No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » General questions about the future of DS.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author General questions about the future of DS.
AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 12:54   
I understand and acknowledge that the staff is most likely focusing on putting the finishing touches on the current patch and I'm sure thats all your working on right now. Which is great, this has been a great patch so far and added some really nice things.

I really hope after emails go out we get of ton of old faces and they bring in some new ones too.

Whats the plan after this? I and I'm sure everyone else could come up with a million ideas but what we want isn't what you always have in mind. (I've written up a hugehugehuge 15 page letter of suggestions for construction, but its too precious for me to post lol)

Are planets going to become desirable again? (You know, do something, contribute to something or add a real reward? IMO spending 5 minutes bombing inf or 30 minutes leveling it and spending 10 minutes waiting for capture is pretty lackluster with little reward.. sure you can add more people and make it quicker, time vs reward still remains pitiful)

Are fleets going to get more levels? (Real perks would be nice..)

I think one of the biggest problems is theres not enough you can do on your own. Yes, this is a team game, but what are people to do while they wait for teammates? I think AI helped a little with this before, now they are just inconvient to find or bother with and you can only build so many planets in scenario before you want to bite the bullet. (Unless your me.. /crazy)

I just find myself running into the same wall as I did before the patch.
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 13:03   
you should try out mv...? havent seen you jet as an enemy

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 13:30   
I cruise in there for at least an hour everyday.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-11-04 13:37   
Quote:
On 2013-11-04 12:54, AdmiralChaos *FL* wrote:
Whats the plan after this? I and I'm sure everyone else could come up with a million ideas but what we want isn't what you always have in mind. (I've written up a hugehugehuge 15 page letter of suggestions for construction, but its too precious for me to post lol)

Are planets going to become desirable again? (You know, do something, contribute to something or add a real reward? IMO spending 5 minutes bombing inf or 30 minutes leveling it and spending 10 minutes waiting for capture is pretty lackluster with little reward.. sure you can add more people and make it quicker, time vs reward still remains pitiful)

If 1.7 was all about ships, 1.8 is going to be all about planets.

We're already throwing around ideas for how to make them more interesting, and to help drive player activity.

Quote:

This one isn't really my department, but I would bet good money on fleet levels being a focus of dev attention in the future.

Quote:
I think one of the biggest problems is theres not enough you can do on your own. Yes, this is a team game, but what are people to do while they wait for teammates? I think AI helped a little with this before, now they are just inconvient to find or bother with and you can only build so many planets in scenario before you want to bite the bullet. (Unless your me.. /crazy)

This will be one of the things I want 1.8 to help address. Planets should act as objectives for players, but also as sources of activity. If/when we ever get a mission system working, my personal view is that planets should be a source of missions for players looking for something to do.

Email Jim Starluck
AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 14:41   
Quote:
On 2013-11-04 13:37, Jim Starluck wrote:
Quote:

If 1.7 was all about ships, 1.8 is going to be all about planets.

We're already throwing around ideas for how to make them more interesting, and to help drive player activity.

Quote:

This one isn't really my department, but I would bet good money on fleet levels being a focus of dev attention in the future.

Quote:

This will be one of the things I want 1.8 to help address. Planets should act as objectives for players, but also as sources of activity. If/when we ever get a mission system working, my personal view is that planets should be a source of missions for players looking for something to do.

Thanks Jim, thats all great to hear and I'm really happy about it. Looking forward to the future

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-11-04 15:52   
Quote:
I understand and acknowledge that the staff is most likely focusing on putting the finishing touches on the current patch and I'm sure thats all your working on right now. Which is great, this has been a great patch so far and added some really nice things.

I really hope after emails go out we get of ton of old faces and they bring in some new ones too.

This may be a hard pill to swallow, but this goes industry-wide. If you have access to any other people working in the industry as designers or programmers, ask them about this, they will give you the same response.

What players want and suggest, is very rarely what you really want, or is even best for the game. You guys have a very close and direct relationship with us developers (some even on first-name basis), and as such it creates a very emotional rift when we outright deny your suggestions. However, do try and remember that if this was any other game, your suggestions would likely go ignored or just instantly denied with no answers given.

Planets will become desirable again.
Fleets will get more levels.
Stuff you can do on your own will improve/increase.

However, all of the above require obscene amounts of work and time put into them to make them like that. Players often suggest 'simple' changes that in reality, would require teams of people working normal 9-5 shifts to get them out within a month. Only me and Faustus really work on the programming side of DarkSpace, and when we do it, it's sparingly, as we have other jobs, commitments, family, etc. Jim, Walris, Kenny, and co, all require (most of the time), me and Faustus to do things for them to be able to add what they want.

In short, the reality is we could tell you what the plan is, but it will likely take years to get there unless some seriously tallented programmers come onboard and want to donate their time for free. It's important to remember that we've had offers in the past, and then they realise the enormity of the task and disappear once we give them access. This is a fully fledged MMO. It may well be a hobby project, but the size of the codebase is still just as large as your regular MMO, and just as complex.

You can complain, rant, suggest, ask for details all you want, but the answer will always be "We know, and we'll work on it when we can."

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 16:12   
Quote:
On 2013-11-04 15:52, Pantheon wrote:

This may be a hard pill to swallow, but this goes industry-wide. If you have access to any other people working in the industry as designers or programmers, ask them about this, they will give you the same response.

What players want and suggest, is very rarely what you really want, or is even best for the game. You guys have a very close and direct relationship with us developers (some even on first-name basis), and as such it creates a very emotional rift when we outright deny your suggestions. However, do try and remember that if this was any other game, your suggestions would likely go ignored or just instantly denied with no answers given.

I'm not saying you need to take every suggestion we throw at you. We or rather I throw things around typically when it just doesn't feel like you care about X and Y and I feel like these are things they should be worked on. I have an opinion and the chance to share it, and I intend to use that chance to do so.

Quote:

Planets will become desirable again.
Fleets will get more levels.
Stuff you can do on your own will improve/increase.

However, all of the above require obscene amounts of work and time put into them to make them like that. Players often suggest 'simple' changes that in reality, would require teams of people working normal 9-5 shifts to get them out within a month. Only me and Faustus really work on the programming side of DarkSpace, and when we do it, it's sparingly, as we have other jobs, commitments, family, etc. Jim, Walris, Kenny, and co, all require (most of the time), me and Faustus to do things for them to be able to add what they want.

In short, the reality is we could tell you what the plan is, but it will likely take years to get there unless some seriously tallented programmers come onboard and want to donate their time for free. It's important to remember that we've had offers in the past, and then they realise the enormity of the task and disappear once we give them access. This is a fully fledged MMO. It may well be a hobby project, but the size of the codebase is still just as large as your regular MMO, and just as complex.

Where does it state that these are the things you are working on? Or intending to work on? All I see is "Dynamic event system and missions" under development log and nothing more from the forums.

From my MMO experience, developers do try to keep you in the loop of what they do have planned for the future of the game.. they just don't give you every single detail possible, which is fine and understandable.

You can tell me as many times as you want how everyone works on this in everyones spare time, has lives and how much work everything is to do. I literally just asked you what you had in store. I didn't say, "gimmie gimmie gimmie, wtf you guys dont do anything omg."

Quote:

You can complain, rant, suggest, ask for details all you want, but the answer will always be "We know, and we'll work on it when we can."

I will and thats fine, thanks.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-11-04 16:19   
Problem being, that we've done this before, and all it did was give people the impression that it was coming out soon, so people complained when it wasn't, and that we didn't care, etc.

So we removed them, and the complaints went away. But now you want them back in, so we have the same problem circling over and over.

The only way this issue goes away is if DarkSpace brings in enough money so that Faustus and/or myself and others can work on this full time so we can actually give updates when we work on things, rather than us giving updates going "Nothings changed." .

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2013-11-04 16:21   
I will say, we are going to focus a lot of giving you a reason to fight over the planets and keeping them under your control..

I suspect that "Resources" will become much like credits, except you will earn resources entirely in-game from the planets that your faction/team/fleet controls.

Anyway, nothing is in stone yet, we are still thinking about these things.

-Faustus

Goto the website of Faustus
-xTc- ExisT
Chief Marshal
Army Of Darkness

Posted: 2013-11-04 17:45   
If I ever win the lottery, I will invest a large sum of money into Palestar.
Just sayin'

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 17:46   
If Kickstarter'd work out, that'd be a way to actually hire someone, but it'd likely require astronomical funds to hire them for a long period of time, huh?

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 18:59   
Quote:
On 2013-11-04 16:21, Faustus wrote:
I will say, we are going to focus a lot of giving you a reason to fight over the planets and keeping them under your control..

I suspect that "Resources" will become much like credits, except you will earn resources entirely in-game from the planets that your faction/team/fleet controls.

Sploosh

Sheraton*XO*
Chief Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2013-11-04 20:43   
Quote:
On 2013-11-04 18:59, Chewy Squirrel wrote:
Quote:

Sploosh

The first part of that is how I recall the game being a LONG time ago. You had to use something like credits and resources to reequip the items on your ships.

-Sheraton

Twilit Keel Mountains traversed at last we met a dragon who spoke thus: \"Sheraton am I who interprets the signs.\"

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-04 21:24   
Quote:

This would make me sooooo happy.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-11-05 02:41   
that would planets be more worth while, then something people cap for pres when everyone is in bed...( icc)

Email Borgie
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.017473 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR