No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Passin the Time - Anything AFK
 Author Passin the Time - Anything AFK
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2013-12-01 16:02   
There must be things that some of us do to pass the time beyond killing one another in the MV or sit and be a cpu-potato to lobby camp and stare at a largely inactive screen for hours at a stretch. Would be nice to see what else is done to pass the time. Hobbies such as reading (REAL book reading...though I guess you e-readers count sorta), miscellaneous tinkering, mechanic work, R/C toys (boats//planes//trucks-cars)...or just plain romping around if you live in an area where its possible. Let's see what else we have in common other than PC gaming (or for some of you, console), DarkSpace and the mutual annihilation that is the MV. List and give a brief summary.

For myself:

Reading - I prefer science fiction although some military thrillers are acceptable. David Weber (Honor Harrington series, StarFire series, Safehold series) is my favorite, with the StarFire and Safehold ones being my favorites. But it is the StarFire that has inspired me to my 2nd item on the list.

Writing - Despite the periods of writers-block that can last months, I still have a couple projects that need finishing. Fan-fiction writtin strictly for myself and to practice both writing skills and developing original characters, races, and ideas. The current project stands at over 1000 pages thats taken me something like 10 years to slowly piece together. I eventually hope to start on something of my own; I have a few pieces to make up possible "Chapter 1s". I've also recently come up with ideas for short stories that would fit better into the realm of horror.

Mechanic - Apprenticed some with my grandpa. Little by little over the years the ability has expanded. I can now perform complete engine rebuilds...though by no means quickly. From errant body-noises that shouldn't be there, to engines and some electrical. Old style, non-EFI is where its at for me though. Most problems (or potential) are easier to diagnose and solve...whereas EFI I understand only the basics where fuel delivery is involved. But now owning an old 81 industrial-grade diesel (fuel injected...although mechanical) welder//generator helps some while also giving diesel experience when an issue does arise. But since I own a 2004 car, and can't possibly afford a mechanic shop to fix anything that might need the attention...and the fact it's long past warranty (and thankfully paid off)...I'd rather take on the learning experience of doing it myself even if it takes me say, a week instead of a couple days on a given task.
I eventually hope to also get to an old 58 Dodge p/u that the folks moved out to the property in. It's sat since 81 but won't take much to get the engine going.

Desert Toy - Got myself a 1962 IH Scout 80 a few years back. Only just now have had the time and sufficient monies to get it fixed up and ready for running around the desert. There is a local 4-Wheeler club I might join with but alot of those are more geared towards rock crawling or other higher-skill runs. I just want to be able to go out and have fun. Plenty of old washes and such to go exploring.

Big Boy Toy - It is, kind-of-sort-of. It's an old 63' Massey Fergusson tractor with a loader on the front and box scraper on the back. Cost me 1200$ and got it locally. Though a gas-tractor, the front loader alone is worth what I paid. Got it to help cleanup the property...just have to gather some extra funds together to see about getting some big roll-off dumpsters to load the 20-years-accumulated junk up. Might be more economical to simply haul truck loads off but I just want the stuff gone and out of here. Afterwards...can look into buying the extra odd attachment for the tractor and consider the odd side job. Just gotta build a trailer to haul it on. I have axles to do it and material for the frame. But thats for later.
[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2013-12-01 16:08 ]

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,
and feed the charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.\" - Capt. John Sheridan

Email Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2013-12-02 15:14   
Nothing? Doesn't have to be an extensive list. As mine goes there are days I don't bother with any of them.

[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2013-12-02 18:35 ]

\"Oh you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it,

Null Pointer
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-02 21:30   
When I'm not gaming, doing school work etc, I program. That's about it.

0stego
Fleet Admiral
United Armed Corps

Posted: 2013-12-02 22:16   
Quote:
On 2013-12-01 16:02, Entil-Zha the Starkiller wrote:
Mechanic - Apprenticed some with my grandpa. Little by little over the years the ability has expanded. I can now perform complete engine rebuilds...though by no means quickly. From errant body-noises that shouldn't be there, to engines and some electrical. Old style, non-EFI is where its at for me though. Most problems (or potential) are easier to diagnose and solve...whereas EFI I understand only the basics where fuel delivery is involved. But now owning an old 81 industrial-grade diesel (fuel injected...although mechanical) welder//generator helps some while also giving diesel experience when an issue does arise. But since I own a 2004 car, and can't possibly afford a mechanic shop to fix anything that might need the attention...and the fact it's long past warranty (and thankfully paid off)...I'd rather take on the learning experience of doing it myself even if it takes me say, a week instead of a couple days on a given task.
I eventually hope to also get to an old 58 Dodge p/u that the folks moved out to the property in. It's sat since 81 but won't take much to get the engine going.

Desert Toy - Got myself a 1962 IH Scout 80 a few years back. Only just now have had the time and sufficient monies to get it fixed up and ready for running around the desert. There is a local 4-Wheeler club I might join with but alot of those are more geared towards rock crawling or other higher-skill runs. I just want to be able to go out and have fun. Plenty of old washes and such to go exploring.

Big Boy Toy - It is, kind-of-sort-of. It's an old 63' Massey Fergusson tractor with a loader on the front and box scraper on the back. Cost me 1200$ and got it locally. Though a gas-tractor, the front loader alone is worth what I paid. Got it to help cleanup the property...just have to gather some extra funds together to see about getting some big roll-off dumpsters to load the 20-years-accumulated junk up. Might be more economical to simply haul truck loads off but I just want the stuff gone and out of here. Afterwards...can look into buying the extra odd attachment for the tractor and consider the odd side job. Just gotta build a trailer to haul it on. I have axles to do it and material for the frame. But thats for later.
[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2013-12-01 16:08 ]

Although I don't play very much at all anymore due to life and work being busy, I often lurk here.. on the forums keeping an eye on Darkspace news and forum chatter. I had to comment on the above quote as I too apprenticed for an old mechanic (not a grandfather but close) and learned the ways of working on older vehicles from the 50's to late 80's models. My day to day vehicle is a 1975 F100 4x4 with a 5" lift, 351M, aftermarket cam, lifters and Magnaflow exhaust and my camping toy is a 1974 Jeep J20 pickup with a stock 401 and a Holley Street Avenger 4bbl performance carburetor.

When I'm not lurking or playing I'm workin' on my old trucks, playing XBL or out of town in the bush with my ATV and the wife.

Goto the website of 0stego
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2013-12-03 00:02   
not exactly a reading habit, but i have a tall tower of textbooks on my computer table

im no architect

it can fall any time

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-12-03 02:39   

I've been wanting to get back into the game, but the new job's been taking a toll on my free time to play games, create new models, or generally even enjoy myself. Management's no fun, it's all fool-itics and crap, and more crappy people to deal with.

Anyway, on DS:
I've been slowly working on 2 new models. Both NPC factions.
I'm planning to add a couple more cruisers and then work my way to destroyers and below after that. Inspiration has been lacking lately due to work stress.

Outside DS:
Absolutely no new games. No time for those, though I'm waiting for the PC release of GTA:V.

Also trying to at least spend a weekend day away from the PC and room. Either out driving, or tearing up the backroads on the motorcycle. Gotta get out more often. Maybe blinging up the bike, heh. Gotta love big boys toys. Expensive, though.

Ah yes, got myself a balisong, and am learning some new flipping tricks on it. Pretty fun till you bruise a knuckle from the recoil, or get a cut from the wrong side of the blade. LOL. Looking at importing throwing knives and spikes next. Gotta figure out how to get them past customs though.

That's it I guess. Hope I can get my head together soon to churn out those models.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-12-03 04:50   
free time whats that anymore?

Email Borgie
Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2013-12-06 15:07   
Reading, prefer thrillers, Steven King and Patricia Higsmith.

Visit the family.

Movies. Sci-Fi, Thriller , mostly 80´s 90´s or 70´s.

My garden.

Need to do more sports again, racing bikes, soccer.

Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2013-12-08 23:47   
I am a pretty big reader myself. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy. I also read Weber's Honor Harrington series and just about every other book that he has put out. Out of the 53 books he wrote that I know of, I have read 47 of them if I counted right, lol. The Honor Harrington series is a great series but certainly not for eveyone. You have to be able to tolerate a decent amount of politics.

Used to draw a decent amount but haven't done much for a couple years.

Other than that I am normally hanging out with my girl or other friends. Of course there is also work which always has a way of draining so much of the time...

[ This Message was edited by: Silent Threat { Vier } on 2013-12-08 23:48 ]

Entil-Zha the Starkiller
Chief Marshal
Ravenous Wolfpack Clan

Posted: 2013-12-09 20:11   
And draining money. Commuting 42mi 1-way sucks. Thank goodness for carpooling now and got a 30yr old gas sipper to help in that regard now...cut my monthly gas bill by half.

I used to do some drawing but lack the skill for anything complex. I can "see" what I want but the translation between mind and paper gets lost somehow. Drawing however comes easy to both my sisters (both younger...by 4 and 14 years respectively).

Glad to be seeing that DS isn't quite as full of lobby campers as it sometime seems.

[ This Message was edited by: Entil-Zha the Starkiller on 2013-12-12 19:00 ]

Oskar von Reuenthal
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-02-19 10:30   
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 02:39, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Ah yes, got myself a balisong, and am learning some new flipping tricks on it. Pretty fun till you bruise a knuckle from the recoil, or get a cut from the wrong side of the blade. LOL. Looking at importing throwing knives and spikes next. Gotta figure out how to get them past customs though.

\

where did you buy your balisong kenny?
Xenophon Excelsior, By the grace of God, Sultan of Snark, brother of the Sun and Moon, grandson and vicegerent of God, sovereign of all kingdoms: of Sol, Kaus Borealis, and Tetra, of Dres Kona and Delta Pavonis: king of kings, ruler of all that exists;

Page created in 0.016875 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR