- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Bizaro
15th - *Flash*
9th - Uziel Lt. Seraph

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Future of DS!
 Author Future of DS!
TiLDe
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-13 21:33   
Great idea and it is two fold. First, the metaverse. Wipe it and start fresh, re-do the map layout to allow the center of the "universe" to have a special planet that is closely orbited by other moons to help defend it. This special planet will award the capturing fleet a Fleet Wide Bonus (low but noticeable).

What will this do you say?Well in the week or so I have been back, i have been watching and i've determined all people do is fight over the same system every day for no reason other than THE FIGHTING. This is the key, people WANT combat. This will also promote coordination in defending or attacking a key target that is actually worth something other than a repair location.

The second part. Have a third, very small server. Enough room for people but not make the map that large. This server will be called
"Darkspace: Arena". Everyone loves an arena. Each race will start at one corner, there are 3 planet systems virtually identical in potential. at the start of the -to be determined time length - match each race will have the same goal. control 2/3 of the planet systems by the end of the match.

The catch. Arena isn't just something u log onto and play like skirmish or mv. It is a challenge system, to insure equal numbers and participation among fleets. Only Fleets can participate. Winner of the arena will receive an enhancement that you can ONLY get from participating in the arena and winning. The enhancement is powerful enough to motivate players to play, but not so powerful to be considered OMG OP!

The conclusion. Implementing these two features will improve inter-communication between races and build stronger fleet connections. This doesn't mean Non fleeted players can't participate. Pick up groups for arena could fix that. I truly believe in order to get this game highly populated like it was back in the day, the dev team has to do something that makes people focus on more than "lets cap Yahoo again...again.......again."

PS Challenging a fleet requires a small sacrifice of credits that Fleets would have to "bet", winners can choose to take the small credit payout or the arena drop enhancement. see more incentive and Palestar can turn a profit, or at least break even from just this as only say, 75 percent of total credits are awarded to the winners (assuming they decide to take the credits over the enhancment).

[ This Message was edited by: TiLDe on 2013-11-13 21:49 ]

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-13 22:04   
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 21:33, TiLDe wrote:
Great idea and it is two fold. First, the metaverse. Wipe it and start fresh, re-do the map layout to allow the center of the "universe" to have a special planet that is closely orbited by other moons to help defend it. This special planet will award the capturing fleet a Fleet Wide Bonus (low but noticeable).

What will this do you say?Well in the week or so I have been back, i have been watching and i've determined all people do is fight over the same system every day for no reason other than THE FIGHTING. This is the key, people WANT combat. This will also promote coordination in defending or attacking a key target that is actually worth something other than a repair location.

The second part. Have a third, very small server. Enough room for people but not make the map that large. This server will be called
"Darkspace: Arena". Everyone loves an arena. Each race will start at one corner, there are 3 planet systems virtually identical in potential. at the start of the -to be determined time length - match each race will have the same goal. control 2/3 of the planet systems by the end of the match.

The catch. Arena isn't just something u log onto and play like skirmish or mv. It is a challenge system, to insure equal numbers and participation among fleets. Only Fleets can participate. Winner of the arena will receive an enhancement that you can ONLY get from participating in the arena and winning. The enhancement is powerful enough to motivate players to play, but not so powerful to be considered OMG OP!

The conclusion. Implementing these two features will improve inter-communication between races and build stronger fleet connections. This doesn't mean Non fleeted players can't participate. Pick up groups for arena could fix that. I truly believe in order to get this game highly populated like it was back in the day, the dev team has to do something that makes people focus on more than "lets cap Yahoo again...again.......again."

PS Challenging a fleet requires a small sacrifice of credits that Fleets would have to "bet", winners can choose to take the small credit payout or the arena drop enhancement. see more incentive and Palestar can turn a profit, or at least break even from just this as only say, 75 percent of total credits are awarded to the winners (assuming they decide to take the credits over the enhancment).

[ This Message was edited by: TiLDe on 2013-11-13 21:49 ]

First one sounds like 1.6 except theres a perk. But fighting in the same system all the time is boring and the goal is to actually want to capture everything.

Second one they will never do, still counting down the days on scenario server.

Not saying they're bad ideas, I'd love an arena style server.. if nothing for bragging rights.
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-14 15:55   
I would like to see a return of the MV reset.

If one faction captures another's Home-world the MV resets.

Before it dose, the "defeated" faction would have 3 days to a week to recapture the planet, if they do, MV continues on as normal. If they do not, the Victor's Fleet and Faction are announced across all servers/lobbies, and the MV resets to default all over again.

This would need a rework as to where Home Worlds are, they would need to be "in the back" of each factions territory, otherwise you would never see any combat is the systems past the HW system (like the systems past Sol or CD).

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Cold Death
Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-15 03:05   
Instead of doing "reset the MV when another faction is capped", why not think of something more.. fluent?

Let's take an example. Let's say the UGTO somehow manages to crush the ICC completely and take over all their planets. In this case, the server wouldn't reset the MV, it would just say "The ICC rebellion has been crushed!". In this case, the ICC aren't destroyed, they go into a "resistance" mode, where they can use all of the UGTO's shipyards ( except the home-world, of course ). They would only be able to spawn a limited amount of dreads and stations ( let's say a limit of 5 dreads and 2 stations ) and as many smaller ships as they wish ( their strength is in cruisers anyway ).

This way, instead of them assembling an ICC fleet, they'd be assembling an ICC insurgency/rebel/resistance fleet. Once they capture a Terran planet, it should say "A rebel group has broken away from the UGTO and has formed the ICC!", and you'd again have the ICC around.

However, this is just a suggestion that's an alternative to what you offered. I think it's terrible either way, since it has the potential to create enormous balancing issues, after all, the game was created with the intent of balancing 3 factions, not 2.

Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-15 04:42   
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 21:33, TiLDe wrote:

I honestly remember doing something like this a While back.... Spotty memory... Not the capping the planet type but the arena design, One star system thing.... Back in 08 or so...

[ This Message was edited by: Gin Ichimaru on 2013-11-15 08:11 ]

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-15 07:37   
Despite all the effort and server resources that go into simulating planets, not very many even care.

There is no incentive to capture except for starting a fight.
Theres no prestige to be gained in capturing planets, it's all about the combat.

The only ones who grab an engineer are typically the few that know what they are doing and can be bothered to set up a planet.

It ends up being very much like Planetside 2... A few areas on the map having all the combat, and mostly it's just players fighting for certs, and only the squads really tend to organize to take out the objectives.

AdmiralChaos
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-15 09:25   
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 07:37, Fluttershy wrote:
Despite all the effort and server resources that go into simulating planets, not very many even care.

There is no incentive to capture except for starting a fight.
Theres no prestige to be gained in capturing planets, it's all about the combat.

The only ones who grab an engineer are typically the few that know what they are doing and can be bothered to set up a planet.

It ends up being very much like Planetside 2... A few areas on the map having all the combat, and mostly it's just players fighting for certs, and only the squads really tend to organize to take out the objectives.

Thats all pretty true. You can take a bomber and FULLY level a planet, which will at least take you 15-20 minutes with a supplyship rearming you, evem longer without. You will gain no more than 100 prestige for this.

As for the direct capture of a planet.. depending on how many people you have and the alliegence of the planet you'll be waiting 5-20 minutes for what? 5 prestige?

The absolute only reason to ever bomb and capture a planet is to rebuild it, thats the only way you'll see some prestige. But, like you said.. its not a very desirable job.

We'll see how the new planet system turns out in a few years
And bury you with honesty.

I'll make all your dreams come to life,
And slay them as quickly as they came.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-15 09:43   
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 09:25, AdmiralChaos wrote:

We'll see how the new planet system turns out in a few years

Really doubt it will take THAT long...

Fluttershy
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2013-11-15 17:37   
The number of capture points you get should be proportional to the worth of the planet.

A planet that has NOTHING on it should be worth... 1 capture point.

A planet with a high level of allegiance, and a recently high tech, population, power, food, and combined resource value of structures should all pitch in to make for a much much more desireable capture reward, like say, 20-30 capture points for a particularly tough planet.

I say a "recently high" set of values because bombing it will of course weaken the planet. Basically it should store the highest values in a kind of 1 hour long buffer.

The 'worth' of a planet should reset to 0 or 1 until it is fully captured either way, or the highest degree to which the planet was captured could be stored, so if you recap it at 10% control you'd only get 0.1 capture points.

Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-15 18:14   
do you even realize how these suggestions sound?!?!

"Hi, so, the dev team been working 12 months or even more i heard, on this new version, its all great and all....BUTT!!!!!!!i have a suggestion. instead of planets why cant we have road depots, and since its 2d space game (no height movement) we can change the flat ground (0 height) to a grassland. Then overhaul the spaceships with a gif or jpeg of a cargotruck (for instance from transport tycoon)?

i feel like it should take no work at all, i dont however, have the time myself to spend on it, so i rather have you do it.

furthermore, the road depots should give anyone entering the depot +300% damage for the next 2 minutes, except enemy ships. All ships that arent my faction should be dead within 3 minutes. Also i like a whole new faction, and it is very very important that only me and 3 friends of mine fly that faction, else it wont feel special for me anymore.

also I need faster jumpdrives, more damage, more speed/manoevrability, better armor, and whatever faction im not in should have a nerf to damage, armor and speed.

furthermore, i dont like how AI doesnt do exactly what i had in mind. I want a mind uplink and a free cyborg operation on my skull, to allow a plug from my laptop into my head, so i can steer DS with my thoughts.

I expect these changes within the next 4 weeks. What do you all think?"

that is generally how these threads are read. personally i think no suggestion ever, has made an improvement on the game. O wait, the suggestion to add a third faction i like...but for the rest there is no usefull suggestion. you can increase the fun for yourselve for 1-2 hours, untill you notice the change brings a heap of new balance issues. The game was designed flawless, and ppl try to make it perfect with crude solutions...it wont work. Do not change to much!

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2013-11-16 10:33   
Quote:
On 2013-11-15 18:14, Beast of Babylon wrote:

that is generally how these threads are read. personally i think no suggestion ever, has made an improvement on the game. O wait, the suggestion to add a third faction i like...but for the rest there is no usefull suggestion. you can increase the fun for yourselve for 1-2 hours, untill you notice the change brings a heap of new balance issues. The game was designed flawless, and ppl try to make it perfect with crude solutions...it wont work. Do not change to much!

The suggestion to add a 3rd faction, they did......and the game has been nigh unbalancable since. The most difficult thing to balance in a game, is invisibility. If Kluth got a rework (complete overhaul) to where only about 25% of there ships could cloak it would be so much easier to balance them. Since the rest of there ships would have UGTO armor HP but the Kluth super regen they are known for. The ones that can cloak, are high Alpha glass cannons, the ones that can't are Tanks with decent weaponry. You could also then give UGTO and ICC cloaking ships as well, just 1-2 of them. This would even the game out a little more. Kluth would still be masters of cloaking, but not ALL of there ships would be that way.

(This suggestion I am talking about was one I put up years ago)

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Page created in 0.027145 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR