Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » 1.701 Missile Change Feedback
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author 1.701 Missile Change Feedback
Altodar
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2013-10-23 02:17   
This whole missile thing might be a bit easier to balance if they worked like forward-firing rockets with adjusted speed and little to no tracking ability at all.

If no target selected, would fire straight ahead, and if a target is selected, very very slightly veer towards them, but not much.

It would make the missiles require some degree of aim and ability to lead a target, and make it possible to hit stationary targets at any range past the point your missiles arm.

The fact that they would only be able to shoot forward would mean that your turn rate would be an important factor, as ships which are less than two sizes larger could much more easily steer clear of your fore arc, as well as veer out of the way of your missile salvos, which would have their velocities adjusted for that to be possible.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-10-23 02:35   

I'm in the middle on this one.

I do agree that missiles should not be able to easily hit the smaller ships.
And yet I am also concerned that any kind of changes made to the tracking code might make them dumb to the point that they won't even be able to hit a brightly painted barn standing in the middle of a desert.

First of all, I have to ask. After observations, what really is the problem?

Granted that the Tercio was maneuvering hard:
Does the problem exist because the missiles were able to turn with the Tercio? Or even outturn it?
If so, then we should ask whether the missiles are too maneuverable. What if we reduce the missile's turn rate?

Or does the problem exist because the Tercio just didn't have time to react to the missile, because it came at it with such speed that the pilot couldn't manuever out of the way in time?
If so, will a speed reduction help? Or that, coupled with a reduction in turn rate?

What we want to avoid is having missiles going back to the previous versions, where they were so bad at times that they weren't able to hit the side of Mount Everest.

One more question: How do missiles track their targets now? Do they lead the target, or do they simply attempt to point their nose at the target?
If it was the former, how about trying the latter? If it was the latter, then perhaps you can look at tweaking turn rate and speed to see if the missiles will have trouble turning with cruisers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.007054 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR