No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Ramdisk
 Author Ramdisk
Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-12 18:35   
I just thought it would be cool to suggest reinstalling Darkspace on a Ram Disk.

Normally when the client opens i wait anywhere from 10-25 seconds for loadup on a 7200rpm HDD. Using Dataram RAMDisk, I was able to dedicate 4gb of my RAM to act as a drive. I setup DS on that "disk" and my loadup time was instant. Not joking at all. As soon as the client opened there was at most a half second of blank screen and then the game was loaded and ready.

I realize that a lot of systems do not have the available RAM to make effective use of this program. The purpose of RAMDISK is to speed up load times beyond that of even an SSD, but if you allocate too much RAM, then your computer will start paging more to the HDD or SSD which will actually slow down your machine.

For a program like DS, 1gb is more than enough to allocate for this program. It speeds up GCQL loading and pretty much everything else, but you have to make sure you install it TO THE RAMDISK DRIVE.

The sad thing is that most modern games are often more than 5-7gb, which means that unless you have 12gb or more of RAM, you won't be able to fully install a game on a RAMDisk drive.

If you have a system that can handle making effective use of this program then try it out and post how it worked. If you don't notice an improvement in loading time then your machine probably cannot handle it or the drive was not configured correctly.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2014-01-12 19:06   
Quote:
On 2014-01-12 18:35, Zylgrox wrote:
I just thought it would be cool to suggest reinstalling Darkspace on a Ram Disk.

Normally when the client opens i wait anywhere from 10-25 seconds for loadup on a 7200rpm HDD.

Might want to consider upgrading your HDD, or defragging it, or looking at what software you have running : DarkSpace should take no more than 5 or so seconds to load.

Ignorance
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-12 22:17   
Well I was thinking the same thing, but I noticed that I had enough RAM to make effective use of it as a drive, so it worked out that I already knew about the ramdisk program. And the 10-25 is a rough estimate. I don't actually keep track of it, it normally just felt that long.

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2014-01-13 23:35   
could also install darkspace on a SSD for a very similar effect

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Page created in 0.008727 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR