No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Prestiege loss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Prestiege loss.
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-23 16:20   
If you're losing more prestige than you gain it's because you're dying too much in ships that carry a high prestige penalty for losing them. Don't stick around inside an Interdictor field, and jump out when your hull starts getting to around 50%. If you have trouble doing that then stay out of the Dreadnoughts no matter how tempting it may be and use smaller ships until you get the hang of it, even Frigates can be effective combat ships and you lose no prestige if you die while using one.

The biggest mistake a DS player can make is assuming that bigger ship=better ship because that's quite often not the case, especially not with the changes in 1.7.

Quote:
On 2013-12-22 02:19, Azreal wrote:
So, the reason against it is because of self destructs?

Um. Are ya'll just not able to disable sd? Apparently ya'll don't want us doing it, so wth is it in the game, thereby necessitating all of this other.........nm....I don't really care.
I have my pres.

It's more that prestige gain is really high compared to how it was in the past, a halfway decent player can hit Admiral in a couple days just by shooting at AI, and a good player can almost do it in one day. Granted it's not as bad since prestige gain for armor/shield damage was lowered but it's still high enough where the only way you'll lose pres is if you're inexperienced and keep dying in ships you don't yet know how to make the most of, or if you're using suicide tactics.

The issue with self destructing in particular is what we saw before pres loss was bumped up where people would jump a Station or Dreadnought into a handful of platforms then SD to clear them out and actually GAIN prestige for doing it (if I remember right you've done this a few times yourself, Az). Or the people who would jump a Station or Dreadnought into the middle of an enemy fleet and die within 30 seconds, but still come out with a net gain of prestige due to the damage they caused when they blew up.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-23 22:53   
Im sorry, but NO PLAYER straight in off the steet is going to go admiral in a day. Me thinks u exagerate.

I did do some kamis. Kami was a statistic. I've smacked planets before too. Maybe that should also be disabled.
[ This Message was edited by: Azreal on 2013-12-23 22:55 ]

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-12-23 23:35   
I'm in favour of starting a new badge type -

Behold, the Planet-Magnet Badge!

Awarded for collisions into planets - No pres change other than standard loss of resources for ship class.

When you get your Platinum you get relegated to shunting troops around in transport pods alone and lose the ability to fly ALL ships as you obviously can't be trusted with bright shiny things.

I'd qualify for my Bronze already and I really would want to get no more!

Am I even serious? I don't know, sounds funny though! : P

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XI] on 2013-12-23 23:39 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-24 00:57   
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 22:53, Azreal wrote:
Im sorry, but NO PLAYER straight in off the steet is going to go admiral in a day. Me thinks u exagerate.

I did do some kamis. Kami was a statistic. I've smacked planets before too. Maybe that should also be disabled.

By "good player" I mean someone who's been around a while and knows what they're doing, if new players were hitting Admiral in a day then yeah.....there'd be something wrong with that picture.

Piotr-san
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2013-12-24 14:26   
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 16:20, Talien wrote:
If you're losing more prestige than you gain it's because you're dying too much in ships that carry a high prestige penalty for losing them. Don't stick around inside an Interdictor field, and jump out when your hull starts getting to around 50%. If you have trouble doing that then stay out of the Dreadnoughts no matter how tempting it may be and use smaller ships until you get the hang of it, even Frigates can be effective combat ships and you lose no prestige if you die while using one.

The biggest mistake a DS player can make is assuming that bigger ship=better ship because that's quite often not the case, especially not with the changes in 1.7.

Quote:

Um. Are ya'll just not able to disable sd? Apparently ya'll don't want us doing it, so wth is it in the game, thereby necessitating all of this other.........nm....I don't really care.
I have my pres.

It's more that prestige gain is really high compared to how it was in the past, a halfway decent player can hit Admiral in a couple days just by shooting at AI, and a good player can almost do it in one day. Granted it's not as bad since prestige gain for armor/shield damage was lowered but it's still high enough where the only way you'll lose pres is if you're inexperienced and keep dying in ships you don't yet know how to make the most of, or if you're using suicide tactics.

The issue with self destructing in particular is what we saw before pres loss was bumped up where people would jump a Station or Dreadnought into a handful of platforms then SD to clear them out and actually GAIN prestige for doing it (if I remember right you've done this a few times yourself, Az). Or the people who would jump a Station or Dreadnought into the middle of an enemy fleet and die within 30 seconds, but still come out with a net gain of prestige due to the damage they caused when they blew up.

Personally I don't give a damn about new players. Lets give them a hard time, let them get de-ranked all the time and let them quite the game in the end. Let the game die because the few of us can gain prestige but mostly don't give a damn about it at all, really.

The number of new players in a dying game is not important, right ? You obviously have higher priorities, right ? What the hell are you guys smoking up there ?

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-24 17:31   
DS has always had a high learning curve. The best thing the more experienced players can do is explain things to newcomers instead of just using them as prestige farms so they don't have to stumble through everything on their own via trial and error. If you see new players having a hard time take a few minutes and give them some pointers even if they're on another faction.

What we don't need is people being able to rank up no matter how bad their tactics are and end up filling the MV with Dreadnoughts and Stations while learning nothing in the process aside from "point jump and mash spacebar until you die", that's exactly what we had in 1.5x and it was horrible.

Bizaro
Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-24 23:09   
Quote:

Quote:

I have my pres.

I know i keep dieing the the big circle around planets , I try and fly away but it doesnt end! Jumping out doesnt work im confused ..

Bizaro
Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-24 23:31   
At the moment the gameplay is set way to slow, To reach any progress you have to spend atleast a few years playing honestly. Prestiege gain is way to slow. You could raise exp gain and change modifications to prestiege instead of resources.

- Ship Equiptment costs prestiege.
- New ships bought costs Prestiege, Cant just pick what ever ship you want to use then remove it, Have to spend hard worked exp on buying what you want to fly.
-SD should be removed its really useless in this build now, I see no reason to use it besides letting the other player get the pres for killing the person.
- Automatic grouping with a timeout if your afk (no alert to kickout of group 5-10m)
- A special minable ore to repair youre ship after death ( and only after death) Or make ships take a penality %1-2 per death that requires the special ore to repair.

Orkan [OO-XII]
Grand Admiral
The Myrmidon Legion

Posted: 2013-12-25 00:59   
Quote:
Ent wrote:

I admit, that there are some weird incentives going on in that prestige gain heavily favors combat, which it should. But the rewards for other activities which tie directly into combat is actually quite low. Which is shame, because those are also important parts of the game. So I think we should really consider how important we can make the OOC timer to prestige gain.

I think all non-combat roles should be given combat-level prestige gain if they are in combat. They should be put in combat for doing those non-combat roles, on things that are in combat. This is shown as an example of:

Planets that are under attack (bombers hitting planets are already put in combat, transports that drop infantry should too).

Ships that are under attack (EWAR can only be used in combat range for effectiveness, and supply that is used in combat range should have a higher rate of gain).

This way, there isn't just one route to the top. Teamwork should be important.

During heated battles manual resource transfer to frontline planets using transports or even the mining of resources direct is an underated way to help your team which carries no pres benefit but does have a practical outcome - your team ships can keep on transfering from sector to sector and new allies can login at the besieged planet. In a prolonged standoff one of the main reasons for abandoning a planet is often it can no longer support the transfer cost of new ships (eg transport ships shunting troops from server to server to reinforce after invasion, or res or simply new log ons.)

Topping up platforms in strategic locations also is thankless but carries with it team benefits. This logistical support often occurs where the Out of Combat timer would not appear if you are not under direct enemy fire. Very few players and it seems only the most dedicated take the time to do these prestigeless taks. The same is said for E-war and PD'ing enemy fighters, mines or missiles.

For some reason I find myself assuming these roles all too often as many seem unwilling to do these things, most probably due to the fact that you only gain indirect prestige through grouping for such tasks.
My problem has become that my pres gain due to this has become extremely slow so I make sure to balance it with combat or constructions roles for example. I have no problem with this for patience is a virtue.

Someone mentioned in another thread how the human factions are not 'smart' enough to bring Ewar to battles vs K'luth. I cannot speak for UGTO fleets but with ICC every Ewar ship is one less combat ship, and we have the lowest Firepower and need all the DPS we can get. Add that to the fact that there is no direct prestige gain presently for E-war and you can begin to understand why up-and-coming pilots feel that their progress up the ranks doing this will be too slow so treat it as a bad idea.

Ent is correct about saying teamwork roles should be rewarded.

Quote:
On 2013-12-24 23:09, Bizaro wrote:

I know i keep dieing the the big circle around planets , I try and fly away but it doesnt end! Jumping out doesnt work im confused ..

It sounds like you keep getting stuck in a planetary Interdictor (Dico) field. These extend to 1000gu around a planet. It's criminal that your teammates haven't helped you out with this vital piece of knowledge! You are a Grand Admiral Vet of 9 years standing with many hours of play under your belt I really shouldn't be telling you these things, I have played for less than you and am a lower rank than you!
The quickest way out is a straight line outwards from the planets core - keep the planet to your back and max speed directly away from the Planet trapping you. An interdictor field is not time based but permanent! The red graphic can be misleading as it projects out according to where on the surface of the planet the Interdictor structure is placed but it extends out to 1000gu from the planet nonetheless. Your Jump Drive is disabled for as long as you are within 1000gu of a planet with a functioning Interdictor structure. Beware of combat in these zones and always plan your way out and save some armour for your exit, remember not only are you under planetary bombardment but also you can be in combat with enemy ships, which is often very distracting.

Have you tried plotting a manual course and jumping away through a friendly Dico so the enemy cannot follow you? That's a great stay-alive tactic.

Join a Fleet Bizaro, assuming you haven't already, I really couldn't recommend it more!

Quote:
On 2013-12-24 23:31, Bizaro wrote:
At the moment the gameplay is set way to slow, To reach any progress you have to spend atleast a few years playing honestly. Prestiege gain is way to slow. You could raise exp gain and change modifications to prestiege instead of resources.

It really isn't. I know two fellow Fleet members one who has reached Marshal in just 10 months of play and another who is almost Admiral in just one month - and we are on ICC. The key factor is knowing when you must leave the fight and jump away/cloak - allow for lag in damage as it can catch up to you and cause death even in jump. People should be up for helping you with any questions you may have for the general benefit of DS as a whole no matter the faction as Talien just said.

You can do a number of things to increase your prestige gain. Make sure you are grouped. Subscribe to the game for a 10% prestige gain bonus or even buy build drone enhancements and slap em on an engineer to increase build speed and get useful in constructing planets. Construction is a great way to earn prestige and upgraded build drones increase the rate at which you can build structures and platforms.

I have spent 3 years getting to Admiral, my first year was very slow but that was largely coz I kept myself to myself and didn't really talk much or ask questions. I also had an unwise habit of just logging in to the MV or scenario and going afk, or setting 'f' onto friendly ai to just hitch a ride. Many times upon my return I would see my ship destroyed through collision or combat or even through those planetary defense missiles that used to be launched from a planet many years ago. I used to enjoy DS as a kind of interactive screen saver. Bad move.
I stopped all that and began to take the game much more seriously. Travelling and other responsibilities meant I couldn't always play when I wanted to.
I have thought a few times of starting up again to see how good I really could be but in the end I have just learned from my mistakes and carried on. Being involved in a Fleet is a great way to go.
Hope things change for you like they did for me. That's my sharing for Darkspace Anonymous. : P

See you in the MV B.

Quote:

Piotr-san wrote:

Personally I don't give a damn about new players. Lets give them a hard time, let them get de-ranked all the time and let them quite the game in the end. Let the game die because the few of us can gain prestige but mostly don't give a damn about it at all, really.

The number of new players in a dying game is not important, right ? You obviously have higher priorities, right ? What the hell are you guys smoking up there ?

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. I hope you are being sarcastic because new players should be supported in DS no matter the faction. It's up to the big guys to help the little guys along especially those who have reached the Top Ranks. You have a wealth of experience which can help so many people out. It is too easy to say you don't care about prestige as a Chief Marshal when you have access to all the ships but prestige is not something to gloat over but akin to 'experience points' in other games and is necessary to be able to gain new ships, which is what all Pilots eventually want.

Piotrek, get back to me on this, I hope I haven't misunderstood you.

(Narazie)

Laters.

[ This Message was edited by: Orkan [OO-XI] on 2013-12-25 03:42 ]

Email Orkan [OO-XII]
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-25 09:59   
Quote:
On 2013-12-25 00:59, Orkan [OO-XI] wrote:
Someone mentioned in another thread how the human factions are not 'smart' enough to bring Ewar to battles vs K'luth. I cannot speak for UGTO fleets but with ICC every Ewar ship is one less combat ship, and we have the lowest Firepower and need all the DPS we can get. Add that to the fact that there is no direct prestige gain presently for E-war and you can begin to understand why up-and-coming pilots feel that their progress up the ranks doing this will be too slow so treat it as a bad idea.

Well, EWAR also doesn't feel very effective because of the way cloak works at the moment. Chitin armor with its higher HP also makes ICC combat weapons seem inferior.

Testing in Beta with Jim, I've found that ICC ships can take out ships that they are specifically designed to against Kluth now that cloak isn't spammable and their HP isn't as high as UGTO. Some example battles with Kluth ships at a disadvantage:

Mauler vs. Combat Dessy = CD win

Ravager vs. Combat Dessy = Ravager win

Ravager vs. Border Cruiser = Border Cruiser win

Naga vs. Border Cruiser = Naga win

Naga vs. Combat Dread = Combat Dread win

Stalker vs. Combat Dread = Combat Dread win, 73% hull

Scythe vs. Combat Dread = Combat Dread win, 32% hull

Some notes about new cloak influences on tactics:

Timing. I must use cloak when its best for me to use it. I don't need to keep ECM on, they need to keep ECCM on. Wait for weapons to discharge, wait for sig to get as low as possible when I need it to, and burn as little energy as possible getting into cloak.

Sense of urgency When I go into cloak, I have a window of opportunity to engage. I have enough armor to withstand some fire, but I need to save it for the assault. I must keep pressing the attack. I cannot loiter. I am in control of the battlefield.

Energy management If you burn too much energy on your assault, you won't get to cloak again. Keep your sig low, keep your energy high. You're going to need teamwork and the right ships. No more solo play unless you are good.

Firing while cloaking will raise your signature, but if your signature is still less than zero, that cloaking is still free. You can ghost fire towards ships without energy cost (the Mauler can do this and help other ships do it at the same time, as an example).

Signature managementis important, as whatever your current signature is determines the current cloak rate. Using ECCM/ECM all the time drains a lot of energy, so being aware of your visibility and current battlefield conditions is important.

While Kluth suspect that human players will just camp around planets, they do this already. And Kluth has zero trouble penetrating current defenses with zero risk. This will change. You will not want to attempt to fly a dread solo into a dictor field anymore. Kluth does have long range capability comparable to other factions and can mount sieges if they choose to do so.

They can, because of cloak, mount the kinds of flanking assaults other factions can only dream about. The game's ships are designed around being individually capable but powerful in a group. Numbers always prevail. Something we can't balance.

[ This Message was edited by: Ent on 2013-12-25 10:43 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2013-12-26 09:20   
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 18:54, Bizaro wrote:
I'v tried to play and have fun but at most i just see about 15 players on at any giving time (thats a high figure) and 2 new players within 4 months ( thats a good year right?). But I've canceled my mothly subscription no offense but its too time consumeing to make any progress in this game. And the ones who are bitching about making it eaiser are the ones with 900,000+ prestiege and dont even have to worrie about any type of loss.

there are only 6 people with +900k pres and none of them bitched about making it easier, this game in its current form is proably the easiest this game has been. back when i started playing it took awhile before you could fly anything other then a dessie, let alone cruisers. now a days you can group with someone and with in a few hours your already in cruisers, with in a week or so your flying dreds, with in months stations. how much easier do you people want it?

Email Borgie
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-27 05:10   
The game is not what it was when you started. Gaming on the net in general is not what it was when you first started. The playerbase of this or most other games is not what it was when you first started. There wasn't really ai most likely when you first started. Capping an enemy ship was 2x points and both ships went to the sy, when u first started. We could glass a planet with a tranny and cap in one pass, back when you started. We could mod up dreads full of flux waves, back when you first started. We could fire while cloaked, back when you first started. We saw larve spitting ICC missle dreads, back when you first started.

I could go on and on. Displaying 6 people's stats and saying that their say is more important than anyone else's is just a stupid arguement. Some of them started under much more favorable game mechanics than others. DS is not static, its a bandaid from hell. A 13 year old bandaid.

The gaming world we live in now wants more depth for all that grind. Face it, ds is about as deep as Miley Cyrus' morality. Spawn a ship, shoot a ship, heal a ship rinse repeat. You want somebody to spend a year and a half to 2 years of semi-casual play to get to a higher rank, and the gaming world just laughs at you. And there isn't any decent wallet-warrior style of grind that will allow an older, less patient, deep pocketed player to become competetive either. Ya'll cant figure out why your game wont attract more players, and you just keep painting up the same stale 13 year old carrot and dangling it out there.

Old versions, old days, what took place before is absolutely irrelevant to the current gaming market. Adapt or die. It works in every facet of life, the gaming industry is not immune to this. DS merely benefits from the fact that F makes enough money to keep the server running, and that's all he seems to want out of it.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Boerenkool
Marshal

Posted: 2013-12-27 06:09   
lol u list so many changes then say the game hasnt changed enough.

All new players make a prestige loss post, its a phase in their growth. Let us support him to the next phase:)

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2013-12-28 09:23   
Quote:
Or the people who would jump a Station or Dreadnought into the middle of an enemy fleet and die within 30 seconds, but still come out with a net gain of prestige due to the damage they caused when they blew up.

Uggies gonna station planet camp, enemies gotta come up with new fun ways to gain pres.
Many of mine and Borgies stations were lost that day.
[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2013-12-28 09:24 ]

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2013-12-28 11:45   
Is it really such a bad thing to have people throw ships at the enemy with reckless abandon? I mean, really... HOW is that a bad thing when people no longer hold back? Because, guess what... that means that BOTH sides can now... as for the SDing, make pres loss & res loss just for SDing - or for SDing and for T3 dreads and/or Stations... something that gives folks an incentive to get INTO battle and not run away at the first sign of armor damage. Has ANY thought to the effect that dynamic might have on combat?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025816 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR