not succesfull and will have a small comunity to start with, declining by time. Is a small comunity a bad thing? many players want back old times, in where there where only like 1-2 players online if you are lucky, and fights of 5 vs 5 where very rare. Players like the influence 1 ship has on the entire metaverse. a community of 100+ players would result in overspam, require seperate chat servers again for each solar system making communicating assaults to others harder, rlly, it will force a complete transformation of the entire game. the whole way the game is designed, it is really for 1 vs 1 up to 6 vs 6 battles.

later with the introduction of the 3rd faction the luth, a dev hell began that never ended:) it is rumored the devs then decided to create the circle of life within the game. ICC are strongest, then ugto, then k'luth, then icc, then ugto, then to mix it around suddenly ugto again, then k'luth, then icc, etc. This was done with the idea of players sticking to their faction as they did at that time. the problem arised when players started to leave their faction and screw over other factions, then get back to their own (still had alegience to a faction on the positive side). Later the factionless killers rose in the ranks, hopping to whatever faction has the most players, getting easier kills, thus more prestige. the players with allegience to a faction gave up, I, in protest hopped faction each couple of weeks, to show how annoying this way of playing is, also the name changing is part of this protest.

Now we are left with mostly players that have no allegience at all, playing each faction from time to time. Some have respect and stay at least 2 weeks per faction, some rlly pull the finger on any player that has a goal for any achievement at all and change faction each day. Ask any experienced player about achieving things and they will laugh at you. AI and a playerbase that always restores kaus centre balance will get things back to how they where fast. So this means the feeling of being able to achieve things is lost, the biggest thing that this game has. The bad thing is, this is how the current devs MENT it to be, when asked. the AI are MENT to restore balance to kaus. with an active fleet of 2 dreads, 6 cruisers, 10 destroyers, 10 frigates, some scouts, and a few trannies, thats one active fleet to counter when trying to achieve things, like an invasion.

So once you log off, you know the other faction will recap the place fast, and this is how it is ment to be for the sake of balance. if the ships arent balanced, ai will balance the playingfield. but woooot, all will be better in 1.7......

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2013-09-23 21:36   
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 15:07, A brick loose from the Masonry wrote:
darkspace engines and steam are much alike, just that darkspace focuses on 1 game, and the general mentality behind the coding is different. In the end steam is the gcql engine, only version 2.0.

yeah im just gonna stop this right there.

darkspace on steam is not in the cards, either now or in the forseeable future, regardless of whatever real or precieved benefits there might be, for reasons which have been previously elaborated on.
it's entirely faustus' decision, if he doesnt want to put darkspace on steam at this time, its not going to happen.

Page created in 0.017042 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR